Can I use Bisquick this way....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
Is there any difference such as texture,etc... If baked a cake with bisquick baking mix verse say one of the well known cake box companys.

Bisquick makes a great coffee cake. The recipe is usually on the box. If not, go to the Bisquick website -- lots of recipes there.

bisquick

I have been to their web site. Wanted to know much taste differrence in bisquick cakes verse popular known cake mixes boxes. Bland or any thing, one over other?

Last edited:
I have only made coffee cakes from Bisquick. They have a different texture from regular cake mixes, but are very good.

Google "Sarah's Bisquick Cake". It sounds good. Also, if you just Google "Bisquick Cakes", you might get more information. Good luck.

Shortcake. Fresh mascerated strawberries with hot shortcake right out of the oven, with whipped cream. Heaven!

I've done both Bisquick recipes, the coffee cake and the shortcake. The coffee cake was good (but I'm not a big eater of coffee cake). I do my strawberry shortcake the same as Zhizara, right off the Bisquick package. IMO once you've tried this crunchy shortcake you'll never buy commercial "sponge" shortcake ever again. Add fresh sliced strawberries and freshly whipped cream and it's the best possible strawberry shortcake.

Is there any difference such as texture,etc... If baked a cake with bisquick baking mix verse say one of the well known cake box companys.

Bisquick has fat in it so you'll need to adjust your recipe. It also will produce a cake with a different texture.

There is really no way the taste of something can be conveyed perfectly accurately. And until we have "Taste-o-Net" on the Internet, the best way for you to determine the differences is to bake a cake using a mix, probably a plain yellow cake (none of the butter-flavored, etc.) and bake a Bisquick one and do a a side-by-side taste test.

bisquick

when you say the texture will be differrent...how so?

I wonder if anybody ever thought of making quick biscuits with Bisquick... ;)

Funny, my Bisquick shortcake is crunchy just like quick biscuits. That's why it's so good, the crunchy shortcake, the fresh juicy fruit and the sweet creamy whipped cream on top. As far as I'm concerned the product would be a success even if this was the only thing it was good for.

Bisquick was designed and optimized for making quick biscuits, and secondarily as an all purpose baking mix. There were trade-offs. You won't get as light and as fluffy cake as when using cake mixes. If you use those cake mixes to make biscuits your biscuits won't be crunchy.

Everything considered it's a pretty good product, and can be pressed into service to make a lot of things... quickly.

bisquick

sorry if this is a silly question.....but you can also make your own mix yourself,so would the texture every one is talking about be the same even with these homemade ones also? I never came across this before in baking ,this is new to me. Usually made every thing from scratch. Is there a reason beside its faster to use this made up product? I can't seem to grasp why you would really want to use it,seeing it really doesn't seem to take that long to make it from scratch....maybe a few more minutes. But boy is it worth it.

Another thing you might do is compare a biscuit recipe with a cake recipe. Not only are the ingredients different, but the way they are put together is also different.

If you are willing/interested in/to make your own biscuit mix why in the world would you think of making cake with it? Instead if just making a cake? Ai yi yi

Bisquick does have preservatives in it for shelf life. Homemade mix doesn't and needs to be kept in the fridge so the fat won't go rancid on you. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom