Can you freeze macaroni and cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do. I suggest defrosting it first, then reheating on half power, stirring part of the way. It might get a little thicker/drier than when it was first made. If that happens, I add a little half and half or milk when I stir it. Seeing as how it's always eaten up, freezing it can't be all wrong!

I do. I suggest defrosting it first, then reheating on half power, stirring part of the way. It might get a little thicker/drier than when it was first made. If that happens, I add a little half and half or milk when I stir it. Seeing as how it's always eaten up, freezing it can't be all wrong!
This is what Id recommend, too.

It can separate when reheating. Stirring will generally fix it.

I guess I should have mentioned. I generally freeze in my little individual cast iron pans. I will pop them (frozen) in a hot oven (400F) with a foil cover on them. Check them at 30 minutes or so, if centre has softened I remove foil to finish for about another 15 minutes. Should be bubbly around the edges and toasty spots on top.
I also freeze them in individual stoneware ramekins. For some reason I generally defrost these partially before reheating, as done above.
Never had them separate, so no need to stir.

If you do this, make sure to boil the macaroni al dente, meaning stop cooking them when the are almost done. They will continue to cook in the reheating process and will likely turn to moosh.

I agree with the above post about either thawing it in the fridge the night before and add milk/half and half or whatever liquid cream of your choosing before putting in the oven or watching it at 15-30 minute intervals stir and add if necessary.

I personally like mine thawed so I can give it a good stir and check the moisture before. I cover with tin foil for about 20 minutes (thawed) at 375. Stir add more moisture if needed. Remove foil and bake until light bubbles happens over the top.

This is great to do right before Thanksgiving, Christmas or gifting out!

Back
Top Bottom