Cannelé de Bordeaux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miluku0310

Assistant Cook
Inspired by the french pastries, I have finally decided to start my first attempt in making Cannelé de Bordeaux. For those who haven’t had them, cannelés are little fluted cakes with a rich rum and vanilla interior enclosed by a thin caramelized shell, simply delicious.They are off-sweet and perfect with a cup of coffee, tea, or even a glass of wine. Cannelé require specialty molds, ideally copper ones that are often expensive and hard to come by. I bought mine on Amazon and it costs me a fortune but they works like wonder. There are also alternatives, fluted molds made from tin and from silicon. From my pass previous attempts, silicon molds simply won’t do for making cannelés. Although this is my first year of baking, I hope that this is a fine starting point for me :)
So enjoy everybody ~~

Cannelés de Bordeaux (for 16 cannelés):

1L of milk
250g of cake flour
500g of sugar
250g of butter (non-salty)
2 whole eggs and 5 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean (preferable) If you can't find it, simply use pure vanilla extract which can be easily found at your local supermarket.
7g of fleur de sel (flower of salt)
1 tablespoon of dark rum
10g of beeswax
canola oil

1. In a saucepan, heat the milk, vanilla bean (simply mince it in order to the its maximum aroma), butter and salt. When the milk starts bubbling, turn off the heat and set it aside for it to cool for about 10-15 minutes. NB. Do not go to the next step until the milk is cool.

2. In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. With a net filter on top of the bowl, pour the milk into the flour mixture and start mixing the batter.

3. Add rum into the batter. On another bowl, beat 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks together and then pour it into the batter. Mix it evenly.

4. Leave the cannelé batter in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours.
NB. this is the ESSENTIAL part of making cannelés bordeaux, you want to make sure that the batter rest for at least 24 hours before you bake it, if not, you will turn out having soufflés for dessert.

5. Before 5-6 hours of baking, you want to coat your copper molds with "white oil".
To make "white oil", heat beeswax in a saucepan.When the beeswax melted, gradually stir in enough canola oil to make a whitened mixture, light enough to coat the back of a spoon. Then, coat your molds with the white oil and put them in the fridge until needed.

6. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place chilled molds on baking sheet. Stir the batter and then fill mold almost to the top. Place on lower oven rack.

7. For the first 10 minutes, bake the cannelés at 200°C, then, turn the heat down to 180°C and bake it for 45 to 50 minutes (depending on how dark you want your cannelés to be) Personally, I like it medium dark, so I bake it for 45 minutes. Remove from oven.

8. Take out the cannelés from the mold and leave it at room temperature before serving. ( Cannelé are believed to be best 1 to 5 hours after baking). ENJOY!

photo.php

photo.php

Hi KathleenA, thanks for the reply ^^
The silicon molds works, however, it does not give the dark-tense color and the shape as the copper ones do.
By any chance you come across a silicon mold and a copper mold, you should definitely do the experiment and you will see + taste the difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom