Canning Argentine Chimichurri

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClaudioFL

Assistant Cook
How do I go about canning Argentine Chimichurri? Should I do it as a water bath or pressure canning? it has oil but it also has vinegar and water.
Here is the recipe I use...

Argentine Chimichurri:
5 Cups of fresh parsley leaves, chopped.
5 Cups of Olive oil
1 Cup of Wine Vinegar
1 Cup of water (This is so the oil and vinegar can actually MIX)
1-1/2 Cups total of various spices including salt.

This yields aprox Five 12oz jars worth.
Usually its put away in a jar and never opened again until it is about to be used. No idea what the shelf life is, but in my experience I've had it sit in the pantry for months and it actually tastes better than when you consume it freshly made. Once I open it I refrigerate it until its all gone.
I'm thinking I should be canning it just to be safe?
I know in the fridge it can go for a couple of years easily.
We eat it so fast its never gone bad lol

Can anyone help with the time and Method?
Thank you.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Sorry, but a mixture with that much oil, as well as fresh herbs, is not safe for home canning. Botulinum bacteria can survive and grow in that environment. Also, canning fresh herbs destroys their fresh flavors. It's much safer and tastier to make it fresh.

I'm really surprised that you keep it for months in the pantry. That is not safe at all.

Last edited:
+1!!

You've been extremely lucky. Did you live in Florida a few years back when there was a botulism problem with commercially prepared chopped garlic in olive oil?

Keeping out of the fridge in a jar with a tight lid is a common practice. I'm thinking its more than luck. Maybe the ingredients do something? the Vinegar, Garlic, Bay Lear? not sure lol
Chimichurri is sold commercially. It can sit on a shelf not refrigerated for months. How do these companies do it?
Thank you for making the effort to reply to my post. I look forward to more input from the forum.

Keeping out of the fridge in a jar with a tight lid is a common practice. I'm thinking its more than luck. Maybe the ingredients do something? the Vinegar, Garlic, Bay Lear? not sure lol
Chimichurri is sold commercially. It can sit on a shelf not refrigerated for months. How do these companies do it?
Thank you for making the effort to reply to my post. I look forward to more input from the forum.
I don't know how common it is, but it's still very unsafe. As I'm sure you know, oil and vinegar don't mix. So placing botulinum bacteria from fresh herbs and garlic in oil creates the perfect anaerobic environment for it to grow in.

Commercial food companies are required to use equipment and processes to acidify their products, which are not available to the home cook.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation is the gold standard for home canning information. This is what they say about fresh herbs in oil.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31

You might want to read up on Clostridium botulinum.
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...ss-and-disease/clostridium-botulinum/ct_index

Thank you for the reply.
Just texted with a former owner of a two man company that manufactured and sold it.
They had to pay for a label listing ingredients and a bar code. As for canning... He told me they had to pay for a lab test to make sure it was safe to keep on a self and they passed... No canning... The kitchen had to be all stainless steel and pass an inpection.
Why would canning it make it less safe? He did say all the herbs and spices where dehydrated (no fresh parsley). Still all the oil, vinegar and water where in it. Oil and Vinegar DO mix, if you add water to it... try it! =)
After all this, I'm more confused than when I sated lol
Again. Thank you so much to all that are taking the time to answer =))
Anyone have any personal knowledge with what I'm trying to research?

Anyone have any personal knowledge with what I'm trying to research?
I have been canning using approved recipes and guidelines for over 10 years, and continually reading about it, if that's what you mean.

My regular salad dressing is Italian with olive oil, red wine vinegar, water and dried herbs and spices. It separates even with the water - vinegar is a water-based liquid, after all; it's only there to dilute the vinegar. They mix together, but the oil separates unless I add an emulsifier like mustard or mayonnaise.

I encourage you to read all of this article: https://www.healthycanning.com/fat-and-oil-in-home-canning/

Last edited:
Claudio,
I have been canning for forty years'
I have canned meat, soup with meat, chili, veggies
I would not can this with that much olive oil, But
what you an do is can the rest of the ingredients minus
the olive oil. When you open a jar add the olive oil.
simple solution.
No one here is going to tell you to can it the way of the
orginal recipe because of the liability involved. If you need
more help let me know. :)
Ps my first name is Claudia.

Josie

That's a great solution! I will be able to make it cheaper for gift giving and I can use a smaller jar. Cheaper to ship also...
I'm very new to canning and it probably shows lol but I'm okay with that =)
Still, I find it odd that it can be sold as is without canning... Maybe there is a common preservative in it! I'll do a little research on that...
Thank you again =)) Claudia =P
Also: what is your favorite recipe for Pumpkin Jam? for canning of course...

Back
Top Bottom