Pressure Canning - how to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyPNW

Master Chef
I'm thinking it is time to learn pressure canning. But I do find it intimidating. So, I'm counting on the DC experts!

Where does one start? I have a regular pressure cooker and I use it without issues. What do I need to know about Pressure Canners? Pros, cons? I like to make things at home instead of buying canned food. At this point, I use vacuum sealed bags and the freezer. It sure would be nice to free up some freezer space.

I do have equipment that I use for water bath canning. What else to I need. What do I need to look for in a Pressure Canner?

Thanks for any and all input!!
animated-cook-and-chef-image-0020.gif

I really like this book. The "Canning Diva" has a section about how to select a pressure canner. Now, I absolutely love The All American Pressure Canner, but I cannot justify the cost....yet. I am totally my mother's child so I will haunt thrift stores and estate sales for it. I ended up buying a Presto canner that was on-sale during prime day. Pressure cookers intimidate me too. My mother and I were cleaning the kitchen when her pressure cooker blew a seal and sent a chicken cascading all over the room. It was a mess....and terrifying. However, I've calmed down and am now looking into pressure canning with three words: I. Like. Soup.

I find her information helpful and encouraging. She gives great tips and is easily understood. Also, you can find the book in great shape used. <-- My mother's child. :D

Check out the government canning sites. They have excellent information about all sorts of canning. I'm pretty sure they will let you know how to know if a specific pressure canner is up to par for safe pressure canning. I had a Presto pressure canner. It came with good instructions and, IIRC, some recipes. I had been skeptical/afraid of pressure cookers/canners until I saw the way the flanges on the Presto are part of the pot and part of the lid. They are not added afterwards. One would have to go to great lengths to make one blow up. OTOH, I have also heard a story about a pressure cooker that blew a vent and sent an entire chicken out through the tiny hole. Apparently, some of the chicken was embedded in the ceiling. That chicken had been cooked on too hot for too long. A little bit of caution and paying attention goes a long way.

I never had any issues with the Presto I had. I even used it to pressure can stuff that could have been water bath canned. Never had a single jar that didn't seal. Also, it uses less water and doesn't heat up the kitchen as much.

Yay, pressure canning is great.
If you are on facebook join the group Canning and Preserving with Love: https://www.facebook.com/groups/115527902373035
They have videos on pressure canning that might help. Lots of good advice there.
I use an antique pressure canner (Magic Seal) I bought from my husband before we were together for $10. Seals, pressure buttons, gauges, rockers and parts for pressure canners can be bought from https://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/Wards-Magic-Seal-Pressure-Cooker-Parts.htm The parts and seals are pretty inexpensive.
I've used the pressure canner for kale, green beans, corn, potatoes, mushrooms, peppers, peppers and onions, onions, and probably more.
(look up what brand is approved and tested)
Get most of your advice from NCHFP National Center for Home Food Preservation. So a google search would be: NCHFP canning green beans. This will give you the head space required, the minimum pressure required, the amount of time to pressure can/size of jar.
And we can help too.

Thank you all, for the info, so far!! @Kathleen & @taxlady - should I assume that your "Presto" was a stove top? I'm thinking I might be more comfortable with electric, due to the induction cooktop.

@blissful - Appreciate the input & I'll check things, except FB...I do not FB.

I have induction and use a stove-top pressure canner. Use the magnet test to check if your intended canner is magnetic and suitable for induction.
However, you can always get a separate single burner for pressure canning. My cousins are commercial fishers and can a lot of salmon, they use a propane burner outside when pressure canning. Salmon needs a long time in the canner, several batches can really heat up the kitchen.

Yes, the Presto pressure canner I had was huge, stove top version. It can be a lot less heavy than a water bath canner, because you don't need anywhere near as much water. But, in a pressure canner, you can add a second layer of jars when you are canning. So, when you do that, it gets fairly heavy.

I do see that Presto makes an induction compatible version. That may be what I will need. Their electric version says that one can do pints and half-pints, but only as a water bath canner. Sigh. Since I anticipate using it mostly with that size, the electric would be pretty useless. The "education" continues! Keep it coming!

Only advise I can contribute is to be sure the pressure gauge is easily readable, either with or without glasses! :LOL:
The magic chef I use, has a gauge, but I added a rocker. The rocker just rocks when the pressure reaches 15 lbs. There are rockers that do 5 lbs, some 10 lbs, some 15 lbs. Most pressure canners can take a rocker. This is something I can hear from the next room. It rocks every second or so when the heat is just right, the pressure IS at 15 lbs and I monitor it by listening, instead of reading the gauge.

About lifting canners, you don't or shouldn't lift them full of cans and water. Remove the jars to cool, and you only have the water and canner to lift.
A water bath canner is 21 qts, so full it would be 42 lbs of water but it is never full, and after you remove the cans, it might weigh 20 lbs w/water. The 33 qt water bath canner holds about 66 lbs of water, again it is never full and you move it after you remove the cans, this one is heavy to pour the water out. I can lift out water with a 4 cup measure until it isn't too heavy for me to lift.
The pressure canner uses much less water. 3 qts for a standard size pressure canner (that cans 7 qt jars). The canner is heavier but 3 qts of water is left after cans are removed so only 6 lbs of water.
The all american canners are heavier (love the quality), and the extra tall ones are the ones that are heaviest if that is an issue.

Well, easy, peasy on the All-American for me: None of the All-American canners can be used on induction stovetops.

One down, a gazillion to go...LOL.

Welp, losing steam on this thought...turns out, one cannot or should not can homemade refried beans. They are too thick and that poses a risk or two or three. Sigh. Cooked beans, yes. Refried, no. Back to making space in the freezer...

Refried beans can be difficult. It's a good idea to freeze them instead.
When I was on a marathon canning week, canned all kinds of beans, if I had seal failures then I would freeze the beans because reprocessing them usually makes them too mushy. Then after freezing I dehydrated them in a layer on parchment in the dehydrator. This would be an easy thing to rehydrate and make into refried beans. So that is another option. They are also good dried to add to backpack dehydrated soups/stews for camping or hiking.
Pressure canning is also good for soups, to have that on the shelves. There's a recipe for "your choice soups", half liquid half veg/beans/herbs. https://www.healthycanning.com/usdas-your-choice-soup-recipe
We keep this on the shelf for a quick meal, just heat and eat.

I did not realize you could add a rocker along with the gauge. I think that's great as I'm all for auditory along with visual. I don't have a large canner for vegies, just the smaller one, only a rocker. Which, when I originally got it, was fine as I don't do vegie canning. Used, at the time, strictly for cooking meals. Don't even use it any more, it's in storage. :unhappy: guess I should sell it but doubt there would be any takers now with Instapots all over the place.

Welp, losing steam on this thought...turns out, one cannot or should not can homemade refried beans. They are too thick and that poses a risk or two or three. Sigh. Cooked beans, yes. Refried, no. Back to making space in the freezer...
No, but you can easily can pintos and it takes no more than 20 minutes to drain a bit and mash while some chopped onion is sauteing in oil (or whatever. No judgment.) Add seasonings, mix together and serve.

I also put a rocker on my Pressure Canner to add to the gauge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom