Cherries and Dumplings Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
This isn't a cobbler or crisp, but this is the only place I could think of to put this. Someone was asking about this so here is the recipe for Cherries and Dumplings. My mom always used canned sour cherries. I think she used 2 cans.

Sauce:

1 1/2 quart sour red cherries (pitted)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

Dumplings:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoon firm butter
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk

In a 3-quart saucepan with tight fitting cover, simmer sauce ingredients 3 minutes.

In large bowl, sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with next 3 ingredients. Cut butter in until the size of rice.

Add milk all at once and stir vigorously with a fork for 30 seonds.

Drop from a spoon onto simmering cherries, dipping spoon each time into hot sauce before dipping into batter.

Cover tightly. Simmer over very low heat 20 mintues. DO NOT uncover at all during this cooking period. (If you uncover them to peek, they will be tough).

Spoon dumplings into individual dishes and pour sauce and cherries over top. Serve warm.

4 servings (2 dumplings per serving).

Truthfully, I have not tried making these in years. My mom's were SO good. It was one of my favorite desserts. I'm definitely going to have to try these again soon! We always sprinkled cinnamon on top.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Looks yummy Barb,
will be making this soon. Thanks for sharing.
kadesma:)

I hope you like them!

My poor dad! Even though my mom used canned cherries that were, of course, pitted, he often got a seed. I don't think anyone else ever did!

Barb, I saw this earlier and didn't have time to comment.
This looks so good. And easy. I'll definately try this one.
The only problem I foresee is: "DO NOT uncover at all during this cooking period. (If you uncover them to peek, they will be tough)." But I'll force myself.

Barb, I saw this earlier and didn't have time to comment.
This looks so good. And easy. I'll definately try this one.
The only problem I foresee is: "DO NOT uncover at all during this cooking period. (If you uncover them to peek, they will be tough)." But I'll force myself.
I know what you mean! When you put them on to simmer, set the timer, then hurry to your computer and hang out at DC until the timer goes off! Then you won't be tempted to peek!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom