Chicken, coconut...What to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I have bone-in breasts, a can of pineapple chunks, half a bag flaked coconut.
I have a jar of curry powder too. Last time I tried something with the pineapple and coconut it wasnt quite right. I dont think I have any coconut milk and I really dont want to go get any.
So! Your mission should you choose to accept it...... help me?
I'm still googling but nothing is grabbing me. :mellow:

Update
I lied, no pineapple. DH musta fed it to the little people.....

Last edited:
You can make a curry with the ingredients you have. Not sure what other pantry ingredients you have to add to that other than curry powder. I am also hoping that the coconut flakes you have are not sweetened.

Take one and a half cups of coconut flakes and one cup of water and blend them until smooth.

Cut chicken into small cubes

One Onion cut into big chunks

1 tbsp of curry powder (yes you need that much)

One tomato cut into cubes (if you have it)

salt to taste

Pineapple cut into chunks (liquid is not needed)

Some oil

Two cloves of garlic minced

Heat the oil, add minced garlic and saute it on low. Next add the onions and cook them until translucent and slightly caramalized. Add the curry powder and saute it until a nice aroma develops (atleast 3 - 5minutes). Add the tomato cubes and chicken cubes. Pour the blended coconut mixture and salt. Cook covered on medium low until the chicken is tender. Stir the pineapple chunks in the end and garnish with cilantro and green onions (if you have it).

Serve with plain white rice.

I have bone-in breasts, a can of pineapple chunks, half a bag flaked coconut.
I have a jar of curry powder too. Last time I tried something with the pineapple and coconut it wasnt quite right. I dont think I have any coconut milk and I really dont want to go get any.
So! Your mission should you choose to accept it...... help me?
I'm still googling but nothing is grabbing me. :mellow:

Update
I lied, no pineapple. DH musta fed it to the little people.....

i'd make coconut crusted cutlets with a pinapple glaze/sauce.

what you'll need:
4 oz frozen pinapple juice concentrate, thawed
egg wash
flour
chicken breast
coconut flakes
pineapple
corn starch

toast the coconut in a pan until lightly browned. slice the breasts in half, lengthwise, to make thin cutlets. pound them with a meat mallet if need be. poke some holes with a fork. dust both sides with flour, dip in the egg wash, then cover generously with cocount flakes. place cutlets in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until cooked through.

for the sauce, mix the juice concentrate with the pinapple chunks in a sauce pan over a medium-low flame. mix in 1.5 tablespoons of cornstarch. heat for 5 to 10 minutes stirring constantly until smooth.

No pineapple? Oh boy, and I had the perfect recipe all ready! :LOL:

This involves your chicken only but we like to coat chicken pieces in yellow mustard, sprinkle with paprika, and bake.

You could also make just a VERY basic curry - brown chicken (hopefully you have some onions at least. I use onions and carrots sauteed, then remove, then brown chicken). Once everything is browned and sauteed add everything back to skillet, add some water and curry powder, salt and pepper, of course, cover and cook until done. Sometimes I will remove the chicken and veggies and thicken with a slurry. Serve over rice.

make some macaroons and just roast the chicken with some garlic and herbs and serve with your choice of salad or veges. leftover chicken can then be used in sandwiches, soup or tacos/burritos/nachos, or in a chicken version of shepherd's pie.

OK, get some cottage cheese. Mix the pineapple with the cottage cheese, sprinkle with the coconut. Brown the chicken hot oil.

OR... you could come up with a sweet and sour chicken using both the pineapple and coconut. Something like this..

Mix the coconut up with a little flour.
Take the chicken piece dredge in egg wash then into coconut/flour mixture and fry slowly.

While that is frying in a pot, put in your pineapple pieces, add a little water, sugar, cider vinegar, onion, carrots, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, fish sauce if you have any. Get it so there is a good sweet/sour thing going on. The soy will add the salt you need. Add other spices as desired. Bring this together and cook down until slightly reduced.

pour this over your chicken and place in the oven. Should taste pretty good..

Sorry I didn't see your last post Jeff that sounds REALLY good!
I don't know why I cant think of these things on my own, after I read them I'm always thinking DUH!!!!

You can make a curry with the ingredients you have. Not sure what other pantry ingredients you have to add to that other than curry powder. I am also hoping that the coconut flakes you have are not sweetened.

Take one and a half cups of coconut flakes and one cup of water and blend them until smooth.

Cut chicken into small cubes

One Onion cut into big chunks

1 tbsp of curry powder (yes you need that much)

One tomato cut into cubes (if you have it)

salt to taste

Pineapple cut into chunks (liquid is not needed)

Some oil

Two cloves of garlic minced

Heat the oil, add minced garlic and saute it on low. Next add the onions and cook them until translucent and slightly caramalized. Add the curry powder and saute it until a nice aroma develops (atleast 3 - 5minutes). Add the tomato cubes and chicken cubes. Pour the blended coconut mixture and salt. Cook covered on medium low until the chicken is tender. Stir the pineapple chunks in the end and garnish with cilantro and green onions (if you have it).

Serve with plain white rice.

oh sounds delicious!

Curry would have been my answer as well. As far as I'm concerned, curries don't neeed a specific recipe, you just throw it all in. I keep a can of coconut milk in the pantry, but it is not necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom