Commercial dehydrator for pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knn1

Assistant Cook
Hello to everyone

I need your help. I have a fresh pasta shop. I dry the fusilli on the tray for 2 days. there is no breakage. But my place is too small. I want to dry more.

Can I dry with commercial dehydrator? Does it break before or after cooking? Have any of you tried?

The machine does not write pasta in the descriptions.

for example this machine

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure there are commercial dehydrators specifically for pasta - the one you have a link to is more for fruits and vegetables, jerky, and things like that, and could be used for small amounts of pasta (I did some in a similar one I have a couple of times), but you need one for pasta. And what kinds of pasta are you making, that you will be "breaking" - just the fusilli? I would think it would be better to get it to the proper size, before drying. Things like spaghetti shatter some, when broken in half.

After I googled "pasta dehydrator" I see why you posted that - things like that was about all they replied with! Just about everything was the vegetable dehydrator type. But when I tried "commercial pasta dehydrator", similar, but larger, and most much more expensive machines are available. Some look tall, so a lot more would be dried in a similar space. Try that -I'm not sure what will come up over there, or what you would be wanting to pay.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to continue your current practice using one or more commercial bakers racks?
1692731384016.jpeg
I would think that they would be available used in most cities of any size.

Welcome to the forum. When I was in kitchens, pasta wasn’t the focus but we did make it for specials reasonably often. I was always the go-to for the pasta making and if I had a lot to dry, I would just use the big hotbox on a low heat.
But it sounds here like you are aiming for more commercial dried pasta, mine was always fresh which doesn’t require a long drying time. 20 minutes at most for me, same as I do now at home with a drying rack.
I’m really not sure about purchasing a large commercial dryer unless you intend to sell a lot of your product. Simply because, even in a commercial kitchen, you need to maximise the space and one purpose machines are rarely desirable. I would look to a decent combi-oven that can handle multiple applications if it was my cheque book. 🫠

Hard to compete with a good commercial dry pasta. The actual process and equipment for even a decent example is in the stratosphere for a small pasta house selling mostly fresh. It's more complicated than one might think.

Alex is an interesting guy who's series on dry pasta is fairly informative and an eye opener.

Hard to compete with a good commercial dry pasta. The actual process and equipment for even a decent example is in the stratosphere for a small pasta house selling mostly fresh. It's more complicated than one might think.

Alex is an interesting guy who's series on dry pasta is fairly informative and an eye opener.
I knew about the bronze dyes. I knew that the drying had to be done very carefully. I was surprised to see that family name, Felicetti. Felicetti is the brand of pasta that I usually get. I get their wholegrain pasta. It's really, really good. So, I did a bit of internet searching. I think they are still using the brand name "Felicetti", at least here in Canada. I think this has to be the same stuff, because those packages in the video say "MONOGRANO FELICETTI"

I knew about the bronze dyes. I knew that the drying had to be done very carefully. I was surprised to see that family name, Felicetti. Felicetti is the brand of pasta that I usually get. I get their wholegrain pasta. It's really, really good. So, I did a bit of internet searching. I think they are still using the brand name "Felicetti", at least here in Canada. I think this has to be the same stuff, because those packages in the video say "MONOGRANO FELICETTI"
Right, yeah, I've used that brand before and they also have a farro pasta that's pretty good. I use la Molisana pasta for everyday and used it in my restaurant as well back in the day, I'm retired now.

If I owned a fresh pasta store I wouldn't mess with dry pasta but I would be the go to place for dry pasta and carry all the popular and artisan pasta's and I would no doubt be importing the best tomato products and parm from Italy as well, just for starters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom