Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just measured it. 1 tsp in the cap. The bleach will sanitize if diluted with a gallon of water, it has been so for many years in the restaurant industry. I think the tsp to a quart is overkill and if you use it on counters you are going to smell and taste bleach.

We always cleaned and allowed to air dry. No rinsing required.
Thank you. You can smell the 1/4 tsp. bleach in the quart of water. So I think that will be good.

I'm going to guess that there is a "window" of how much bleach should be in the water for sanitizing. Both 1 tsp / quart and 1 tsp / gallon probably fall within that window.

I think it’s a wise, responsible decision.

Agreed. It doesn't indicate a lack of hospitality, but a realistic assessment of how best to keep people safe and healthy.

I concur.

Edit: It also occurs to me that people would have to get there. Unless someone has a private plane or private yacht, just getting there would be risky in a commercial plane or on a cruise ship.

Last edited:
This is the best explanation of the virus I've seen.........

AN EXPLANATION from a microbiologist at the CDC:
Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than seasonsl flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...
It has to do with RNA sequencing.... i.e. genetics.
Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.
Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.
Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”
This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.
And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.
Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...
And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.
#flattenthecurve Stay home folks or simply away from others who may be carrying it if you can be outdoors somewhere... and share this to those that just are not catching on. ?
#animalscience #humanhealth #planetearth #wewillsurvive

A member of a mostly international forum I go to has reported that Thailand has basically closed its borders. You have to post a million dollar bond to be used for healthcare/etc, be symptom free, and either be a resident or have some urgent need to be in the country.

This is the best explanation of the virus I've seen.........

AN EXPLANATION from a microbiologist at the CDC:
Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than seasonsl flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...
It has to do with RNA sequencing.... i.e. genetics.
Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.
Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.
Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”
This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.
And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.
Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...
And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.
#flattenthecurve Stay home folks or simply away from others who may be carrying it if you can be outdoors somewhere... and share this to those that just are not catching on. [emoji851]
#animalscience #humanhealth #planetearth #wewillsurvive
I've come across this in three different places over the past week, attributed to an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins, a nurse and the biologist colleague of the wife of a friend of a friend on Fb. I doubt it came from anyone at the CDC. For now, I'd chalk this up to an urban legend, until we know more from reliable, known sources.

Last edited:
Well, you've seen it in three different places; Other than the source references, do you see any changes in the body of the message ?
If so, let us know...

A member of a mostly international forum I go to has reported that Thailand has basically closed its borders. You have to post a million dollar bond to be used for healthcare/etc, be symptom free, and either be a resident or have some urgent need to be in the country.

I was just texting my sister-in-law and her husband who’re both vacationing in El Salvador. They’re unable to return to the US due to the borders and airport closures.
The police are arresting drivers that shouldn’t be out. They’re allowing only one family member per household for groceries, medicines, etc...

That explanation may be more or less accurate. But, there are parts of it that seem a bit iffy - like it's made to sound "sciencey". That's just my impression. I could be wrong.

Well, you've seen it in three different places; Other than the source references, do you see any changes in the body of the message ?
If so, let us know...
Sorry, I didn't keep track of all the places I saw it. In a search, I did find this, which is one of the ones I had seen (I was wrong, it was attributed to an immunologist, not an epidemiologist; see how easy that happens? ;))

The author of the tweet thread advises treating it as a theory rather than a fact, until we know for sure.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1240433470750498816.html

I have a friend who is an epidemiologist for the public health service in my city - educated at Emory University, worked at the CDC for a while. I sent this to her Friday, but she had a baby yesterday, so she's a little busy right now. If/when I hear from her, I'll let everyone know.

It actually sounds right from what I've learned over years working in the medical industry in various positions, keeping exotic animals (rainforest boas for the most part) and quarantining/disinfecting/etc to prevent zoonotic infections, and the conversation I had with my doctor recently, who had just returned from a medical conference in Grenada where an epidemiologist from the CDC gave a nice long lecture. He told me the CDC expects at minimum 50% of Americans are expected to have or have had COVID-19 by summer, even with everything being done, that monoclonal antibodies are expected to have formed by September or October, and that a vaccine is not expected to be available until early 2021.

Just FYI, Grenada has no cases yet. I asked before we got closer than 3 feet. He also had time to chat because over half of his appointments had cancelled.

That explanation may be more or less accurate. But, there are parts of it that seem a bit iffy - like it's made to sound "sciencey". That's just my impression. I could be wrong.

I was thinking it had been said in more layman's term so the average citizen could understand it. Something I do so my audience will understand.

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

:cry:
Never would I have EVER dreamt that The State of Hawaii
would ask that visitors to NOT come to our beautiful Islands,
EVER!

THIS saddens more than I could say

From Governor David Ige's Office:

MARCH 21, 2020: Today I issued a second supplemental emergency proclamation (https://bit.ly/39azZ8O) ordering all individuals, both residents and visitors, arriving or returning to the State of Hawaiʻi to a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine. The mandate -- the first such action in the nation -- applies to all arrivals at state airports from the continental U.S. and international destinations and extends to other private and commercial aircrafts.
With the majority of Hawaiʻi’s COVID-19 cases linked to travel, it is critical that we further mitigate the spread of the virus by both residents and visitors who are coming from out-of-state. This plan was developed in collaboration with our county mayors and Hawaiʻi’s business, community and visitor industry leaders.
All visitors and residents arriving through Hawaiʻi’s airports will be required to complete a Hawaiʻi Department of Agriculture form that will be distributed onboard their flight. They will retain the form when disembarking the aircraft. Upon arrival, they will go through a checkpoint and present the completed form with a valid identification. Checkpoint staff will validate the form and issue documentation that certifies they cleared the checkpoint. The form also includes information on the mandatory requirements for the 14-day quarantine along with penalties.
Failure to follow this order is a misdemeanor and punishable by a maximum fine of $5,000, or imprisonment of not more than one year, or both. Enforcement will be handled by each of Hawaiʻi’s four counties.
The mandate will go into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, March 26, 2020.
These actions are extreme, but they will help flatten the curve and lay the groundwork for a quicker recovery. We need everyone to comply with these quarantine orders to help protect Hawaiʻi’s residents.
Read the full news release at: https://bit.ly/2xcvtJE
VIDEO NEWS CONFERENCE: https://bit.ly/2Unw82O

It actually sounds right from what I've learned over years working in the medical industry in various positions, keeping exotic animals (rainforest boas for the most part) and quarantining/disinfecting/etc to prevent zoonotic infections, and the conversation I had with my doctor recently, who had just returned from a medical conference in Grenada where an epidemiologist from the CDC gave a nice long lecture. He told me the CDC expects at minimum 50% of Americans are expected to have or have had COVID-19 by summer, even with everything being done, that monoclonal antibodies are expected to have formed by September or October, and that a vaccine is not expected to be available until early 2021.

Just FYI, Grenada has no cases yet. I asked before we got closer than 3 feet. He also had time to chat because over half of his appointments had cancelled.
I was thinking it had been said in more layman's term so the average citizen could understand it. Something I do so my audience will understand.
It sounds right to me, too from what I've read. I just wanted to caution people about believing stuff floating around the internet without solid attribution.

I saw my GI doctor Wednesday and he said the same thing - they're expecting 50 percent of us to get it. He also warned me not to go anywhere, since I'm immunocompromised. That was the first and only time I've been away from the house since March 3.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom