Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I am dealing with the kind of faucet where you can't turn it on or off with your wrist or elbow, I have a little routine. I lather my hands and then wash the faucet knobs with my soapy hands. I then finish washing my hands and do a preliminary rinse and then wipe the soap off the knobs with my hands. Then I continue rinsing my hands. That way when I touch the knobs with my clean hands to turn off the water, I am touching clean knobs.

One cap of bleach to a gallon of water in a spray bottle will disinfect the canned goods, etc. Spray it on and allow to dry. Do not wipe off!

5 ml or 1 tsp

I don't have much bleach. Wasn't any left last week when DD looked for some. I just put 1/4 tsp. bleach in a quart mason jar and then filled a spray bottle. This can be sprayed on surfaces (counters, tables etc.) and wiped off or should it be left to dry?

I don't have much bleach. Wasn't any left last week when DD looked for some. I just put 1/4 tsp. bleach in a quart mason jar and then filled a spray bottle. This can be sprayed on surfaces (counters, tables etc.) and wiped off or should it be left to dry?
I'm sure they'll be restocked soon, if they're not already. This is from the Cooperative Extension Service.

PDF - Cleaning & Sanitizing the Kitchen Using inexpensive household food-safe products

https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/foodnut/kitchen-sanitize.pdf

Hand Sanitizer

Have we talked about hand sanitizer?
I wasn't going to go to the grocery store for a while but went early this morning because in my county there have been only two confirmed coronavirus cases for several days in a row. So I says to myself it'll prolly be a long time before there are fewer folks sick with it than right now. One of the things I was hoping to get was hand sanitizer. No luck though.

Yesterday Vitamix sent me this recipe. I've seen a bunch more or less just like it. Shopped for vegetable glycerine on Amazon. The reasonably priced bottles of 8 to 32 ounces were all gone. There were some two and three-ounce bottles priced twice as high as the pints and quarts. Didn't buy those though.

So I hunted around and found a couple little bottles in an old storage bin. So whut Imagonna do is keep them filled up by replenishing with mostly rubbing alcohol plus a little hydrogen peroxide until they start to get pretty thin. Then I'll thicken them with mineral oil, peanut oil, or olive oil. Now I've read that is a bad idea cuz oils block pores and give you acne or somethin but I'm only gonna be using the stuff on those rare and brief occasions when I'm away from home. At home I'll continue to just use dishsoap and water, which I'm confident will wash the oil off my hands so I'm not too worried about gitting zits on my fingers.

I think it's a sound strategy. What do you think.

Last edited:
Clorox Wipes

But they didn't have those either, nor did they have the usual complimentary sanitizing wipes to treat the handle of your grocery cart. So I resolved to buy my own. Of course, they were out of those also. So next time I go anywhere, I'm going to take my own paper towels in a bag like AB had in the video posted earlier. But in addition to my little bottle of hand sanitizer, I'll also have a little bottle of diluted bleach.

By the way, msmoffet, I'd be willing to wager the exact proportions of bleach to water just isn't really all that critical. But then, that'd just be my opinion.

PF says 1 tsp. to a gallon of water. That website says 1 tsp. bleach to a quart of water.
I can't explain the difference. I was told in culinary school that it was one capful per gallon, which is what restaurants use. I don't know exactly how much a capful is.

Last edited:
Have we talked about hand sanitizer?
I wasn't going to go to the grocery store for a while but went early this morning because in my county there have been only two confirmed coronavirus cases for several days in a row. So I says to myself it'll prolly be a long time before there are fewer folks sick with it than right now. One of the things I was hoping to get was hand sanitizer. No luck though.

Yesterday Vitamix sent me this recipe. I've seen a bunch more or less just like it. Shopped for vegetable glycerine on Amazon. The reasonably priced bottles of 8 to 32 ounces were all gone. There were some two and three-ounce bottles priced twice as high as the pints and quarts. Didn't buy those though.

So I hunted around and found a couple little bottles in an old storage bin. So whut Imagonna do is keep them filled up by replenishing with mostly rubbing alcohol plus a little hydrogen peroxide until they start to get pretty thin. Then I'll thicken them with mineral oil, peanut oil, or olive oil. Now I've read that is a bad idea cuz oils block pores and give you acne or somethin but I'm only gonna be using the stuff on those rare and brief occasions when I'm away from home. At home I'll continue to just use dishsoap and water, which I'm confident will wash the oil off my hands so I'm not too worried about gitting zits on my fingers.

I think it's a sound strategy. What do you think.
I think it's reasonable till you find the real thing. Have you checked pharmacies or drugstores?

PF says 1 tsp. to a gallon of water. That website says 1 tsp. bleach to a quart of water.

I can't explain the difference. I was told in culinary school that it was one capful per gallon, which is what restaurants use. I don't know exactly how much a capful is.

PF was telling me how much to use on produce. And, when I asked about the cap full, she said about 5 ml / 1 teaspoon.

I think it's reasonable till you find the real thing. Have you checked pharmacies or drugstores?
No, and don't intend to. This morning's grocery store trip was a one last time for a few/several weeks excursion. Shopping a bunch of retail stores in hopes of finding glycerine or Purell defeats the purpose and spirit of voluntary social withdrawal. In my limited capacity to understand the situation, people, not surfaces, are the greater risk.

But I'll give you this, GG. You never lack certitude. :)

But I'll give you this, GG. You never lack certitude. [emoji2]
I only respond regarding things I know something about. I've taken ServSafe food handling training three times over the years and I've spent a lot of time in hospitals and talking to doctors and nurses about infection control (especially since I have a compromised immune system). I also follow a few Fb groups composed partly of people with PhDs in various research fields. I ask questions of experts. I lurk a lot in those groups. I read a lot. I can vegetables [emoji38] I know what the minimum acidity of pickles needs to be to can them safely.

Some people don't like it when women are direct and clear. C'est la vie! [emoji16]

I only respond regarding things I know something about. I've taken ServSafe food handling training three times over the years and I've spent a lot of time in hospitals and talking to doctors and nurses about infection control (especially since I have a compromised immune system). I also follow a few Fb groups composed partly of people with PhDs in various research fields. I ask questions of experts. I lurk a lot in those groups. I read a lot. I can vegetables [emoji38] I know what the minimum acidity of pickles needs to be to can them safely.

Some people don't like it when women are direct and clear. C'est la vie! [emoji16]

I don't know how to respond to any of this.

So I won't.

Just measured it. 1 tsp in the cap. The bleach will sanitize if diluted with a gallon of water, it has been so for many years in the restaurant industry. I think the tsp to a quart is overkill and if you use it on counters you are going to smell and taste bleach.

We always cleaned and allowed to air dry. No rinsing required.

But they didn't have those either, nor did they have the usual complimentary sanitizing wipes to treat the handle of your grocery cart. So I resolved to buy my own. Of course, they were out of those also. So next time I go anywhere, I'm going to take my own paper towels in a bag like AB had in the video posted earlier. But in addition to my little bottle of hand sanitizer, I'll also have a little bottle of diluted bleach.

By the way, msmoffet, I'd be willing to wager the exact proportions of bleach to water just isn't really all that critical. But then, that'd just be my opinion.

The health inspector had a meter that could tell if the bleach to water ratio was correct for sanitizing. Too much, too little, he would cite you for it. I never got cited.

Well said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom