Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is from the Washington Post. I have a subscription, but I understand they have removed the paywall from stories about coronavirus. Let me know if you can't read it.

Headline: The good news about food safety and coronavirus: It’s the same advice we’ve known all alon

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rus-its-the-same-advice-weve-known-all-along/
Thank you.

My post was concerning pick up/delivered/fast foods: From restos, delis, online shopping etc.

In my part of NJ the shelves are empty for the most part. Hub and both DD's work at supermarkets. Police are at the stores to keep order.
When product comes in it doesn't make it to the shelves before people go crazy and the boxes/cases are emptied. The butchers put out meats and they are gone in minutes. Fights are breaking out over products. How much do they really need?

I am worried for my family members safety.

When will the greedy pigs people have enough? So normal people can get some necessities?

Last edited:
Just heard that our governor has ordered all bars and restaurants to shut down.

:wacko:

Here we go...
I'm from OH, so I follow what's going on back home just as close as I do for MA. One of our friends lives in the Columbus area and posted this on Facebook today. I think it's a good explanation of why so many governors in so many states are making everything grind to a halt.

"From a Columbus nostalgia group:

A possible reason why the Arnold Classic was postponed or canceled. This is not a political post.

Someone is doing their research in Ohio's State Health Team.

Yesterday Governor DeWine mentioned Philadelphia's disastrous response to the 1919 Worldwide Flu epidemic.

By mid-September 1918, the Spanish flu was spreading like wildfire through army and naval installations in Philadelphia, but Wilmer Krusen, Philadelphia’s public health director, assured the public that the stricken soldiers were only suffering from the old-fashioned seasonal flu and it would be contained before infecting the civilian population.
When the first few civilian cases were reported on September 21, local physicians worried that this could be the start of an epidemic, but Krusen and his medical board said Philadelphians could lower their risk of catching the flu by staying warm, keeping their feet dry and their “bowels open,” writes John M. Barry in The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History.
As civilian infection rates climbed day by day, Krusen refused to cancel the upcoming Liberty Loan parade scheduled for September 28. Barry writes that infectious disease experts warned Krusen that the parade, which was expected to attract several hundred thousand Philadelphians, would be “a ready-made inflammable mass for a conflagration.”
Krusen insisted that the parade must go on, since it would raise millions of dollars in war bonds, and he played down the danger of spreading the disease. On September 28, a patriotic procession of soldiers, Boy Scouts, marching bands and local dignitaries stretched two miles through downtown Philadelphia with sidewalks packed with spectators.
Just 72 hours after the parade, all 31 of Philadelphia’s hospitals were full and 2,600 people were dead by the end of the week.
George Dehner, author of Global Flu and You: A History of Influenza, says that while Krusen’s decision to hold the parade was absolutely a “bad idea,” Philadelphia’s infection rate was already accelerating by late September.
So with an estimated 200,000 coming from around the world for the Arnold Classic, this perhaps was a precedent that was part of the decision making."

Thank you.

My post was concerning pick up/delivered/fast foods: From restos, delis, online shopping etc.
I know. Read this in particular: "According to the USDA, “We are not aware of any reports at this time of human illnesses that suggest covid-19 can be transmitted by food or food packaging.”

No evidence it can be transmitted by food or food packaging. To me that would include takeout and delivery. Restaurants in the United States, and I'm sure Canada, have stringent, long-standing food safety requirements, including staff wearing gloves for during food preparation and packaging for delivery and changing them frequently. I don't think it's a concern.

Last edited:
In my part of NJ the shelves are empty for the most part. Hub and both DD's work at supermarkets. Police are at the stores to keep order.
When product comes in it doesn't make it to the shelves before people go crazy and the boxes/cases are emptied. The butchers put out meats and they are gone in minutes. Fights are breaking out over products. How much do they really need?

I am worried for my family members safety.

When will the greedy pigs people have enough? So normal people can get some necessities?

Unfortunately, those greedy people don't care about anyone else. As long as this thing lives, they'll probably continue to take whatever they can get their hands on.

I'm from OH, so I follow what's going on back home just as close as I do for MA. One of our friends lives in the Columbus area and posted this on Facebook today. I think it's a good explanation of why so many governors in so many states are making everything grind to a halt.

"From a Columbus nostalgia group:

A possible reason why the Arnold Classic was postponed or canceled. This is not a political post.

Someone is doing their research in Ohio's State Health Team.

Yesterday Governor DeWine mentioned Philadelphia's disastrous response to the 1919 Worldwide Flu epidemic.

By mid-September 1918, the Spanish flu was spreading like wildfire through army and naval installations in Philadelphia, but Wilmer Krusen, Philadelphia’s public health director, assured the public that the stricken soldiers were only suffering from the old-fashioned seasonal flu and it would be contained before infecting the civilian population.
When the first few civilian cases were reported on September 21, local physicians worried that this could be the start of an epidemic, but Krusen and his medical board said Philadelphians could lower their risk of catching the flu by staying warm, keeping their feet dry and their “bowels open,” writes John M. Barry in The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History.
As civilian infection rates climbed day by day, Krusen refused to cancel the upcoming Liberty Loan parade scheduled for September 28. Barry writes that infectious disease experts warned Krusen that the parade, which was expected to attract several hundred thousand Philadelphians, would be “a ready-made inflammable mass for a conflagration.”
Krusen insisted that the parade must go on, since it would raise millions of dollars in war bonds, and he played down the danger of spreading the disease. On September 28, a patriotic procession of soldiers, Boy Scouts, marching bands and local dignitaries stretched two miles through downtown Philadelphia with sidewalks packed with spectators.
Just 72 hours after the parade, all 31 of Philadelphia’s hospitals were full and 2,600 people were dead by the end of the week.
George Dehner, author of Global Flu and You: A History of Influenza, says that while Krusen’s decision to hold the parade was absolutely a “bad idea,” Philadelphia’s infection rate was already accelerating by late September.
So with an estimated 200,000 coming from around the world for the Arnold Classic, this perhaps was a precedent that was part of the decision making."

Thanks for the read. And don't get me wrong, I completely agree with shutting things down. It's just it tends to make the natives restless and craziness ensues, which is why I said "Here we go..."

Let the madness begin! :LOL:

They announced new places that are shutting down as of the close of business today: water parks (most definitely!) and other indoor fun parks, gyms, bowling alleys, movie theaters, etc. Even the streets and highways are more bare than usual.

I know. Read this in particular: "According to the USDA, “We are not aware of any reports at this time of human illnesses that suggest covid-19 can be transmitted by food or food packaging.”

No evidence it can be transmitted by food or food packaging. To me that would include takeout and delivery. Restaurants in the United States, and I'm sure Canada, have stringent, long-standing food safety requirements, including staff wearing gloves for during food preparation and packaging for delivery and changing them frequently. I don't think it's a concern.
Gloves yes but what about masks. This virus can travel 10 feet on a cough or sneeze. When slicing cold cuts, preparing sushi or salads etc. the worker is a lot closer to the food than 10 feet and must exhale at some point.

NJ has an 8:00 pm to 5:00 am curfew. Need to stay at home/inside except if you need to go to work. DD's heard that possibly supermarkets will be closed early.

NJ has an 8:00 pm to 5:00 am curfew. Need to stay at home/inside except if you need to go to work. DD's heard that possibly supermarkets will be closed early.

Stores here are limiting their hours so they can spend extra time cleaning and restocking.

That's what depresses me the most, the way people are acting. Fights breaking out over toilet paper? Come on. Then you've got idiots making the problem worse, like the psycho woman who posted a video of herself licking a toilet seat on an airplane, encouraging people to take the "coronavirus challenge", daring others to do the same thing.

Yeah, sorry, but there are no neurons firing in that brain of hers. None whatsoever. And I'm not a violent person, but I'd pay money to knock her upside the head.

I was on my town/county websites. They are providing ALL children pre-k - high school (private and public schools) lunches free of charge.

Gloves yes but what about masks. This virus can travel 10 feet on a cough or sneeze. When slicing cold cuts, preparing sushi or salads etc. the worker is a lot closer to the food than 10 feet and must exhale at some point.
With the seriousness of this pandemic, I honestly doubt that restaurant managers and owners will allow any staff who are coughing or sneezing to make food. I understand that in normal times, people who are sick might work anyway, but these are not normal times. I know several restaurant owners locally and I would be embarrassed even to ask them if they're allowing obviously sick people to cook or prepare food. It's unthinkable.

Unfortunately, those greedy people don't care about anyone else. As long as this thing lives, they'll probably continue to take whatever they can get their hands on.
I'm sure there are a few people like that, but I think the majority of panic buying over the weekend was because so many schools, professional sports, etc., closed all of a sudden. Now, people have children at home and see how serious it is. I don't think it will continue - stores will restock this week.

Thanks for the read. And don't get me wrong, I completely agree with shutting things down. It's just it tends to make the natives restless and craziness ensues, which is why I said "Here we go..."

Let the madness begin! [emoji38]

They announced new places that are shutting down as of the close of business today: water parks (most definitely!) and other indoor fun parks, gyms, bowling alleys, movie theaters, etc. Even the streets and highways are more bare than usual.
I have a friend who lives in Italy who posts daily updates. Everything is closed except food stores, pharmacies and medical facilities. Schools are gearing up to provide free meals for children K-12. There will be a period of adjustment and all we can do is the best we can do. I came across this today and I really like it.
2020-03-16-20-01-51.jpg

Last edited:
Everything pretty normal here in nz, except toilet paper,lol. Hell,the factory is 20 mins from me. No gatherings of over 500 people. No sports or concerts, schools only just open. 80% flights cancelled, arrivals must self isolate 14 days.

Russ

Nice to see you pop in, Rascal. Stay safe down under.

One item I heard on NPR Marketplace today (yes, I'm a Kai Ryssdal fan-girl [emoji38] ) was that we all need to practice cyber safety even more diligently right now. Links to articles on Corona virus from non-trusted sources have an increased risk of infecting your computer. *sigh*

I'm sure there are a few people like that, but I think the majority of panic buying over the weekend was because so many schools, professional sports, etc., closed all of a sudden. Now, people have children at home and see how serious it is. I don't think it will continue - stores will restock this week.

I have a friend who lives in Italy who posts daily updates. Everything is closed except food stores, pharmacies and medical facilities. Schools are gearing up to provide free meals for children K-12. There will be a period of adjustment and all we can do is the best we can do. I came across this today and I really like it.
View attachment 39761

That's absolutely lovely (what it says in the attachment). If most of us stay at home, then the people who need to go out will be at less risk and be able to go about their business quickly. Really, we are all in this together and if we stay home, we might successfully flatten the contagion curve. That will allow the hospitals to have enough resources for those who really need them. If we don't, then more people will die, also from other types of emergencies.

Nice to see you pop in, Rascal. Stay safe down under.

One item I heard on NPR Marketplace today (yes, I'm a Kai Ryssdal fan-girl [emoji38] ) was that we all need to practice cyber safety even more diligently right now. Links to articles on Corona virus from non-trusted sources have an increased risk of infecting your computer. *sigh*

There is even an app or three that supposedly lets you see what is going on around the world. It's ransomware and hijacks Android phones.

Everything pretty normal here in nz, except toilet paper,lol. Hell,the factory is 20 mins from me. No gatherings of over 500 people. No sports or concerts, schools only just open. 80% flights cancelled, arrivals must self isolate 14 days.

Russ

Good to see you Rascal. I'm glad things are fairly normal down under. Just remember that this sort of thing tends to be worse in winter. You guys have time to prepare, if you get on it now.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) has decreed "No communal dining" in nursing facilities. In a business already working short, who is going to be delivering meals room to room? Who will die from choking because they were eating in their room alone? This really puts nursing homes and the residents at risk...

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) has decreed "No communal dining" in nursing facilities. In a business already working short, who is going to be delivering meals room to room? Who will die from choking because they were eating in their room alone? This really puts nursing homes and the residents at risk...

I guess they didn't talk to anyone who ever worked in a nursing home. They could have required that people maintain some specified distance from each other. That would still put more burden on the staff, but I think it would have been a better way to do it.

I guess they didn't talk to anyone who ever worked in a nursing home. They could have required that people maintain some specified distance from each other. That would still put more burden on the staff, but I think it would have been a better way to do it.

I agree, especially since we already have folks with possible symptoms in their rooms, why make those not showing symptoms stay in their rooms, too? It would have been smarter to let each unit go to the dining room. Our Alzheimer's unit is going to be hell on wheels. Keep those folks in their rooms...yeah, right!

Back
Top Bottom