Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure you stock up on the necessities like....

Blue packaging Charmin Mega sized rolls of toilet paper that recently got cut down by 20 sheets a roll.

ORRRR....

Lays Party sized bags of potato chips that have recently been cut by 2.25 ounces.....

Hoard now so you do not have to buy later;)

im work in the supermarkets in Holand and its amazing how fast shelfs become empty with macarons, rice and paper.

Last edited:
They've closed all schools starting tomorrow in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area. Wonder what people with young children are going to do if they are still supposed to work?

It'd take some doing for me to get more socially distant than I already am.
Socially distant? All this time I thought I was supposed to be emotionally distant. *phew* It's good to know that I can care again.

medtran, the Ohio governor tossed out the possibility of the remaining part of the school year being scrapped. It could end up being a six-month summer vacation if that happens. :ohmy:

One interesting point I heard during the COVID-19 presser was that the target body temperature for "seniors", or those 65 and up, is only 99.6. If you are in that group (which I know many of us are), and your fever reading is 99.6 or above, it's time to get thee to a medical facility -or at least call to have your symptoms assessed.

Socially distant? All this time I thought I was supposed to be emotionally distant. *phew* It's good to know that I can care again.

medtran, the Ohio governor tossed out the possibility of the remaining part of the school year being scrapped. It could end up being a six-month summer vacation if that happens. :ohmy:

One interesting point I heard during the COVID-19 presser was that the target body temperature for "seniors", or those 65 and up, is only 99.6. If you are in that group (which I know many of us are), and your fever reading is 99.6 or above, it's time to get thee to a medical facility -or at least call to have your symptoms assessed.
Most places are saying to call. DO NOT JUST SHOW UP. They may have specific clinics or hospitals. They may have special entrances. They may want to give you an appointment, to manage how many people are there at once. They may want to give you special instructions. Here in Quebec, we have a special phone number to call.

I was talking with my daughter the other day about the whole corona virus situation and actions we needed to take, such as remaining socially distant. She commented that her friend and I were the only people she knew who were excited about being ordered to be socially distant. I pointed out that it wasn't a pandemic action, it was a lifestyle choice.

They've closed all schools starting tomorrow in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area. Wonder what people with young children are going to do if they are still supposed to work?
Yesterday Virginia's governor declared that all K-12 schools here are closed for two weeks starting tomorrow. I'm wondering the same thing. I t we're heading in the direction Italy has gone - they've closed everything except food stores, pharmacies and medical facilities. The government needs to come up with a way to keep people going for a while.

...I pointed out that it wasn't a pandemic action, it was a lifestyle choice.
Reading above with an inferred ;).

Curmudgeons and battle-axes among us will move a step further toward misanthropy. Folks who are already pathologically antisocial under one banner or another, will exact a higher price on civil society.

...my daughter...commented that her friend and I were the only people she knew who were excited about being ordered to be socially distant. I pointed out that it wasn't a pandemic action, it was a lifestyle choice.
I'm a homebody, Himself even more so. When they started advising people to stay home we said "so like normal day around here, huh?" And when I am standing and talking to someone, there are times I wish "Don't Stand so Close to Me" by the Police was playing in the background.

Ohio Governer DeWine announced all restaruant lobbies & bars will be closed as of today. Take out and drive thru will be open to the public. School bus drivers will deliver meals at stops where students would normally wait. Churches and Town Council meetings will be (or try to be) streamed live to computers/cell phones. Walmarts will be open only 6am to 11 pm.

Some Car Dealers are setting up to distribute boxed meals to the public as distribution centers. Facilities unnamed will prep those meals and drop them off there.

TV Stations are streaming updates across the bottom of the screen and suggesting to visit the station's website for more detailed information.

So, what's everybody got in the freezer, fridge, pantry, and survival stores to cook

I'm checking out Super Cook's, and some other website now. (builds recipes based on ingredients you have onhand to cook with)

https://www.supercook.com/#/recipes

https://myfridgefood.com/

https://bgr.com/2017/03/02/dinner-ideas-recipes-myfridgefood/

https://recipeland.com/recipes/by_ingredient

And ALL of the cleaning aids shelves were bare. Do people not clean when things are "normal"?

I stopped by Market Basket yesterday morning for the first time in more than a week. There were still cleaning products but I'm not sure if they're disinfecting products. Products that had the words "disinfecting/disinfectant" were all gone.

In the meats aisle, there were very little chicken & ground beef. Plenty of pork, lamb, corned beef and regular steaks.

I didn't see any shortage of vegetables/fruits/seafood.

I too am already socially distant. I work and I grocery shop and that's about it, with the exception of going out to eat once in a while with my son and/or my cousin.

I'm wondering, though (since we've decided not to go out to eat for a while) about take-out food. Should we or shouldn't we?

I’m just waiting for people to reach a point of overstocking. ...running out of shelf and freezer space in their homes. Then I’ll go shopping. No panic buying here.

Last edited:
I too am already socially distant. I work and I grocery shop and that's about it, with the exception of going out to eat once in a while with my son and/or my cousin.

I'm wondering, though (since we've decided not to go out to eat for a while) about take-out food. Should we or shouldn't we?

"They" are saying that take out and delivery should be safe. The risk of spread is highest when there are people too close together. Personally, we are going with delivery from restos. The fewer people out and about, the less risk for the people who need to be out and about.

I'm concerned about how safe "raw or uncooked" food is. Such as salads (all types of cold salads), cold cuts, sushi and the like are.

I'm concerned about how safe "raw or uncooked" food is. Such as salads (all types of cold salads), cold cuts, sushi and the like are.
This is from the Washington Post. I have a subscription, but I understand they have removed the paywall from stories about coronavirus. Let me know if you can't read it.

Headline: The good news about food safety and coronavirus: It’s the same advice we’ve known all alon

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rus-its-the-same-advice-weve-known-all-along/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom