Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The supermarket where my hub and DD's work just announced starting today all hourly workers will be getting a $2.00 an hour pay hike till May 2. I think that is a great way to reward the workers for being there in this trying time.
pay_close_up_IMG_6752.JPG

It sounds right to me, too from what I've read. I just wanted to caution people about believing stuff floating around the internet without solid attribution.

I saw my GI doctor Wednesday and he said the same thing - they're expecting 50 percent of us to get it. He also warned me not to go anywhere, since I'm immunocompromised. That was the first and only time I've been away from the house since March 3.

I still have healing to do, having your chest opened up is a long haul. I don't want to get COVID-19, the coughing would hurt like hell, bad enough when I sneeze. Sneezing takes me by surprise and I don't have time to brace myself fot it.

Anyway, stay home as much as possible GG, I don't want you getting sick!:wub:

My doctor told me twice when I was there a couple days ago to stay home as well.
But I did need some supplies.
I have been a bit fortunate not to have needed any of the hoarded stuff like TP, but I am having a very hard time finding baking supplies.
Especially yeast. Its not even available online. I almost bough a small jar awhile back. I wish I had picked it up then.
I did see some from foreign countries but afraid to give them my credit card info. If they took PayPal I would.

Anyone else having this problem?

Fortunately, I bought jar of yeast a week or 2 before the panic started. So we have some for a while.

...but I am having a very hard time finding baking supplies...Anyone else having this problem?

When I went shopping last Wednesday I figured I'd pick up an extra bag of King Arthur AP flour. None on the shelves. No KA, no Bob's Red Mill, only three bags of house brand. I don't know if everyone is going to be baking, or if moms were getting ready to have their kids make homemade play dough. After all, salt was down to about a dozen boxes.

I didn't check yeast since I just bought a 1# bag last time we were in OH. I can get it cheaper ay the Amish bulk store.

Last time I looked, not a single carton of whipping cream for my coffee. I made do with the Natural Bliss, Sweet Cream but it was too sweet. Went back in today and they are fully stocked, except for toilet paper.

I dread my Walmart trip tomorrow...

I get two deliveries of groceries tomorrow. One from each of two stores. I had to place one order at 3 in the morning last Saturday. Their server gets overloaded during regular times and it was a few days out for the next available delivery slot. The other place, I have pretty much finished my order. It is usually delivered on Tuesdays between noon and 17h00. Tomorrow, it will be sometime between 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. Both stores are getting a whackload of new delivery customers.

My doctor told me twice when I was there a couple days ago to stay home as well.
But I did need some supplies.
I have been a bit fortunate not to have needed any of the hoarded stuff like TP, but I am having a very hard time finding baking supplies.
Especially yeast. Its not even available online. I almost bough a small jar awhile back. I wish I had picked it up then.
I did see some from foreign countries but afraid to give them my credit card info. If they took PayPal I would.

Anyone else having this problem?
Last week, DH couldn't find flour; Sunday, he said the shelves were full in most areas of Kroger and brought home a few bags. So check again. I've read there are no production problems, so it's a problem of distribution and over-buying in the beginning.

Made a 6am senior shopping time @ Walmart this morning..
Found most everything we wanted.. No paper products but, we are fine on those..

I did hope to find disposable gloves but, none available.. Did pick up some household gloves in a neutral color.. I want to wear gloves when we leave the apartment.. If household gloves look silly, so be it.. Not the first time I've looked silly in my lifetime.. ;)

We should be set for another two weeks now.. :)

Ross

Last time I looked, not a single carton of whipping cream for my coffee. I made do with the Natural Bliss, Sweet Cream but it was too sweet. Went back in today and they are fully stocked, except for toilet paper.

Not having any whipping cream for my morning coffee(s) is one of the most disappointing starts to my day :mad: !

Made a 6am senior shopping time @ Walmart this morning..
Found most everything we wanted.. No paper products but, we are fine on those..

I did hope to find disposable gloves but, none available.. Did pick up some household gloves in a neutral color.. I want to wear gloves when we leave the apartment.. If household gloves look silly, so be it.. Not the first time I've looked silly in my lifetime.. ;)

We should be set for another two weeks now.. :)

Ross

The medical exam gloves are being reserved for medical facilities at this time. You won't be finding them in the stores soon. We (the facility) order double what we need and only receive 25% of our order. Same with goggles, gowns, etc. we are not getting our full orders. Makes it hard to be safe and use precautions when we don't have the equipment needed.

Not having any whipping cream for my morning coffee(s) is one of the most disappointing starts to my day :mad: !

I keep Swiss Miss on hand, if I run out of cream I can enjoy a mocha until I get more.

e.The medical exam gloves are being reserved for medical facilities at this time. You won't be finding them in the stores soon. We (the facility) order double what we need and only receive 25% of our order. Same with goggles, gowns, etc. we are not getting our full orders. Makes it hard to be safe and use precautions when we don't have the equipment needed.

I understand the need to save for those who serve the ill..

When we stopped @ CVS for meds, a clerk was putting a case of exam gloves on a shelf.. I was able to purchase 1 box..
She said that they, possible, would not be having any more until things changed..

Ross

I understand the need to save for those who serve the ill..

When we stopped @ CVS for meds, a clerk was putting a case of exam gloves on a shelf.. I was able to purchase 1 box..
She said that they, possible, would not be having any more until things changed..

Ross

I still have half a box from when taking care of Shrek, it was 3/4 of a box before my surgery. I've been using a glove while caring for my incision or putting icy hot on my foot. I will need to find a replacement...:ermm:

When we were having our chat, my doc told me even the cheap hair dye type gloves would be better than nothing.

Thanks, ********. I've been planning to make a cloth mask to cover the masks I've had for the occasional household use for years. One of the two has never been used though. Because I don't have a sewing machine or skills beyond replacing a button, my homemade mask won't be nearly as well made as the video shows but still, there are helpful suggestions in it.
My masks bought at a drug or hardware store years ago.
IMG_20200325_084018665.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the places I regularly get grocery deliveries from had a melt down yesterday. They got so many new customers that they couldn't handle the volume of deliveries. There were even some issues with their website. They have had to stop taking on new customers. They are trying to hire new warehouse workers. They have promised that I will get my groceries today, the ones that were supposed to arrive yesterday. I'm wishing them luck and patience.

Someone shared this on FB and I think it is uplifting and incredibly sweet. I may have read it a few times. I may have teared up just a little.

Attachments

• nothing feels more like love.jpg
    nothing feels more like love.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 83

Costco had plenty milk, Half and Half, and Cream. I called first. They are also baking fresh loaves each and every day. We got two country french. So crusty and great.
I dread any trip to Walmart!

Last week, DH couldn't find flour; Sunday, he said the shelves were full in most areas of Kroger and brought home a few bags. So check again. I've read there are no production problems, so it's a problem of distribution and over-buying in the beginning.

Yes. Hoarding is a giant problem. Fortunately we live in a very good area of the state and country to be frank. Little hoarding from what I have seen.
I need to call the store about the yeast. Specifically.

Oh....GG. Tell me about that bucket of dough you have in the fridge. Sounds like a great idea for these times. I have a few of those square restaurant pails with lids. 4 qt. 6 qt. 8 qt.

Oh....GG. Tell me about that bucket of dough you have in the fridge. Sounds like a great idea for these times. I have a few of those square restaurant pails with lids. 4 qt. 6 qt. 8 qt.
I use this no-knead bread recipe: https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/

It makes enough dough for four one-pound loaves and it keeps for up to two weeks in the fridge. I put it in an 8-quart restaurant bucket. The longer it ages, the more sourdough-like it tastes. I've made round boules, baguette shapes and rolls with it. Here's a batch of rolls I baked the other day. The dough is very wet, so it can be tricky to work with, but I just add flour till I get it shaped.
20200322_180145.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom