Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, PF, how awful to be exposed through someone else's carelessnes. I'm pretty mad, too [emoji35] I hope it doesn't get too bad among your patients. Hugs.

Oh, PF, how awful to be exposed through someone else's carelessnes. I'm pretty mad, too [emoji35] I hope it doesn't get too bad among your patients. Hugs.

Yeah, I worry about the patients. Hopefully we've all dodged a bullet. Home for the weekend and getting the rest I need, then to work Monday. Boss is keeping us posted. I kept to my office yesterday as much as possible.

Interesting couple of days.

Like many others, our supermarket chain has established special early hours for older customers. We decided to take advantage of that on Thursday morning. We got up early, 5:00AM, in hopes of getting there when there was still product on the shelves. Got out to the car to find that the battery was dead. Oh well, change of plans. Later that day I got the car taken care of.

This morning we gave it another try, not as early in the day. The store was not crowded. The shelves were well-stocked except for cleaning supplies. Our plan is that we won't have to shop again for two weeks.

We had a conversation with the store manager. He's had to change the way he manages his staff. The store chain cannot get cleaning supplies in the quantities they want/need. They may get ten percent of an order and that has to go for all the stores.

He said the Board of Health calls every couple of days to check on their needs.

Costco has special hours for those over 60. I think its Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 8-9am. I would call your local warehouse to verify.
Seems like the best choice as the local grocery is not stocked well at all.
I thought they had more until I was looking for more.

Costco has special hours for those over 60. I think its Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 8-9am. I would call your local warehouse to verify.
Seems like the best choice as the local grocery is not stocked well at all.
I thought they had more until I was looking for more.

Our supermarket and nearest Costco are in NH. They have instructed stores to have senior hours every day. We haven't run into larger than normal croups whenever we've gone shopping. In fact, fewer people than usual.

Our Walmart's open @6am, Tuesday's for seniors.. This week was the first time so, Jeannie and I went to fill in needed products.. Not a lot of people shopping, which pleased us.. Will do so again next Tuesday as, we will be in need of paper products by then.. Hope they have them..

This time we will have gloves to wear.. Pleased with that..

Love shopping early because we then like to stop someplace for breakfast.. Can't do that now... :(

Ross

What is the matter with people? Did they not understand that they were supposed to be isolating if they have been in contact with someone diagnosed with covid-19? Did they not believe it was important? Will they lose pay if they don't show up for work and can't afford that?

In any case PF, I'm sorry you have possibly been exposed. Sending positive vibes that you didn't catch anything.

What is the matter with people? Did they not understand that they were supposed to be isolating if they have been in contact with someone diagnosed with covid-19? Did they not believe it was important? Will they lose pay if they don't show up for work and can't afford that?

In any case PF, I'm sorry you have possibly been exposed. Sending positive vibes that you didn't catch anything.

The company has special funds set aside for those who are quarantined due to COVID-19, 14 days pay, then our sick pay kicks in after the 14 days if we are indeed confirmed. Very generous.

The older man who was exposed by his daughter is also going through chemo and radiation, he should have known better. This whole situation is beyond belief.

Third temp check since waking up...97.2, still feel fine. However, I have been on antibiotics for my surgical incision which is not healing well. So I have another route open for the virus...not happy.

I usually pick out my basket order starting Saturday morning and have to finish it up by Monday, before midnight, for a delivery on Tuesday. Last week I didn't get my order until Wednesday because the company was so overwhelmed by new customers and larger orders that they had a bit of a meltdown, with delivery software crashing and hundreds of customer service emails coming in. They have been working hard to deal with the situation and having to get used to their new, safer protocols for handing and delivering food, isn't making it any easier. I understand that. But, I'm not pleased that I may not get a basket this week. They will updating the website about who gets to activate a basket order this week, as they feel they have capacity. Unfortunately, that means that unless I find out that I can activate my basket, I won't know for sure until Monday evening.

Also, the other place I regularly order from is overwhelmed. My order with them last week was also delayed by a day. I tried to place an order last night, but they don't have any delivery slots available through Wednesday. On Mondays, they will open up the next batch of slots. So, I will be going to their website late Sunday evening to try to get a delivery slot. I will also update my order. Yes, it's already all picked out and hopefully will stay in their system. I took a screenshot to make it easier for me, if it isn't still there. At least I will have an idea if I need to add stuff that I usually get with my basket. This is getting stressful.

It is really unfortunate that folks with access to grocery delivery feel the need to stock up... with an "I'll get mine and 'F' everybody else!".

What is more unfortunate is that this type of behavior has caused retailers that also have an online presence to move high demand items to "available in store only". How does that make sense in an era of worldwide quarantine?

Safeway and CVS know about everything I have purchased from them (via member cards). So does WalMart online and Amazon. Therefore they "could" instantly tell if I panic buy way over my standard consumption, and put a stop to it. Maybe there is no simple place in their systems to implement such an algorithm, but there should be.

Like always, those that wish to act responsibly are often the ones getting screwed.

This quote has both amusing and frightening components

Attachments

• 91475254_10221538410907618_5329405659525939200_n.jpg
    91475254_10221538410907618_5329405659525939200_n.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 79
PF, it completely sucks that someone else's ignorance or inconsideration has impacted your life and the lives of those you love, both family and at work. I say shoot the dummies. :ermm: :LOL: I hope this amounts to nothing more than a short inconvenience. Worrisome, but just an inconvenience if you all come out on the other side of 14 days OK.

msmofet, I saw in the dinner thread for tonight that you mentioned your DD now having a fever. I hope it's nothing more than a flu bug. A very small, weak, flu bug.

PF, it completely sucks that someone else's ignorance or inconsideration has impacted your life and the lives of those you love, both family and at work. I say shoot the dummies. :ermm: :LOL: I hope this amounts to nothing more than a short inconvenience. Worrisome, but just an inconvenience if you all come out on the other side of 14 days OK.

msmofet, I saw in the dinner thread for tonight that you mentioned your DD now having a fever. I hope it's nothing more than a flu bug. A very small, weak, flu bug.

I was thinking the same thing.

So far so good, but it could take up to 5-11 days to manifest itself.

MsM, lots of hot fluids, vitamin C, everybody washing your hands!

3 confirmed cases in my rather isolated town of 30,000. It's roughly a hundred miles from anywhere. Ugh.

So far so good, but it could take up to 5-11 days to manifest itself.

MsM, lots of hot fluids, vitamin C, everybody washing your hands!

And vitamin D for people in the northern hemisphere not getting enough sunlight. Lots of us are Vitamin D deficient and infection patterns seem to be worse in areas of Vitamin D deficiency.

And vitamin D for people in the northern hemisphere not getting enough sunlight. Lots of us are Vitamin D deficient and infection patterns seem to be worse in areas of Vitamin D deficiency.

Yes, we need vitamin D3, I forget because I take it all the time.

I think all starters will change to what is in your area in terms of bacteria content.
Are you looking for a white sourdough bread recipe? Be sure to try some multi grain recipes as they are quite tasty.

Yes and Yes. I plan to try both. Thanks

From what I understand, sourdough starter will change character over time because of the yeasts in the air wherever its kept.
Thanks. Here's the "Sourdough from Start to Finish" episode from Bake with Jack: https://youtu.be/vmb0wWKITBQ

Thanks GG. I finally was able to watch it.

Sourdough changes character because of the yeasts in the air where it's kept. The acids created by the yeast kill the bacteria - you don't want that growing in your starter. It's like with kimchi and sauerkraut - the acids keep the bacteria in check so it doesn't cause food poisoning.

On Friday, my friend brought me the starter his wife made. Into the fridge it went. Her instructions.
However, I took one teaspoon of the starter, and put it my mason jar. Added two heaping tbls of flour and just enough water to mix it into a thick batter consistency.
I have removed some and fed it each day. Friday and Saturday on the counter in my warm kitchen.
It has now wanted to come out of the quart mason jar its so active. I think it could be used now. But I'm gonna feed it today and then tomorrow. And into the fridge it will go.
I do not have any KA Flour and want to wait to make my first loaf or rolls.
I think I am now getting this. Its really cool, except for all the feeding!;)

Our supermarket and nearest Costco are in NH. They have instructed stores to have senior hours every day. We haven't run into larger than normal croups whenever we've gone shopping. In fact, fewer people than usual.

Same here. Ghost town and still no flour, bread and other things like sour cream. Now I have my own bread. But I need some flour.
NO wipes at the entrance either!
They must be hoarding early in the day. I still feel like I'm a rock star and don't get out until afternoon...LOL

Made a 6am run to a store we don't normally shop at.. My daughter told me that they had things we have been looking for..

Sure enough they were stocked with all we have been concerned with..

We were pleased and thanked each clerk we came into contact with.. They are all putting themselves out for us..

There were very few shoppers, each looking warily at one another.. I love 6am shopping.. ;)

Ross

Yes and Yes. I plan to try both. Thanks

Thanks GG. I finally was able to watch it.

On Friday, my friend brought me the starter his wife made. Into the fridge it went. Her instructions.
However, I took one teaspoon of the starter, and put it my mason jar. Added two heaping tbls of flour and just enough water to mix it into a thick batter consistency.
I have removed some and fed it each day. Friday and Saturday on the counter in my warm kitchen.
It has now wanted to come out of the quart mason jar its so active. I think it could be used now. But I'm gonna feed it today and then tomorrow. And into the fridge it will go.
I do not have any KA Flour and want to wait to make my first loaf or rolls.
I think I am now getting this. Its really cool, except for all the feeding!;)

Same here. Ghost town and still no flour, bread and other things like sour cream. Now I have my own bread. But I need some flour.
NO wipes at the entrance either!
They must be hoarding early in the day. I still feel like I'm a rock star and don't get out until afternoon...LOL
People were making sourdough bread long before King Arthur Flour existed ;;) I've been using Kroger brand flour for most of my bread-making and it works fine. I occasionally buy KA bread flour, but that's for specialty breads.

Btw, look online for recipes you can make with the discard - I've seen people making crackers and other types of flatbreads with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom