Concerns about the coronavirus/Covid-19 pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A bit of a vent here. Both DD's work in online shopping at a supermarket. Customers whether in the store or on the phone (when they need to be called) are VERY abusive AND rude to them. Hub works in produce dept. in same supermarket chain but different location and getting treated the same. Customers just DON'T want to accept that there isn't a product and they don't know when the items will come in. They are getting screamed AND cursed at!

They don't deserve that treatment! They are still at work taking the real risk of DYING (they aren't allowed to wear masks because it may scare the customers) to get these people what they need. It's not their fault there are shortages. If the greedy pigs would stop hoarding there would be plenty for everyone!!

A bit of a vent here. Both DD's work in online shopping at a supermarket. Customers whether in the store or on the phone (when they need to be called) are VERY abusive AND rude to them. Hub works in produce dept. in same supermarket chain but different location and getting treated the same. Customers just DON'T want to accept that there isn't a product and they don't know when the items will come in. They are getting screamed AND cursed at!

They don't deserve that treatment! They are still at work taking the real risk of DYING (they aren't allowed to wear masks because it may scare the customers) to get these people what they need. It's not their fault there are shortages. If the greedy pigs would stop hoarding there would be plenty for everyone!!

Agreed, they do not deserve it.

Too bad I am not around, I delight in taking on folks who exhibit bad behavior towards customer service.

Thanks for this. Do you put yeast in your recipe? I’ve been sticking with sour dough starter for my breads but apparently it does not store well for this recipe.

Today my friend told me his wife has sourdough starter. I am to get some of it tomorrow. I guess I'm gonna learn quickly. I hope to keep it for years like I have read and have seen.
Is all starter the same?

I use this no-knead bread recipe: https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/

It makes enough dough for four one-pound loaves and it keeps for up to two weeks in the fridge. I put it in an 8-quart restaurant bucket. The longer it ages, the more sourdough-like it tastes. I've made round boules, baguette shapes and rolls with it. Here's a batch of rolls I baked the other day. The dough is very wet, so it can be tricky to work with, but I just add flour till I get it shaped.
View attachment 39955

Looks great. I was looking more for a white type sourdough? like I said above I am to get some sourdough starter tomorrow. I have no idea what I'm getting. I have checked it out online.
I need to get into those videos you post. The guy that teaches how to bake.
Gracias GG.

Agreed, they do not deserve it.
Too bad I am not around, I delight in taking on folks who exhibit bad behavior towards customer service.

I never see customers being rude. Maybe occasionally. By far the most rude have been the employees in my observation.
I lost my temper once and had another customer call me out. He's damn lucky my wife was there.

Crises such as these often bring out either the best or worst in people. So far I've seen mostly the best except for one young woman who grabbed the toilet paper, bread, and bag of potatoes out of my cart and put it in hers.

I didn't know what to think of that, but I found those at another store so we're fine.

So you test negative for COVID-19. But what about tomorrow? You can catch it and test positive a week later.
I drove by at least a mile long line of cars this morning for the drive thru testing. I bet most of them have no business getting tested for the virus. Only those who think they’ve been exposed or are experiencing symptoms should be in that line. Maybe I’m wrong.

So you test negative for COVID-19. But what about tomorrow? You can catch it and test positive a week later.

I wonder about that also..

I have two acquaintances who "catch" everything they read about or see on TV.. I don't have first hand knowledge but, I'd not be surprised to find that they have been bugging their health care providers for Covid 19 testing..

Ross

Is all starter the same?

Looks great. I was looking more for a white type sourdough? like I said above I am to get some sourdough starter tomorrow.

I think all starters will change to what is in your area in terms of bacteria content.

Are you looking for a white sourdough bread recipe? Be sure to try some multi grain recipes as they are quite tasty.

Today my friend told me his wife has sourdough starter. I am to get some of it tomorrow. I guess I'm gonna learn quickly. I hope to keep it for years like I have read and have seen.
Is all starter the same?
From what I understand, sourdough starter will change character over time because of the yeasts in the air wherever its kept.

Looks great. I was looking more for a white type sourdough? like I said above I am to get some sourdough starter tomorrow. I have no idea what I'm getting. I have checked it out online.
I need to get into those videos you post. The guy that teaches how to bake.
Gracias GG.
Thanks. Here's the "Sourdough from Start to Finish" episode from Bake with Jack: https://youtu.be/vmb0wWKITBQ

I think all starters will change to what is in your area in terms of bacteria content.

Are you looking for a white sourdough bread recipe? Be sure to try some multi grain recipes as they are quite tasty.
Sourdough changes character because of the yeasts in the air where it's kept. The acids created by the yeast kill the bacteria - you don't want that growing in your starter. It's like with kimchi and sauerkraut - the acids keep the bacteria in check so it doesn't cause food poisoning.

I'm so sorry, msmofet. They definitely don't deserve to be treated like that.

Interesting couple of days.

Like many others, our supermarket chain has established special early hours for older customers. We decided to take advantage of that on Thursday morning. We got up early, 5:00AM, in hopes of getting there when there was still product on the shelves. Got out to the car to find that the battery was dead. Oh well, change of plans. Later that day I got the car taken care of.

This morning we gave it another try, not as early in the day. The store was not crowded. The shelves were well-stocked except for cleaning supplies. Our plan is that we won't have to shop again for two weeks.

We had a conversation with the store manager. He's had to change the way he manages his staff. The store chain cannot get cleaning supplies in the quantities they want/need. They may get ten percent of an order and that has to go for all the stores.

He said the Board of Health calls every couple of days to check on their needs.

Well, our maintenance department (they are related somehow) managed to expose the facility to COVID-19. They showed up for work and were all over the place by the time it was found out and they were sent home. First confirmed case in Goshen county is the older one's daughter and he's been to her house and watching his grandson.

This means, to me, I cannot go to my parents house. I cannot go anywhere but to work. I will not take the chance that I might expose anyone else. Now I get to take my temp every 4 hours and watch for any symptoms. Boss lady is mad as a wet hen, the two idiots exposed all of us. Gee, is that my normal cough?

6 confirmed cases as of yesterday in my small town (pop. 2,800). There was also a death one town over (pop. 11,000).

Back
Top Bottom