Connie’s Lentil Soup TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I've been wanting to try lentils for a long time, and after studying many recipes, I came up with my own, and was well-pleased with the results.

Connie’s Lentil Soup TNT

1 1/2 cup each brown lentils, chopped onions, chopped celery, chopped carrots
1 heaping tbl minced garlic
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced diagonally
2 cups leftover cooked chicken (opt)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth (I meant to use 2 cans chicken broth, but the mistake turned out well)
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
about 2 tbls pesto
olive oil

Rinse lentils and soak in hot water while you chop vegetables. In a dutch oven, saute onions, celery and carrots in a couple tbls olive oil until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sausage, and cook another 5-10 minutes. Stir in lentils. Add the diced tomatoes, broth, chicken and Old Bay. Cook until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in pesto and serve.

I didn't add any actual salt at all...there was enough in the broth, sausage and pesto.

Sounds good! I make a sausage and lentil soup similar to that one.
When the mood hits, I can eat it for days and days...

I can see what you mean. I'm just glad I finally tried it out. This was something I'd never seen or tasted before, but I'll certainly be cooking it again.
I may also try some other ways of using lentils. I can imagine them cooked with pork chops or chicken in the oven, or perhaps with beef chunks, mushrooms and a long-grain/wild rice mix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom