Discuss Cooking's Virtual Bed and Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One cognac and one chicken n dumplins and coleslaw.

OK. I'm off for a baking session to make cakes for this afternoon. Anyone got any favourites? I'm proposing an Italian apple cake, scones and a strawberry jam tart. I've got a ginger cake I made a few days ago, so that'll be ready now. If you've spotted any recipes on the forum that you especially like, point me to them.

Don't anyone ask me to make cucumber or egg mayonnaise sandwiches for a proper English afternoon tea. I don't see the point of cucumber sandwiches and the smell of hard-boiled eggs is just awful!

Sorry, Snoop, for not responding to your question about biscuits and gravy. In the U.S., biscuits are not cookies. They're a quick roll made with baking soda, not too distant from a scone, but no sugar. In the South (I'm from the North, so I'm not speaking from personal experience), they are used to sop up good homemade gravy, either sausage (YUM!!!!! Yes, I've had it at some good roadside restaurants come to think of it!) or chicken.

Now, about what cake I'd like....though I'm much more a fruit pie person, some of that gingerbread cake sounds good if you've got lemon sauce to go with it. Otherwise, would you please make an oatmeal orange cake with a coconut/walnut/orange juice glaze toasted off in the broiler? While you're at it?

Tell you what... I'll make some lemon sauce to go with the ginger cake (it would probably go well with apple cake too) and, if you like, a plum pie. I've got lots of really good plums that I could do with using up. Would that go down well? I didn't think about a fruit pie but I love them too.

ahhh, cognac...time for a soaker
7_3_110v.gif

OK. Cakes and plum pie on the table. Tea in the pot. Help yourselves. Last one to finish, can you put any leftover pie in the fridge and the cakes in the cake tins?

By the way, apple cake and lemon sauce go together very well...

I'm in heaven...plum pie and fresh whipped cream (found the cream in the fridge) and a nice cup of tea! Oops...Oh, sorry to you folks that didn't get to taste it....it was so good I didn't pay attention to how many pieces I kept slivering off for myself... :sick: Oh well...no need to put the leftovers in the refrigerator!

Actually, in my non-virtual kitchen here in Seoul I just served peach cobbler and bush tea to my good friend and we visited to half-past bedtime (bedtime's midnight.) Can't decide which I enjoyed more, the real peach cobbler or the virtual plum pie! :pig:

Sorry rdcast, nobody ordered cheesecake and I was making cakes of the type that traditionally go with tea (admittedly not the apple cake, but it's one of my favourites). I'll make you a cheesecake next Sunday. Do you have a favourite topping or recipe?

Glad you liked the plum pie, CantStopCooking. I imagine it was all the better for the cream!

Lovely looking apples, Cara. I'll have one now if I may.

That's not a problem. What you had was more than sufficient. As far as a cheesecake, I'm now working on an "Autumn Pumpkin Spice" for the season, so yea, when I'm satisfied with it, I'll bring a couple for us all to enjoy.

A good hot cider would be great with spiced rum. Very warming on cool autumn evenings.

Can'tStopCooking said:
Yes, warm out of the oven. And we also serve it with cold soymilk for those who are lactose intolerant! :)
I do need to watch my cholesterol but lucky for me, I prefer soymild over dairy, it's simply better.

rdcast, I'm a bit reluctant to recommend it but you could try Mudbug's hot tub if you're a refined lady who's kind to animals. Could be of course that you're a refined gentleman (hence the request for a masseuse rather than a masseur) and so don't qualify for admission. If you are allowed in, I gather massages are available on demand from young men named Pepe, Sven and so on. If mudbug kicks you out, let me know and I'll find you a masseur/se here.

Back
Top Bottom