Do you prefer custardy or fluffy scrambled eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of scrambled eggs do you prefer?

• Fluffy eggs

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Ramsay eggs or French style

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've not made the Ramsey recipe so I can't really compare but I do like my eggs fluffy.

I like scrambled eggs any way they are made as long as they aren't too dry or too runny or too much browned.

if you ask two people, you'll get three preferences.

I like mine cracked into a hot pan, and then scrambled - so there's streaks of white & yolk throughout.

it's so rare that any eatery does that, I settle for fluffy when 'out' and it's DIY when 'in'

it's like omelettes - creamy/fluffy "classic french" or country style, slight browning/etc. except of course, France has a country style as well....

It isn't a Midwestern thing. I'm from Upper Peninsula Michigan, abut as Northern Midwestern as you can get, I have had very dry and rubbery scrambled eggs, very moist and fluffy, silky smooth, runny, you name it, and all in the same town. Some like their eggs cooked in bacon fat, some in sausage grease, some in butter. Some like onions, or peppers or bits of bacon, or sausage mixed in. Some like their scrambled eggs smothered with gooey, melted cheese.

I don't think there is any right or wrong way ot make scrambled eggs. In fact, many people like scrambled eggs prepared one way on one day, and another way the next day.

seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

While I like Gordon Ramsey, there are a number of his recipes I am not a fan of… and runny eggs is one of them. Even with poached and fried eggs, I prefer an almost set yolk (some liquid is good, but don't like them completely liquid). So I like my scrambled eggs fluffy! Same with omelets.

And I quite like how McDonalds does their eggs in their Egg McMuffin, and often replicate it at home.

While I like Gordon Ramsey, there are a number of his recipes I am not a fan of… and runny eggs is one of them. Even with poached and fried eggs, I prefer an almost set yolk (some liquid is good, but don't like them completely liquid). So I like my scrambled eggs fluffy! Same with omelets.

And I quite like how McDonalds does their eggs in their Egg McMuffin, and often replicate it at home.

Bold #1... I agree.. Tried his recipe and neither of us liked it.

Bold #2... I have tried to duplicate McD's and mine are not quite right. Your method please.

Ross

Last edited:
Welcome, Old Cat Lady! Welcome to DC. If you're making fluffy scrambled eggs, I'd pull a chair up to your table. Ramsay can have his bowl of loose eggs all to himself.

My Himself and I have a difference of opinion on how loose or soft eggs can be. He really enjoys soft, moist scrambled eggs. I can't eat them with any "wet". I'd rather have them dried out and brown if those are the only two options. When I make them for us, I'll serve up his share of soft, barely moist eggs, then cook mine about another minute or two. For both of us, the less discernible the white, the better. I beat the daylights out of those eggs before pouring them into the pan!

Every once in a while, I want my scrambled eggs the way an English friend taught me to make them. Put a sauce pan on the heat and melt a knob of butter. Crack a couple of eggs into the pan. And salt them. Then, add some milk, turn up the heat, and beat the heck out of them with a fork. Makes for some tough clean up. Yummy, but not my favourite.

I don't make a lot of scrambled eggs but I've been using this method for a while and really like the results. My fussy granddaughter also loved them.

I have tried to duplicate McD's and mine are not quite right. Your method please.

Ross,

I use a silicone egg ring. If you don't have any, you can use a mason jar lid or biscuit cutter, but grease it well.

Put in a small to medium non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a pat of butter to the ring until foamy and then the egg. When the bottom of the egg sets, break yolk with the edge of a spatula using a slicing motion and season with salt and pepper. Then add enough tepid to warm water outside of the ring to last during the cooking process (for me about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) and cover with a lid (preferably a glass one so you can monitor the cooking process without removing it). Continue to cook/steam for 2-3 more minutes.

Ross,

I use a silicone egg ring. If you don't have any, you can use a mason jar lid or biscuit cutter, but grease it well.

Put in a small to medium non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a pat of butter to the ring until foamy and then the egg. When the bottom of the egg sets, break yolk with the edge of a spatula using a slicing motion and season with salt and pepper. Then add enough tepid to warm water outside of the ring to last during the cooking process (for me about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) and cover with a lid (preferably a glass one so you can monitor the cooking process without removing it). Continue to cook/steam for 2-3 more minutes.
Excellent.. Thank you.. :)

None of the methods I have followed suggest breaking the yolk. That may be the key to proper replication of McD's.

Ross

Huh. It's interesting that the "experts" have such a different opinion than the masses.

I put my scrambled eggs in a blender with spices and a pinch of baking powder before cooking them in a buttered pot with the lid on and fold in cheese when it's close to done. Ends up super fluffy and I like biting into the gooey bits of cheese as opposed to having them completely incorporated into the egg

I think the runny part is more European preference than North American.

I agree with this and have found that scrambled eggs are generally waaay too sloppy for my taste in the EU.

I like my scrambled eggs fully cooked but: No brown, not rubbery/tough, not watery and definitely not runny. I'm not picky - honest. ;)

I prefer large curd country style scrambled eggs that are not wet but still have a slight shine. I know it will upset some folks but I like to top them with a little Huy Fong sriracha catsup or chili sauce.

I'm not a fan of the fine textured creamy scrambled eggs or omelets.

My McDonald's version eggs are done in the microwave. I spray a small ramekin/Pyrex custard cup with cooking spray, crack in an egg, poke the yolk with the tip of a paring knife, season, cover with a paper towel and nuke for 30-40 seconds until almost set in the center. I've never had an egg explode or create a mess but the whites do sputter as the egg cooks and puffs. I'm still not brave enough to eliminate the paper towel from the process.:)

Last edited:
I'm quite particular about eggs -- I don't like runny yolks, but I also don't like overcooked/browned scrambled eggs.

I whisk them in a copper bowl until they're frothy, pour them in a hot pan with browned butter, then remove from heat and 'scramble' them until they're nearly all cooked. It doesn't take long at all.

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpg
    IMG_4033.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4038.jpg
    IMG_4038.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 73
If they are cooked too long they get drier, then I have to have something with them like hot sauce or the dredded ketchup..GF doesn't like them really moist so I eat a lot of hot sauce and ketchup when we have scrambled eggs

If they are cooked too long they get drier, then I have to have something with them like hot sauce or the dredded ketchup..GF doesn't like them really moist so I eat a lot of hot sauce and ketchup when we have scrambled eggs
Ever have them with homemade ketchup? I am not a fan of the stuff in the bottle, except to dip French fries into. But, homemade ketchup, yeah that I put on my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom