Do You Wash Your Clothes With Hot/Warm Or Cold Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our washer and dryer are old and make lots of noise, but as long as I can wash and dry my clothes, I'm keeping them.

My DIL wanted a front loader to save on water, but she got rid of it because she said it did not clean very well. I don't know why that would be. Other than her pre-schooler, how dirty could their clothes be? Ours don't get dirty, just need freshened up.

Top loaders are certainly the way to go in my opinion ;)

Top loaders are certainly the way to go in my opinion ;)

All the years of housekeeping I always had a Kenmore. Which is Sears less expensive version of Whirlpool. I swear by them. I had one set 15 years before I had to have a minor repair done. The agitator needed a new washer on the post.

The cost of the special soaps for the front loaders, plus I have heard from several folks about the clothes not getting clean just seems to be a waste of money. Poo and his wife received a w/d front loaders as a wedding present from her parents. They both hate them, but can only hope both machines bite the dust at the same time. :angel:

From what I've read and seen, front loaders are overrated. Not only are they temperamental and need special soap, they also stink. I'm quite happy with my Kenmore top loader.

I'm really happy with my front loader. I think I got it in 2006. I haven't had any issues with it and I like the way it washes. I don't use the special soap, I just use half as much as for a top loader. I also like that my dryer stacks on top of it.

We've had a Bosch front-load washer for about five or six years. No problems, no smells. Can't judge the softness of the clothing since it was older and less soft when the washer arrived. Himself is still cuddle soft and he still hugs me so I guess our clothes smell good and are soft. ;) I had odor issues with our old Kenmore and had to make sure we had the "second rinse" setting on all the time unless I was washing rags. And the soap? Right on the shelf next to the regular soap. Same price per "serving" and the packaging for the High Efficiency is smaller. And this washer is WAY quieter and uses a lot less water.

All the years of housekeeping I always had a Kenmore. Which is Sears less expensive version of Whirlpool. I swear by them. I had one set 15 years before I had to have a minor repair done. The agitator needed a new washer on the post.

The cost of the special soaps for the front loaders, plus I have heard from several folks about the clothes not getting clean just seems to be a waste of money. Poo and his wife received a w/d front loaders as a wedding present from her parents. They both hate them, but can only hope both machines bite the dust at the same time. :angel:

I agree, they are more trouble than what they are worth and I too think they are over rated!

The one we bought and only had for 5 weeks made all our clothes hard and stiff...they were no longer soft. The towels became scratchy, stiff and un useable...the loads took forever to finish....there was nothing about it we liked and yet we were doing all the right things, it was just the washer! The water rating is the same on our top loader we have now as it was on this front loader, so not all front loaders use less water than top loaders! The energy rating is actually better on our top loader too than it was on the front loader. We find our new top loader a lot quieter than the front loader was too

So pleased we have gone back to a top loader, I cant tell you how happy I am with this machine :) :)

Last edited:
I am wondering about the "odor" people are talking about. I always assume if my clothes are washed, they won't smell bad, but last week my husband got out a recently laundered towel to dry my grandson's hair and my grandson pushed the towel away and said "Eww, that stinks!" I smelled it and didn't notice an offensive odor, but it also didn't smell nice. I use fabric softener in the washer when I wash them but no dryer sheet. I may start using a dryer sheet. I have an older top loader washer and a front loader dryer. Aren't all dryers front loader?

Addie, I agree with you that people who smoke are not breaking any laws so I support their right to smoke, especially those like you who are not offensive smokers. In spite of the known health hazards of smoking, there are many people who have smoked all their lives and lived a very long life in spite of their smoking. It is a personal choice. I once made the comment that if I was told I had a terminal illness, I would go out and buy a carton of cigarettes. People jumped all over me because of that comment, but I felt that the cigarettes could not make my life any worse than "terminal."

What kind of fabric softener do you use? When I was growing up, I liked to walk between the sheets drying outside on the line. They always smelled so nice.

We dont use fabric softener...it must be the powder we use that makes them smell nice :)

Interesting. There was a story on the Today Show this morning about front loading washers and mold that makes clothes smell.

I leave the door to my washer open after washing clothes but my husband goes by and closes it. He has a tendancy to follow me around and "correct my mistakes." @@@

I leave the door to my washer open after washing clothes but my husband goes by and closes it. He has a tendancy to follow me around and "correct my mistakes." @@@

Here, I am the one that goes around and correct Steve's doings :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom