What do you drive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My FIL worked at Ford, so since we are eligible for the family discount, we have always owned Ford vehicles. Right now, we both have Ford Escape small SUVs. Mine is blue and DH's is red. His is one year newer than mine (he was rear-ended and his truck totaled the same day we paid it off), so it has better electronics grrr lol. I like being a little tall, able to see above the little sedans lol

2004 volvo V70 AWD wagon, galvanized Swedish steel, no rust.
240k miles and everything still works.

I had a V70 about 15 years ago. It was my "work" car. I paid around $5,000 for it, and used it to haul photography gear in. It had the bulletproof 5-cylinder engine (originally an Audi engine that Volvo bought the production rights to).

BTW, rust is NOT an issue in North Texas. Classic cars that have spent their whole life in Texas are in high demand among collectors.

1705524109889.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
I have a mini cooper S - the first automatic I've ever had, but am appreciating it more each day. I drive it in all weather and it does fine. No need for a 4-wheel drive: It thinks its big!

I do buy new cars and drive them until they are dead.

I bought mine used. It was 15 years old when I finally sold it, but looked almost like a new car.

1705524373261.jpeg

My Audi Q5 is now six years old, and looks like new.

1705526259013.jpeg

CD

I had a V70 about 15 years ago. It was my "work" car. I paid around $5,000 for it, and used it to haul photography gear in. It had the bulletproof 5-cylinder engine (originally an Audi engine that Volvo bought the production rights to).

BTW, rust is NOT an issue in North Texas. Classic cars that have spent their whole life in Texas are in high demand among collectors.

View attachment 67638

CD
always wondered what they look like without dents and clean paint.
i paid $2000 6 years ago and had to replace the turbo but besides timing belt and brakes its trouble free. I have the vida dealership software and do all my own work on it, couldn't afford it if i was paying a mechanic.

I have a 2005 Volvo S60. Back in 2004, I was rear ended by a drunk in a 1995 Volvo sedan. The car was totalled. We had no injuries, not so much as a crick in the neck. That is a good part of the reason I am loyal to Volvos. The fact that they are reliable snow cars really doesn't hurt in the climate here and the not really rusting is very relevant. I have been happy with various Nokian (Finnish company) winter tires.
Edit to say that I and DH were in the 1995 Volvo, not the drunk driver.

I drive an Audi Q5, too. 2022 with 8000 miles on it.

ive only owned 2 new cars in my life. My Toyota and my Saab

And never owned ,ever in my life, an American made car. Sorry. Oh no, wait, my first car at 15 years old was my mustang.

always wondered what they look like without dents and clean paint.
i paid $2000 6 years ago and had to replace the turbo but besides timing belt and brakes its trouble free. I have the vida dealership software and do all my own work on it, couldn't afford it if i was paying a mechanic.

I had my V70 painted. I worked for a car magazine, and was able to trade ad space for the paint job. We did that when we needed something and had some unsold ad space to barter with.

When I bought mine, I had no maintenance records to tell me if the timing belt had ever been replaced, so I went ahead and had it done.

Mine was not a T5 (turbo). My XC70 was a T6. I only had it for 8 months. I bought it from my parents when my mom gave up driving. I just didn't like it. I sold it for more than I paid for it (I told my parents first, and they were fine with it).

My sister has had two XC60s, and currently has a 2022 XC40. All of them AWD with the T5 engine.

CD

I drive an Audi Q5, too. 2022 with 8000 miles on it.

ive only owned 2 new cars in my life. My Toyota and my Saab

And never owned ,ever in my life, an American made car. Sorry. Oh no, wait, my first car at 15 years old was my mustang.

I never owned an import brand car until I bought a Mercedes in 1999 (I bought my first new car in 1979). Since then, my cars have been a VW, four Audis, a couple of Volvos, and a couple of Chevy trucks. I've always had Chevy Trucks to tow my boats with. Up until the V8 Toyota Tundra (made in Texas), the Japanese makers didn't did not have a truck that could tow a boat well.

CD

2014 Madza 5 Sport (minivan). I work as a courier so a minivan allows me to do orders I would otherwise miss. It's a pretty crappy ride, actually. All I could afford when I bought it.

I had 4 Ford Focuses. Great car. Pity they don't make them anymore.

2014 Madza 5 Sport (minivan). I work as a courier so a minivan allows me to do orders I would otherwise miss. It's a pretty crappy ride, actually. All I could afford when I bought it.

I had 4 Ford Focuses. Great car. Pity they don't make them anymore.

They are still available in European markets until the end of the 2025 model year. Ford in the US killed off all of its passenger cars in the US except the Mustang. They now focus (pardon the pun) on Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers.

CD

Brand new 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, wedding gift from my dad. First new car after that, a yellow Toyota 69 or 70? turned out to be true to its colour. A real lemon! A variety of cars, some new, some used, as a two car family, that's sort of how it went. On my own I had always had Chrysler Mini Vans (Grand Caravans) all used, the equivalent in a Voyageur (is that right?)
Then finally I bought in 2015, a brand new Grand Caravan and am still driving it. Have had no major problems with it - it's been good to me. I will be 80 at the end of this year. Always said I would just drive it til it dies... now I'm just hoping it lasts until I die! :LOL:

I will be 80 at the end of this year. Always said I would just drive it til it dies... now I'm just hoping it lasts until I die! :LOL:
I told my oncologist I wanted a cat but this cancer makes me hesitate, he said go ahead you'll live longer than a darn cat. So I did.
A year later it got killed by a car.
The doctor was right.

@gerardj I'm sorry to hear that about the cat. Get another cat. The more love in the world the better.

I drive buicks, he drives fords. My buick is gone now and I need to replace it with a car. I don't know what I want yet. I buy used.

@gerardj I'm sorry to hear that about the cat. Get another cat. The more love in the world the better.

I drive buicks, he drives fords. My buick is gone now and I need to replace it with a car. I don't know what I want yet. I buy used.
my wife doesn't like cats, some people don't "get it".

bought a new car once, never again.
I do all my own work, save a ton of money and make them last 10 years usually.

If you can find an old Buick Park Avenue with the 3.8 liter V6, in good shape and with reasonable miles, they are very good cars. Finding such a car is the trick.

I know very little about newer Buicks.

CD

started out with a 1959 4-door Vauxhall.
traded for a 1970 Volvo 142S
sold in 1985 when I went overseas for long term work.
bought a 1990 Audi 100Q, scrapped @300Kmiles when the electical system blew up....that may have been a mistake . . .
thence drove an inherited 1996 MB 230; very underpowered, horrible automatic
traded on a 2013 MB C300 - which I'm still driving. naturally aspirated V6, seriously better performance, runs 34 mph @70-80mph on the interstate. very comfortable road car.

buy 'em, keep / self maintain, until the wheels fall off . . .

my wife doesn't like cats, some people don't "get it".

bought a new car once, never again.
I do all my own work, save a ton of money and make them last 10 years usually.
My mother hated cats. Hated, hated, hated, with a real passion. Then my parents had mice in their house, and my father put his foot down: we need a cat, we're getting a cat. My mother was profoundly unhappy, but she gave in and they got a cat. Mice disappeared immediately.

Less than a month later my mother and that cat were inseparable. After that cat passed on she got another one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom