Family oddest dish that is always made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lutefish her is eaten with white milk sauce, potatoes and yeah the horrid fish.

Then there is surströmmingslåda, it is a potato bake with fermented herring, used to get that as a child. The generation who saw this as lovely treat is now dead and my mum hasnt made it yet. She is right now on a blood bread fix.

Shrek likes bleu cheese dressing on his fries...I like mine with salt only.

All my fries have to be crisp. Don't pour anything over my fries I like to dip. I love to dip fries (and steak) in blue cheese dip/dressing. All fries need salt. Sometimes with ketchup. I like steak fries with malt vinegar or shoe string fries with tarter sauce.

Guess this isn't an "odd dish" either but I once made a Jello dessert that was good but very sweet - too sweet for me. I'm also talking back in the late '60's, early '70's.

Used red, yellow, green, orange jello, I think there was dream whip in it, on a graham crust. You made the jello in shallow pans, cut them in tiny squares, folded into the cream on top of the crust. "Broken Glass" or "Confetti" or "Stained Glass" something. All the ladies loved it, but it took far too long to make, especially since I only had one pan to do the jello in - LOL - never made it again but always remember it. Presentation was very striking with all the Stained Glass pieces!

There was a jello "salad" holiday dish my Mom made that was on every table until my half brother died. It was his favorite, and she never made it again after that, but I remember it well as a child.
She melted red hot candies in lime jello, and floated canned pear halves in a 9x13. The pear halves holes were stuffed with a combo of soft cream cheese mixed with sugar, chopped pecans and topped with a maraschino cherry half. Served on a perfect lettuce leaf it was "very elegant" circa 1950's.
I need to make that again, in memory of him and her.

Last edited:
Kayelle - that rings a bell somewhere! If you have the recipe I would love to see it. Sounds elegant to my 50's nostalgia!

Don't remember the cheese and pecans - I probably would not have like that back then - but the pears, jello, maraschino cherries that got the bells tolling.

Kayelle - that rings a bell somewhere! If you have the recipe I would love to see it. Sounds elegant to my 50's nostalgia!

Don't remember the cheese and pecans - I probably would not have like that back then - but the pears, jello, maraschino cherries that got the bells tolling.

Don't forget the melted red hot candies in the lime jello! That was really important. The color wasn't so great but the flavor was. No recipe, but I remember helping her make it.

Guess this isn't an "odd dish" either but I once made a Jello dessert that was good but very sweet - too sweet for me. I'm also talking back in the late '60's, early '70's.

Used red, yellow, green, orange jello, I think there was dream whip in it, on a graham crust. You made the jello in shallow pans, cut them in tiny squares, folded into the cream on top of the crust. "Broken Glass" or "Confetti" or "Stained Glass" something. All the ladies loved it, but it took far too long to make, especially since I only had one pan to do the jello in - LOL - never made it again but always remember it. Presentation was very striking with all the Stained Glass pieces!
My Mom made a Jell-o Stained Glass cake for me for my birthday one year. She used a springform pan...and had more than one pan for making the different jell-o flavors. ;) It wasn't that sweet, but so very rich! Dream Whip and Cool Whip weren't on the market yet, so Mom's cake was made with lightly sweetened real whipping cream. :yum: *groan* :yum: I'm pretty sure we didn't have ice cream with my birthday cake that summer, either. :LOL:

You're right CG - I stand corrected. I should have used the word "rich" rather than sweet! :rolleyes:

so what was the powdered stuff, came in a blue (?) envelope, you whipped it up with milk and had.... ?? Perhaps it was the pre-curser to Dream Whip or Cool Whip. :LOL:

Think we also had to add more gelatin to the whipped stuff to give it enough body to cut into serving squares. Bet if I look hard enough I could find the recipe somewhere in my pile of papers. :ermm:

Dream Whip was introduced to the market in 1957. You mix the powder with milk and vanilla.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I just remembered something my Mom and I used to have on nights where we didn't want a big meal and my Dad was working. I still have it, though had to adapt it to be gluten free and it isn't quite the same.

Quite simply, it is creamed mushrooms on toast. It may not seem weird at first but what it is made of may help in that area.

You have to use canned mushrooms (sliced are best) as fresh just aren't the same. You make a roux with flour and butter, add the liquid from the mushrooms, stir a minute, add milk and get to a creamy consistency. Add the mushrooms, and salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce to taste. Pour onto toast and enjoy!

Just please don't tell my chef instructors about this one :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
GotGarlic: Have you eaten blackpudding?

It jsut blackpudding with a roll, it is really yummy. We prefer Scottish over Swedish.

What's black pudding? Is it blood sausage? If so, I'm out!

Last edited:
Dawgluver: It is not and it is, slightly different texture and do not contain meat as blood sausage can, our is flavored with ginger and clove.

Dawgluver: It is not and it is, slightly different texture and do not contain meat as blood sausage can, our is flavored with ginger and clove.

Yes, it is. "Black pudding is a type of blood sausage commonly eaten in Great Britain, Ireland and in other parts of Europe. Wikipedia"

And yes, I have eaten it, on a trip to Ireland. We had it at breakfast our first morning there and did not like it one bit. Tried it once and will never have it again. Sorry.

I dont like the Irish blood pudding and not English, it has to be Scottish or Swedish.

Back
Top Bottom