First Tomato 6-6-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Howdy Forum, It has been a while since logging in and I must say the forum looks great although it is taking some time to get acclimated. Our, I mean Emma's, tomato plants are doing well and finally produced a red one she could eat. This year we planted all cherry and grape tomatoes as they typically get eaten long before they make it into the house anyway.
IMG_2283.jpg

First Tomatoes 6-9-09

Hey bknox,
Emma is just adorable. And nice looking tomato. I picked my first two yesterday and of course they were cherry and I ate them right away. Yummy!
I planted cherry and roma's. I got about 14-16 more cherry's on one plant and about 8-10 roma's on the other. This is my first try at vegetable gardening and so far so good. I also planted a green bell and yellow bell pepper. I am doing mine in containers. I have some itsy bitsy peppers on both plants, can't wait to eat those.

Bravo Bryan!! Or rather Emma!!!....
I've been eating a few mators off of some early plants....Main crop in the garden are still green...I got started late!

:)Thanks! She has 3 plants in containers and 5 in the ground. All are doing pretty good. Last summer she had one grape tomato plant that produced, as far as we could tell, about 130 tomatoes. We put grape tomato plant in that same spot this year. It is like having a snack machine in the yard. I planted a couple bean and pea plants fo rthe same reason.:)

I love summer!

We didn't put any cherry or grape tomatoes out this year so ours aren't ready yet. They are big enough but haven't turned yet. I think we are watching them too close. We've had green beans, yellow squash and peppers already.

I plant early girls and it'll be another month before we get our first (very cool, windy spring weather). I don't do cherry and similar tomatoes because they actually taste OK at the grocery store and I eat them the rest of the year. I did plant them in my ladies' garden (a blind friend and a crippled one who live together) so that they can just pick them off the bush and eat (the blind friend can see light and color to some degree).

My first tomatoes just turned! I think I'll be able to pick my first by the end of the week. I'm so excited (sorry, I really do love good tomatoes!)

We already got tons of tomatoes! Here on the gulf coast they say to replant no later than August. Since ours are playing out now, very small and dying, we are going to replant and see what happens. Kookie, we've been water now nearly every day because it's been so dry and it doesn't seem to be working. Here we can go all the way to Christmas and get tomatoes. If we get any cold weather here it's late January.

Bryan, I finally got my first tomato on Weds. Yes, I don't know where Cicero is, but here in Galena (the very most NW corner of the state) my plants are monsters because of the cool, gloomy and wet weather (I think I watered them once or twice when they were baby plants). They're so huge I'm not sure I'll be able to find the tomatoes. I pulled my second tomato yesterday, and I see a couple that are finally starting to turn. I promised my family that I'd visit them as soon as the tomatoes come in with a big box of them (Florida has notoriously flavorless tomatoes), but at this rate I think we'll have our first frost before I have enough tomatoes to share. I mostly plant Early Girls because our season is so short.

Back
Top Bottom