Food waste - options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rice jasmine

Assistant Cook
Keenan Recycling provides food waste collection services for businesses including, restaurants, hotels, care homes, hospitals, and prisons.

Last edited by a moderator:
In California, at least where my MIL lives they have compost program. I wish they had it here in MN.

In my city, they give out brown bins for food waste and collect them for composting. Unfortunately, they don't collect from apartment blocks or condo associations. I know that Montreal also has collection of compostable waste.

As for the food waste for the two of us, what we don't eat our garbage disposal, Harley, takes care of most of it. Otherwise the things she isn't interested in, make their way to our compost area. Nothing goes to waste here

Last edited:
Charlie, our Quebec winters are the same as yours. Our compost was put in special bins (like others have mentioned) and they still collect, all winter. It is put in special compostable bags. No different than any other garbage - just where it ends up.

On the farm - even though I had a bin, I did not use it as I had my own compost heap where I dumped it. Most of my farm neighbours used it tho and every one in towns and city's do., or at least are supposed to.

Charlie, do you have a garden? Doesn't have to be vegetable, maybe just flowers? You could start your own compost. Or maybe you have a neighbour that does? Someone at the synagogue must?

I buy bags at the $$tore that are compostable. Collect your waste in them and then dump in the compost heap.

It really is a shame but maybe your town will catch up someday.

No thank you. ;)
My father used to garden in my front yard, since he pass, I asphalted the whole thing, now I have a car port. :)
First of all, I have no time. I work full time, take care of my mother which is nearly a full time job, volunteer in the synagogue every Friday, cooking for the crowd, Shabbat, no work. There is very little time left for pleasure. Second of all, what am I going to do with compost in the winter?

I hear you Charlie, not to worry, your plate is certainly full. So composting is just not on your list.

But like I said, winter is no deterrent, it just piles up, gets covered in snow, and melts beautifully hot come the sun. That's what the rest of the world does, and actually when you think of it, the middle of large composts are quite warm and probably never freeze. You would notice that when the sun comes out - that is the first place to melt the snow with heat from below and sun above. But I'm not going to dig down in winter to prove it.. :LOL: but technically...

When I lived in the country, we just composted by putting it all in a pile and adding leaves. In winter, it melted the snow on top. One year, in spring, it was full of garter snakes staying warm from the heat of the compost pile.

Thankfully I never had that happen. :evil:
We thought it was great fun. I like snakes and garter snakes were thought to be non-venomous back then. It turns out that they do have a mild toxin, but they don't really have any way to deliver it to people. So, they really are harmless to things too big for them to swallow whole.

Venomous or not - snicketypoosnays are not welcome and do not belong in my world.
Unfortunately there are many venomous snicketypoosnays here, and as the weeds have suddenly shot up overnight, where they tend to hide, I'm waiting for my friend Nir to come and spray my yards.

[Snicketypoosnays has now been added to my "special words" book, where it will live with others such as bonge, addycooker, snigglysnaggly, and other such delights]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom