Friday's Kitchen Effort 4/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Shrimp & Grits ....
Cheddar Grits, Cajun-Spiced Shrimp sautee'd in Bacon Grease, The Bacon,
and Scallions...

Shrimp & Grits.jpg

We had breaded haddock (bought it frozen, already breaded) with homemade remoulade, macaroni salad on a bed of Boston lettuce leaves, pickled carrot sticks, and lemon wedges. There was white wine to go with it.

Attachments

• PXL_20210416_224223241 small.jpg
    PXL_20210416_224223241 small.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20210416_224244984 small.jpg
    PXL_20210416_224244984 small.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 63
Tried a new recipe tonight-pasta ala Norcina. Basically penne cooked with crumbled Italian sausage in a cream and romano cheese sauce. It was NOT a hit.

I tried it once again today ...

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

... I went to pick up "Hawaiian Food" from this food truck,
and stood there for 1 1/4 hours for this ...
>edit - I was THIRD in line when the finally opened 35 minutes late!!!
>edit #2 - it took 40 minutes to serve 3 customers - WOW!
>edit #3, one more ant - the food is all pre-made, except the Shrimp
> ok, just one more, I arrived 20 minutes prior to their supposed opening
... that was a long morning just to pick up dinner !!!

IMG_0433.jpg

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken, with Rice & Mac Salad
North Shore Garlic Shrimp
2 Spam Musubi
and a free Banana Nut Bread

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

This is suppose to be dinner.
1) not that much Chicken there Uncle!
2) everything is tasteless
3) the shrimp is super under cooked
4) the chicken is OVER cooked
5) cost WAY too much $37.xx
6) I can make my own
this was my bad! so, I've got some of my Quick Cucumber
Kimchi and my own Teriyaki Chicken to add to the mix.

Let me tell you, DH said that if this guy can make it and stay
open for 6 months, I should open my own truck with my food,
which tastes good! :ohmy:
:chef:

Last edited:
And to think, K-Girl, some people will think that is what authentic Hawaiian cooking is like. See if he has a Yelp listing and set people straight. [emoji6]

It was soup weather today! I made a half batch of shrimp soup, and followed that up with tuna melt sandwiches.

IMG_20210416_210013385_HDR.jpg

I wanted comfort "diner fare" tonight. After foraging in the freezer, fridge, and pantry, I opted to make Salisbury steak. I've not made it in decades. Other than using a bit too much Dijon mustard, it turned out well. Canned peas and basic mashed potatoes that was simply made for mushroom gravy.

@Kgirl - that would have burned my biscuits to stand in line for a taste of home and come away disappointed.

@Andy - I get really excited to make something new and, when it isn't a hit, I can pout all night over it. Hopefully, you salvaged the meal with ice cream...or something awesome.

@tlady - I always try to keep breaded fish on-hand for my never-ending desire of "fast food" fish sandwiches. Your dinner looks far healthier!

@LuckyT - I love grits...and shrimp...and bacon. It had to be awesome!

Attachments

• 2021-04-16.jpg
    2021-04-16.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 46
I wanted comfort "diner fare" tonight. After foraging in the freezer, fridge, and pantry, I opted to make Salisbury steak. I've not made it in decades. Other than using a bit too much Dijon mustard, it turned out well. Canned peas and basic mashed potatoes that was simply made for mushroom gravy.

@Kgirl - that would have burned my biscuits to stand in line for a taste of home and come away disappointed.

@Andy - I get really excited to make something new and, when it isn't a hit, I can pout all night over it. Hopefully, you salvaged the meal with ice cream...or something awesome.

@tlady - I always try to keep breaded fish on-hand for my never-ending desire of "fast food" fish sandwiches. Your dinner looks far healthier!

@LuckyT - I love grits...and shrimp...and bacon. It had to be awesome!

Kathleen, this is the suggestion that I made some time back to the Admin Team ... another site that I belong to uses, I don't know what you call it, but when we type @soandso this will "tag" them and they will get an email to let them know that someone on the forum is talking to or about them ... as seeing as you have an in, ya know ;) it's GREAT!!!

And yes, my biscuits were very brunt btw!!! I threw the Macaroni Salad out today :ohmy: I NEVER throw out food!!! :censored: I too come from a family of, "it's still good, eat it!!"
:ROFLMAO:

I understand, K-girl. Growing up, we never tossed any "good" food. I'm still struggling to overcome that notion, but it is a hard habit to break. I'm usually of the mindset, "Oh, I can doctor that up and make it better."

Back
Top Bottom