Garden 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I did some taste tests, only while cutting up all those 3 lbs of tomatoes for dinner. The two that tasted best were the Green Zebra Cherry, and the Prune Verte Green Plum, which is actually a juicy plum variety - not quite as strong as the GZ, but still a fairly strong, and delicious flavor. The Matt's Hornet, which is a small, striped grape tomato, almost the same size and shape as Sprite, has a very mild flavor, even milder than Sprite, which has a good flavor, but also not very strong. The Purple Bumblebees have a good flavor, but it seems there were a bunch not quite ripe, so they are taking longer than some to totally ripen, even though they look ripe. Now I put a bunch of these aside for later, if they were firm - the softer ones I cut up. The other purple variety I have - Piglet Willie Black - has a good flavor, though not as strong as the greens, and a fairly large core I had to cut out, which I don't like in these things. It is only 2-2½". The Juliets are good, and I have a lot of those. Not quite as strong as some of the others, but productive, and since these are F3s, not the hybrids, I'll save the seeds from the better of the two plants. Oaxacan Jewel has a very good flavor - again, not as strong as the greens, but the most productive of the non-cherries. The Sunsugars also have a great flavor, plus sweeter than any of the others - I put some of these in dishes like this, but most of those I eat as a snack!

Having had a bad pepper last year ( for the first time, with out any obvious explanation), I have been keeping a very close eye on the plants this year. Again, although not as bad as last year, still having issues. I bought 3 plants from burpee "Thunderbolt". I have bought them in the past ( from Burpee) with great success ( until last year). The plants arrived healthy, but a little earlier than I like to get them outside, so I babied them a bit til the temps were up. Two of the plants I planted in the ground, about 8 feet from each other. The third plant its in a huge pot on the patio. All in relatively prime locations in the garden ( section with decent sun exposure). All getting the same soil/ fertilizer regiment that I've successfully used/ done in the past. The patio plant is doing great, one of the ones in the ground is doing OK, and the third one is crap. It initially produced 2 or 3 peppers that made it to full size ( very lower on the plant), but showed no signs of new growth or flowers. I snipped off the peppers before they fully ripened, hoping it may allow the plant to put more energy into growing. after a few weeks, nothing. I finally decided that I had nothing too lose, and I didnt want it taking up prime real estate in the garden, as it was early enough to get it out and replaced it with something that will do better. I dug it up, and moved the one that was 8 feet away into its spot ( it was in a bottomless large pot submerged in the ground, so moving it was easy and didnt disturb the root system). The one I moved his now doing great. The one I dug up, I put into a pot and heavily pruned it, I figured that may trigger it to start to put out new growth , and it did !. It's still early enough that it has time to grow and flower. Because it's in a pot, I can always bring it into the garage if I need to extend the season.

***If you look closely at the heavily pruned plant, you can see some new growth/ leaves starting to emerge**

Attachments

• pepper 1.png
    pepper 1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • Pepper 2.png
    Pepper 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
So yesterday I ripped up 4 ( of the 6) achocha vines. Although the plants look healthy, there was minimal fruit, and they grow so aggressively ( as a vine), they were starting to take over. If it were September, I may have let them continue, but there is still too much season left. I did leave another 2 vines that have more fruit on them, and are not affecting their neighbors. Would I grow them again? I'd consider it, but now, with the knowledge of their aggressive growing nature , and I'd take precautions. I'm glad I did it for the experience of trying and tasting something new.

With new vacant space in my garden, I headed to one of my favorite nurseries to see if they had anything to replace them with. Slim Pickens. A month ago, I would have been jockeying too find a good parking spot, push and shove to make sure I get the plants I wanted, and after all that , wait on long lines to pay. Yesterday, only 3 cars in the lot ( including mine), no waiting on line, but they had the good old buy 2, get one free deal, so I found a few established tomato plants, a few cells of chard ( which I picked the best, pruned them, and made my own cells, and a few other things. Its kinda late to be doing this, but it was only a few bucks, and it kept me busy.

I did plant some rutabaga, beets and carrots the other day , by seed, and I'm already getting my late season greens seed packets ready ( kale, lettuce, arugula ....) so I know what I have and can get what I may need. This stuff wont go in til late August.

Before the humidity came down, later in the day (which it did, finally, though it didn't matter to the mosquitoes!), I cut up the rest of my eggplants, and 4 trays of tomatoes, to go into the dehydrator. Still had a good amount of slightly less ripe tomatoes, but I left those to ripen a little longer, for maybe another one of those salads I make with cherry tomatoes. And even though I pulled every one that had a hint of ripe yesterday (those that need another day), there were a bunch when I went out there today that were totally ripe, though I didn't pick them.
3 more trays of eggplant, and first 4 trays of tomatoes in the dehydrator. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cherry tomatoes left after the 4 trays went in the dehydrator. These were not quite as ripe. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All I picked today was one more cucumber, and trimmed some of the usual things. The Kajari melon hasn't started ripening, but one of the plants has 5 fruits forming on it already, and the other plant seems it only has 3, though maybe I just didn't see some! There are several bottle gourds ready to pick, and they seem to be getting something to pollinate them now - in the beginning, I always have to hand pollinate them, with Q-tips, since they are night flowering. The bitter melons are starting to produce now - usually, they are earlier, but I think because of the cooler spring I had, they are later, like the okra this season.
5 Kajari melons on one plant, visible in one photo. 7-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

First of the White bitter melons, growing faster than the green Sayonara. 7-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The first Sayonara bitter melon, about the same size as the White one, though this started earlier. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The melons are getting close to full size, with the largest ones, but no hints of ripening yet. We have some highs forecast in the high 90s this week - not good for many things, but it should help these, and many of my peppers get ripe!

I uncovered 2 of my pepper tubs today (skipped the third one because it was in the sun already - I'll have to start earlier), and harvested about the same amount of the same things - the Big Mic and some jalapeños. And the same tub - the one with Joe Parker, Numex 6-4, and a Pimiendo De Pedron - had a bunch of aphids! I hosed them all off, let it dry, and sprayed everything with a homemade mix of garlic, hot pepper, rosemary, mint, and a few of the new leaves I trim from the tomatoes, when I pull some of the suckers. I blended that well, then strained it, and diluted it, and added some ThermX70, and sprayed a bunch of it on the infested plants, and what was left on the other tub, even though they didn't have the aphids (there were a few ants below, but nothing like the infested plants). I couldn't add any Neem oil, as it is forecast to be in the 90s soon. I'll see how it works. In just another week, I can uncover these for good, as it is around 8-1 that the pepper maggot flies are gone for the

The Thai peppers are starting to ripen big time now. And one of those Datil peppers ripened, which is very early for a chinense pepper. I was actually going to pop it in my mouth out there, when I picked it, but decided not to, though they aren't supposed to be as hot as many of the habaneros, and certainly not a super-hot. There are a bunch of Red Savinas on the plant, but none ripening, as that was the last plant that went in this season.
Big Mic Numex, and some Jalapeño M, and Pumpkin Spice Jalapeños. 7-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A bunch of Thai Vesuvius ripening, 7-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A few of the Thai Dragons ripening, 7-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A very small Datil pepper ripening, 7-23. Most are much larger, like that one above it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I harvested my first cluster of tomàquets de penjar (Spanish hanging tomatoes.) I have a few to use on ciabiatta bread, but will hang a group up to see how they hold up.

View attachment 65308
He Pepper, just out of curiosity, what would you consider your most productive (mid to large)tomato you are currently growing ? and why would you consider your best tasting tomato ?

Our zucchini, I don't know what to say, we have easily over 100 blossoms right now and I don't know which army we are supposed to feed. We ripped out about 1/4th of the greenery which was taking over the rows next to it, so the kale and tomatoes could grow. I hear that pruning the zucchini will make it even more productive. If your army is passing by in Wisconsin, stop by and we have zucchini for you. :ROFLMAO:

Our zucchini, I don't know what to say, we have easily over 100 blossoms right now and I don't know which army we are supposed to feed. We ripped out about 1/4th of the greenery which was taking over the rows next to it, so the kale and tomatoes could grow. I hear that pruning the zucchini will make it even more productive. If your army is passing by in Wisconsin, stop by and we have zucchini for you. :ROFLMAO:
The flowers are edible. I have read that you can stuff them or use them as fritters. There are probably other ways to use them too.

Our tomatoes are still all green. We harvested 16 6-inch yellow and green zucchini, which I shredded and they're in the dehydrator.
We have another almost 7 qts of raspberries in the freezer and I only need 6 more for another case of jam, woo hoo. We're saving little cucumbers for pickles in the drawer in the fridge.

I post this so frequently that I'm sure you are all tired of it, but it still needs to be said.
I always plant too much of any vegetable, and our local food pantry is so happy to receive any fresh vegetables.
Please check with a local pantry, see if they can accept home grown produce, and if so, please contribute what you can. So many people in need of food either do not have the space nor the physical ability to plant a garden.

I did a lot today, mainly because it was a gorgeous day, only getting up to 80°, and a 52° dewpoint!! That's unbelievable, compared to what we've been dealing with lately. Even when I went to Aldi at 9 am, it was 67°, and there was almost no dew on the lawn; lately, I've had to wait until 2 or 3 pm for the dew to evaporate, in the 90+ and super-humid days we've been having. It was totally dried up by 10:30 am, when I went out and uncovered my peppers. I've had some yellow tape traps out there the last several days, and no pepper maggot flies, so I took the cover off the 3 tubs. The one I didn't uncover last time had aphids, as I was afraid of, so I hosed them off, and since it got so cool out, I sprayed them with neem oil, and some potassium bicarbonate, to maybe deal with any fungal problems. After this, I mowed my lawn, and trimmed a bunch of overgrowth, from my neighbor's fence. Then I pulled a number of plants that I wasn't getting any more from in the garden - the bottle gourds, some of the cucumbers, and of course, a few weeds. I got 3 cans of lawn trash for tomorrow's pickup.

I don't know if it was just the intense heat that stopped those varieties of things totally stop, or almost stop, but I just pulled every thing that wasn't doing something, and am replacing with something that will, eventually produce something. I planted some County Fair seeds, and some County Fair Improved (both of these I stocked up on in spring, with some free shipping from a couple places), to see if there is a difference. And the original is the only variety of CF is the only cucumber I didn't pull out, as it is still producing. I get first harvest in about 55 days, but probably less, starting in the heat. I'm also going to start some cauliflower, and other larger fall crops - things I usually don't have luck with, but I'll see if this works out better than later.
I think those varieties of bottle gourds must not like heat, because after those last few that I harvested, they totally stopped flowering, and many leaves turned brown, and usually they have no problems with diseases or insects. These must not like heat, but next year I'll find a variety from the south. I pulled these, and that's where I planted some of the cucumber seeds.

I saw the first 4 butternut squash out there, plus a number more just forming. Seems they all form one, while growing in the beginning, but many more, come September. In the meantime, I always harvest a bunch of the male blossoms, which it creates in large numbers.
one of the first 4 butternut squash I have. 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Every morning I'm starting to get more okra, including some odd shaped Star of Davids. The Emerald is not producing well, and the Hill Country Red is very slow, with some fat okra, like Star of David.
Okra, morning harvest, 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The weather has kept me in low gear for awhile. I too went out yesterday and spent a half day catching up on my weeding and pruning. It really doesnt get much better than yesterday, as far as weather goes. I'll spend another few hours making some order of the chaos out there, just to go away for a few days ( to visit my daughter) and come back to a mess again.
First planting of cukes will get ripped up soon. Trying to contain my second planting. Already ripped up first planting of string beans. Second planting is producing already, 3rd planing flowering, and 4th planting just went in last week. Okra plants look healthy ( finally) after having a complete crop failure early on. Wasnt sure if Id have enough time to get them in, but this heat we recently had lit a fire under their butts, and they have been growing quickly. Great productive year for small tomatoes, bu the big ones have few fruit and few flowers. the fruit that is on there looks ok, just small amounts. Nott sure if it's the weather, or maybe the manure I spread last fall wasnt fully composted, and there was too much nitrogen. All the other plants ( beans, cukes...) are flowering fine, so im not sure that is the case.
Just harvested amaranth seeds. First time growing it. It was fun, but took labor to get all the seeds out of the flower clusters. They say you can pop them like pop corn ( which I picked last week also). Haven't tried it yet. Also got some mid season blueberries , which have a much more intense Blueberry flavor than the earlier varieties.

Attachments

• am 1.png
    am 1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • am 2 .png
    am 2 .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • am 3 .png
    am 3 .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • bb.png
    bb.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Our tomatoes are still all green. We harvested 16 6-inch yellow and green zucchini, which I shredded and they're in the dehydrator.
We have another almost 7 qts of raspberries in the freezer and I only need 6 more for another case of jam, woo hoo. We're saving little cucumbers for pickles in the drawer in the fridge.
What do you mean by a case of jam? I too am freezing raspberries for jam but my pectin recipe makes 6 half pints. What recipe do you use? Actually I am making a mixed berry jam; raspberries black and red, strawberries and service berries.

What do you mean by a case of jam? I too am freezing raspberries for jam but my pectin recipe makes 6 half pints. What recipe do you use? Actually I am making a mixed berry jam; raspberries black and red, strawberries and service berries.
a case of jam, 12 8-ounce canning jars. (which is 3 qts)
I collect 12 qts of fresh raspberries, rinse and freeze. Then thaw and heat, then blend with a hand blender, put through the oxo mill to remove the seeds. This gives me 6 qts of liquid/pulp. I start cooking it down slow in an electric roaster (6 qt), when it is slightly reduced, I'll add homemade pectin (about 1 qt). (Pectin made from simmering 2-3 lbs of green apples quartered in 3 qts of water, for 2 hours or so, then strain and bring the liquid down to about 1 qt worth.) Continue cooking down mixture in the roaster until it is one-half full, and add sugar to taste, which for us is 3 cups simmer that. Then can in 8 oz jar (x12) in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes boiling. If I start the pectin when I start cooking the berries, it all comes together about 6-8 hours later-takes all day to simmer down the volume to 3 qts. The puree/jam, mounds like this.
garlic-008.jpg

a case of jam, 12 8-ounce canning jars. (which is 3 qts)
I collect 12 qts of fresh raspberries, rinse and freeze. Then thaw and heat, then blend with a hand blender, put through the oxo mill to remove the seeds. This gives me 6 qts of liquid/pulp. I start cooking it down slow in an electric roaster (6 qt), when it is slightly reduced, I'll add homemade pectin (about 1 qt). (Pectin made from simmering 2-3 lbs of green apples quartered in 3 qts of water, for 2 hours or so, then strain and bring the liquid down to about 1 qt worth.) Continue cooking down mixture in the roaster until it is one-half full, and add sugar to taste, which for us is 3 cups simmer that. Then can in 8 oz jar (x12) in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes boiling. If I start the pectin when I start cooking the berries, it all comes together about 6-8 hours later-takes all day to simmer down the volume to 3 qts. The puree/jam, mounds like this.
garlic-008.jpg
Thanks!!

A few more peppers are ripening, especially those Arunas. I haven't picked any of those yet - I'll wait until about a third are ripe, then pick them. This should trigger more flowers. Here's a photo from the top, showing how there is not a single open blossom, while all those peppers getting ready to ripen are pretty much the same size - like a determinate tomato. I don't usually grow determinate tomato varieties, but but a bunch of the peppers are determinate.
Top view of Aruna pepper, showing not a single open blossom, but ready to ripen, 8-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Aruna peppers, starting to ripen. 8-02 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Datil has a number of yellow peppers now, but only one of the longer ones, about 2". This is another determinate, with no open blossoms.
Datil pepper, several starting to ripen, mostly smaller ones, but one large one. 8-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The first Maui Purple ripened today. The original Maui Purple that I grew long ago would usually not start ripening until late August or very early September, so this is early.
The first Maui Purple ripening. 8-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom