Green spots on potatoes in small amount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
hi
i've read in here that:
Tubers with a high concentration of solanine will taste bitter, and can be harmful if eaten in large quantities.
but from my experience, even a little bit of it will cause me stomach ache.

how would you explain it?

thank you

Not being facetious, but don't you think it is simply because you are very sensitive to it.

I also presume that you mean cooked potatoes. I used to love raw potatoes but found the gut ache after was a good sign to stop.

Last edited:
My mom told me to throw out potatoes with green points. She said that they are poisonous, and I do so all my live.

My mom told me to throw out potatoes with green points. She said that they are poisonous, and I do so all my live.

Hi juegagerman! Welcome to DC.
You don't need to throw them out. The green comes from the part of the potato exposed to light (sun). Yes, the green is toxic and bitter but the rest of the potato is not. When peeled the green is usually gone (at least I personally have never seen any under the skin). I know potatoes are relatively cheap but still - don't throw them away.

Seeing-to-b, I wasn't eating them whole. :LOL: sorry, just meant I would eat a sliver here and there while peeling or preparing. Turns out even that was enough to give me a great tummy ache. Several years later it turns out I had gall stones, but I've never had the nerve to nibble on them raw again.

Potatoes, cooked in any manner are great! Scalloped, salad - two of my favourites.

The Dragn is spot on - the green bits are from exposure. Just cut them off. You won´t get any serious illness from eating them, but they´re unpleasant, just like a bruise on a piece of fruit or a rotten piece of bell pepper.

I'm sensitive to solanine and when there are green spots on potatoes, I just cut them off, with a little extra, as a margin of safety. If I don't eat the skin and the approximately 1/8 of an inch closest to the skin, small amounts of potato don't bother me. I made the guess that most of the solanine was in and near the skin and in the green spots and it seems to be accurate.

This - "Solanine levels are highest in the skin of a potato. For this reason, peeling a green potato will help significantly reduce its levels.

Studies have estimated that peeling a potato at home removes at least 30% of its toxic plant compounds. However, that still leaves up to 70% of the compounds in the flesh (4Trusted Source).

This means that in potatoes with very high solanine concentrations, the peeled potato might still contain enough to make you sick.

Unfortunately, boiling and other cooking methods, including baking, microwaving or frying, do not significantly reduce solanine levels. Thus, they won’t make green potatoes any safer to eat (9).

If a potato has just a few small green spots, you can cut them out or peel the potato. Because solanine is also produced in higher concentrations around the eyes, or sprouts, of a potato, they should be removed as well.

However, if the potato is very green or tastes bitter (a sign of solanine), it’s best to throw it away (10)." from this - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/green-potatoes#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5. i was taugh to throw away potatoes thathad any green n them. As spuds aren't expensive, why take a chance?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom