HELP! missing ingredient...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
Here I am again with yet another problem. I'm visiting my grandkids and started to make a recipe for Brownie Pudding off of the internet. I checked to make sure that I had all the ingredients, and then started mixing the cake. Then I read in the instructions that you have to add the milk mixture....WHAT MILK! ?? There is no milk listed. Now I've already got ingredients mixed together up to that point and don't know what to do.

Can someone suggest what I should be adding now? I'll copy the recipe here:

Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
1 3/4 cups boiling water
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup all sweetened cocoa
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cocoa, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. In 2 cup measuring cup , combine milk, melted buter, and vanilla. With plastic or wooden spoon stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just blended. Pour into ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.
In small bowl, thoroughly combine sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa. Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Carefully pour 1 3/4 cups boiling water over mixture in dish; do not stir.
Bake 30 minutes.(Batter will separate into cake and pudding layers) Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Serve hot with whipped cream, if you like.

Do you have any evaporated milk in a can? If so, mix it half and half with water. That equals regular milk you buy to drink.

Since the milk is not mentioned, go back to where you got the recipe and look for any other recipes that are similar. See if they mention milk and how much. I took a look and most of the recipes I looked at called for milk from 1/3 cup all the way to 1/2 cup of milk. I think it was accidental that it is not listed in the ingredients. There were several recipes that didn't call for milk at all. You could compare your list of ingredients and see if your recipe is similar to some other one. There are plenty of recipes on the internet for brownie pudding. I would think the milk would be for the pudding that sits on the bottom below the brownie. :angel:

In a pinch you can get by with water and butter.

1 cup of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter for every cup of milk.

I think your recipe is already doing that, very confusing.

Take a look at this recipe.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=4761

Maybe a half cup of water and 1 tablespoon of melted butter added to your batter.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Do you have any evaporated milk in a can? If so, mix it half and half with water. That equals regular milk you buy to drink.

Since the milk is not mentioned, go back to where you got the recipe and look for any other recipes that are similar. See if they mention milk and how much. I took a look and most of the recipes I looked at called for milk from 1/3 cup all the way to 1/2 cup of milk. I think it was accidental that it is not listed in the ingredients. There were several recipes that didn't call for milk at all. You could compare your list of ingredients and see if your recipe is similar to some other one. There are plenty of recipes on the internet for brownie pudding. I would think the milk would be for the pudding that sits on the bottom below the brownie. :angel:

I was thinking evaporated milk as well Addie.You're so smart!
We keep a case around for emergencies.A can can came in handy just the other day.I needed heavy cream.Subbed the canned for it.Nobody found out.Guess it shows ya.What they don't know won't necessarily hurt them.

In a pinch you can get by with water and butter.

1 cup of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter for every cup of milk.

I think your recipe is already doing that, very confusing.

Take a look at this recipe.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=4761

Maybe a half cup of water and 1 tablespoon of melted butter added to your batter.

Good luck!

I just wanted to know how much milk I was suppose to use, since it hadn't mentioned it at all in the ingredients. Thanks.

I was thinking evaporated milk as well Addie.You're so smart!
We keep a case around for emergencies.A can can came in handy just the other day.I needed heavy cream.Subbed the canned for it.Nobody found out.Guess it shows ya.What they don't know won't necessarily hurt them.

My mother taught me all those tricks she learned during the depression. When I stopped nursing each baby, they went on canned milk with water and Karo syrup. I always have canned milk in the house. :angel:

She doesn't need a substitute she needs to know how much milk to use, since that *fact* was omitted from the recipe.

Not uncommon in recipes posted online.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom