Help understanding cookies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HealthyTreats

Assistant Cook
Feel free to skip this first paragraph if you don't care about back story:)

I've wanted to join a cooking forum for a long time, but just recently got the push I needed from getting completely stuck. My Dad, my sister, and I cannot have sugar or white flour. I've gotten really good at working without them in some common recipes, but one thing I REALLY miss is Oreos. They have a sugar free kind, but it's of course made with white flour, and also contains terrible toxic sweeteners. I really, really want to make them on my own, but the recipe I found on the food network was TERRIBLE. The chocolate wafers were a complete disaster.

Basically my problem is this. How do you make a crunchy wafer like cookie? The recipe I tried just tasted stale and awful. Not at all like the delicious wafers of an oreo cookie. Does anyone have a good recipe for this type of cookie? Or perhaps no the secret to getting extra crunch to a cookie?

Thank you!

-Wendy

You can get used to whole grains, speciallyif you don't eat anything else, but the fake sugars don't react well to heat. I don't know if you can get an Oreo cookies with your ... limitations.

Pure Stevia Extract powder (1.3 oz. - 990 servings) can be used in baking without worry about temperature. KAL brand is what I use exclusively. It has 0 carbs, 0 calories, and doesn't effect your blood sugar.

I would look into using almond flour for baking your wafers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!
I love stevia and it's one of my favorite sweeteners. For baking I usually use Xylitol, which is also natural with glycemic index of only 7, because it measures like sugar.

I'm really more wondering about a recipe for a really good crunchy cookie. It doesn't have to be without sugar or white flour. I can do that part myself. I just haven't been able to find a "wafer-like" recipe that works yet. Does anyone know one?

Back
Top Bottom