Homemade Chicken Broth, stored in freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi.
I have another chicken broth situation...
Broth was made in a pressure cooker. Put away in the freezer. No date on containers...
I think it may be 6 months old, mayvbe older. Is it safe to cook with? I understand flavor maybe be dulled and I am ok with it but unsafe? Please advise.
Thank you.

Thank you Andy!
I decided to use it. Brought it to a boiling point and let simmer for 3 minutes. I did not detect any off flavours. It was actually rather good.
That's what I would do, if I was worried. But, six months? Pshaw, I wouldn't give it a second thought unless the power had been out for a while or there were other technical issues. If was growing or starting to grow ice crystals, I would give it a good sniff once it warmed up.

That's what I would do, if I was worried. But, six months? Pshaw, I wouldn't give it a second thought unless the power had been out for a while or there were other technical issues. If was growing or starting to grow ice crystals, I would give it a good sniff once it warmed up.
That is the risk where I live. Power could have gone out while I wasn't home and I wouldn't even know it, but my present freezer holds the cold a long time at least.

That is the risk where I live. Power could have gone out while I wasn't home and I wouldn't even know it, but my present freezer holds the cold a long time at least.
I have heard a recommendation for when you will be away for a few days or more. Put a quarter on top of the ice in one cube of an ice cube tray. If the freezer holding the ice cube tray gets warmer than freezing, 0°C / 32°F, the ice melts and the quarter falls into the cube and when the water refreezes, it will be embedded in the ice cube.

I have heard a recommendation for when you will be away for a few days or more. Put a quarter on top of the ice in one cube of an ice cube tray. If the freezer holding the ice cube tray gets warmer than freezing, 0°C / 32°F, the ice melts and the quarter falls into the cube and when the water refreezes, it will be embedded in the ice cube.
Great suggestion!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom