How do you clean a crockpot without a removable crock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliev

Washing Up
My friend Christal just got a crockpot for her birthday....but, it's the kind that doesn't have a removable crock. What would be a good/easy way for her to wash it after making, let's say chili or beef stew? Mine has the removable crock for easy cleaning... so I don't know.

JulieV, I used first pour hot soapy water into the crockpot and let it sit for about an hour, depending on what I had in there. If it was something I could just wipe off, I didn't soak the pot. I then put the crockpot into the sink and dumped out the soapy water. I wiped the inside of the crockpot with a scouring pad. I carefully poured hot water into the crockpot making sure not to get the plug part of the pot into any water. I just kept wiping and pouring a little water in until I got my crockpot clean. As long as your friend is careful and doesn't get any water at the base of the pot or on the plug your friend should have no problem.

ty cookienut. I guess that was basically common sense.. but I didn't want to tell her a certain way, when I have never had one like that. I would never have one that didn't have a removable crock.. that would be a pain!

Hi, I know what you mean. I had bought mine I don't know how many years ago, I finally parted with it two years ago and now only have the ones with the removeable pots. They are so much easier.

I think the key to avoid getting water into the workings of the crock pot is to minimize the amount of exposure to water.

The best way to do that is to make sure the liner is easily cleaned. I would suggest she fill the pot with hot soapy water and let it sit overnight. This will loosen any baked on food.

Dump this water out, propping the pot on the counter over the sink and using a scrubbie or dishrag, wipe out the liner until all the food is rinsed out.

Dip a dishrag or scrubbie in soapy water and scrub the liner, allowing the soapy suds to drip out of the pot into the sink.

Once clean, rinse and drain.

A little water dripped on the outside or even into the electrical parts will not cause any harm so long as the pot isn't plugged in until all the water has evaporated. Obviously, the less water that's accidentaly dripped the better.

When she's washing the crock pot, tell her to make sure the control knob and the place where the wire goes in is NOT at the bottom when she has the crockpot on it's side while washing or draining.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom