How Many Small Kitchen Appliances Do You Own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Many Small Kitchen Appliances Do You Own?

• 1-3

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 3-5

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 5-7

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters
I have fewer and fewer as time passes. If it hasn't been used in a year - it's history. In the last 2 years I've gotten rid of a slow cooker, pressure cooker, toaster oven, blender and a couple of other items.

here's what remains:

Rice cooker
Mixer
Immersion blender
Robot coupe
Microwave
Toaster
Waffle iron that has reversible plates to turn into griddle - this last one may be on the chopping block next year as we rarely make waffles.

IMO a good stove and a good chefs knife are the best tools in the kitchen.

Last edited:
I also agree completely with Janet -

but all those other goodies are what make for a lot of fun! :angel:

I agree and over the years have had a slew of them but... I find that I use them very little after initial romance and purchase. They take up space and I end up moving them around and dusting them but rarely using them. My current romance is a Breville Pie maker and I'm trying to resist. I make pies in the oven - often and at Thanksgiving made a bunch of pot pies with the left overs - in the oven. Seemed to work well... but the temptation is strong. :ermm:

I know, after reading about that pie maker... I am sorely tempted! For me it might be good, being alone, but.... there is always that damn but!

laughs and giggles .jpg

IMO a good stove and a good chefs knife are the best tools in the kitchen.

Well put, Janet! But a good stove is not very useful without good pots to go on it!

I am lucky there wasn't an Amazon back when I was stocking my kitchen! Back then, there was nowhere around here in Philly or the suburbs to buy good kitchenware, so every 6 or 8 months I would take a trip to NYC, and come back with a carload of kitchenware, and a little food! Not too many electric appliances, but countless other things. If amazon was around then, I don't know if there would have been room in my dining room for guests! :ohmy:

1Pie day? Pie day? wwah? what? ohboy! ohboy! yes, please...

Attachments

• say what.png
    say what.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 73
  • I'll be right there.png
    I'll be right there.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Please please.jpg
    Please please.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 81
So I take it that you aren't a big fan of Fantes? We've been there twice, and we don't live anywhere near the place.
Back in the time I'm talking about - late 70s and early to mid 80s - Fante's and other places around town really didn't have that much. Reading market was also nothing like today. Nothing like the Bridge Kitchenware and Broadway Panhandler, plus all those ethic shops all over NYC. About this time was when public interest in cooking really spiked, and stores specializing in kitchenware started opening all over, at least around here, where population was also spiking in the suburbs (farmlands converting to higher priced real estate!). But the prices I got at some of those places was lower than one store owner down here (a guy I became friends with after a while) told me he could get them for! Often they were from stores in the restaurant district, that had signs "wholesale only", but when you pay cash, you don't need an account!

Chinatown in Philly back then had only 3 main stores I could get supplies from back then, but some things were unavailable. In NYC, I could find anything, and I remember one store that specialized in teas, and anything dried - hundreds of glass containers of every kind of dried seafood, fruit, or vegetable that is used in Chinese cooking as well as medicine, I'm sure! About 1989 was the last time I made a "regular trip" to NYC for food items (a few kitchen items the last few times, but I was pretty loaded by then!), as the Asian markets had opened in Philly, down near the Italian market, and most food was available locally, plus a good spice shop in the Italian market I got super fresh spices from, and there were mail order places, like Penzey's, that had some unusual spices, and also super fresh. It was a couple years before I found a place in Avondale, PA, with Mexican! Not real close, but a friend and I would make it a long trip - first to Kennett Square, for mushrooms, Avondale, then Lancaster for That Pet Place - back then, the largest aquarium store on the east coast. Before, Casa Moneo in NYC was the ONLY place I could find Mexican ingredients. Now, there is a Mexican grocery/restaurant right here in town - the guy that I share my excess Mexican harvests with! Incredible how times change.

Well put, Janet! But a good stove is not very useful without good pots to go on it!

You are right... and I guess I take this for granted. Back in the 80's I lived very near to the AllClad factory in PA. Once a year they threw open their production facility for a giant seconds sale. Pallets of pots, pans and lids in all sizes and finishes with tiny imperfections could be purchased (cash only) for pennies on the dollar. For several years I went and stood in line at 6 am with local chefs to pick over the pile and leave with a wagon full of awesome cookware. 35 years later they're still good as new, despite daily use and abuse.

I went waaaay overboard at those sales. My favorite purchases were:

• 2 saucepans that had no handles - perfect dog dishes for food and water.
  • A stock pot big enough to take a bath in that will steam 12 big artichokes in 2 layers - holds about 6 gallons. I remember the price on this one - $4.00. The reason it was a second was that the logo stamp was crooked and not evenly burned in.

You are right... and I guess I take this for granted. Back in the 80's I lived very near to the AllClad factory in PA. Once a year they threw open their production facility for a giant seconds sale. Pallets of pots, pans and lids in all sizes and finishes with tiny imperfections could be purchased (cash only) for pennies on the dollar. For several years I went and stood in line at 6 am with local chefs to pick over the pile and leave with a wagon full of awesome cookware. 35 years later they're still good as new, despite daily use and abuse.

I went waaaay overboard at those sales. My favorite purchases were:

• 2 saucepans that had no handles - perfect dog dishes for food and water.
  • A stock pot big enough to take a bath in that will steam 12 big artichokes in 2 layers - holds about 6 gallons. I remember the price on this one - $4.00. The reason it was a second was that the logo stamp was crooked and not evenly burned in.

I got my Le Crueset 7.25-qt. French oven as a factory second. One of the outlet malls had a Le Crueset store and I got the pot for less than half price.

I got my Le Crueset 7.25-qt. French oven as a factory second. One of the outlet malls had a Le Crueset store and I got the pot for less than half price.
I got my first Le Creuset French oven ;) for more than half off at an outlet store because it was a floor model. It had some scratches on the bottom. More recently, I've bought Le Creuset from eBay - brand new for less than half of the retail price.

Back
Top Bottom