How many use Nukers & how

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK...on the popcorn thing...doesn't anyone use a hot air popper anymore? I find it better tasting and way easier than the pot method. But then I am essentially lazy. Could someone explain the Alton Brown paper bag method please? I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Is there any actual EVIDENCE for the contention that microwaves destroy 97% of vegetable nutrients?

If so, where is it?

I know people who probably nuke 90% of what they eat and they sure look healthy to me and they sure as heck don't seem to be affected when they play tennis.

I use the micro extensively every morning for my Taster's Choice instant coffee fix. Other than that, I occasionally use it for re-heating. I like my veggies raw or just slightly steamed over water on the stove.

Alix said:
Could someone explain the Alton Brown paper bag method please? I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Take a brown paper lunch bag and pour in enough popcorn kernels to cover the bottom of the bag in a single layer. Fold the top of the bag closed and use two (not one and not three, but two) staples to secure the bag. Before you close it you can put a little oil in if you want and any other flavorings that you may want. You can also add the flavorings after it is popped, but I usually do it before. Some of my favorite things to add are Tabasco sauce or chili powder, or just salt. I don't usually even bother using any oil. I find it completely unnecessary. Put the bag in the microwave and turn it on full power. I usually set mine for 4 minutes, but it is usually done after about 2 and a half to three minutes. Let it pop until you hear the popping slow down. Once it is just a pop or two every second or so then you are done. If you smell it starting to burn then shut it off right away and it will still probably be salvageable.

Oh GB, I think you are my new best friend. I am a complete popcorn addict, and since the kitchen has been under construction everytime we try to use the hot air popper I trip the circuits because we have so many appliances working in the small area left to me. I am having popcorn for my breakfast! WOOHOO! And yes I mean breakfast at 2:40pm...I did a night shift last night and just hauled my sorry butt out of bed.

Oh I am so happy that you will get some use out of this Alex!!! It is such an easy way to make a yummy snack :D

Can you hear the happy sound of popping GB....or are the sounds of my drooling and my moans of ecstatic anticipation drowning it out? Pop...Pop...Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

MW aka Nuker

bege said:
Did you do any research on that? Or did you just take Sara's word for it. I think I would want to see who and where that came from. The way our grandmothers cooked them, I can understand. In water until they were soft, soft, soft. They always said the nutrients ended up in the water. 97% loss is hard to swallow, for the MW.

If you did the research, please let me know where it came from so I can read it. I love my veggies in the nuker. Little water, butter and salt and pepper, and not over cooked.

I can understand why we shouldn't use plastic containers in the nuke. Many plastics are made from petroleum products, aren't they?

It was a guest on Sara's show who is a professional nutritionist and has out a couple of cook books but I do not remember her name. So it was not Sara, it was her guest, although I do not think Sara owns a MW. They have always been somewhat controversial and I have heard that when the get a few years old they should be checks for leaks, which can be dangerous to humans, according to the book that came with the one I used to have. This is a personal thing. I did have one and did not use it often (I do not eat leftovers and I do not like meat when cooked in them so I rarely used mine) so it was not a loss to me. My best girlfriend uses hers 80% of the time to cook and so does my daughter who would not eat if she had to use a pot on the stove top. I normally use my grill, cast iron skillet and my toaster oven. If I see the show again I will make a note of the guests name and her cookbook.

purrfectlydevine said:
I did some research because things like this bug me. Microwaves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum that's all around us all the time. Microwave ovens were invented in 1945. Not that it's important, but I feel better! I use my microwave for reheating leftovers, heating water, making popcorn, that sort of thing.

I also did research on norgeskog's post about the raw veggies being more nutritious due to nutrient loss that occurs because of cooking. I offer this excerpt as a springboard for discussion.

Don Matesz, MA, CH, CNC
Outline of a Produce-Dominated Diet and Why We Need to Cook Vegetables

What about cooking? Westerners commonly believe raw vegetables are more nutritious than cooked, but Chinese nutrition has long stated the opposite. Who's right?
All of the nutrients in vegetables are locked inside cells composed of fibers. These cells are not opened by chewing, no matter how vigorous, and unlike apes and other herbivores, humans have no enzymes or special gut chambers (e.g., multiple stomachs, enlarged colons) with resident symbiotic protozoa or bacteria for digesting fibers. Consequently, we really can't access the nutrients in raw plant food.
Cooking explodes plant cells, releasing their nutrients. Even though cooking may destroy some nutrients, studies have shown that we absorb more total nutrients from cooked vegetables. We absorb only 1 percent of carotene from raw carrots, but 5 percent to 19 percent from cooked carrots. The softer the texture, the better the absorption. (Similar considerations apply to meat.)

Perfectlydevine you post a very valid point of view, thanks for informing us. However, I know when I did boil broccli the water was green and it was dumped. I do not know the cause of the green water except that a green vegie was cooked in it. But I do like the taste of most of them raw rather than cooked. With the way things go, we will probably find out that toaster ovens are bad, or cast iron skillets. It also sounds logical that cooked vegies would be easier on the stomach to digest. Anyone out there an expert???

norgeskog said:
... I know when I did boil broccli the water was green and it was dumped.
I used to make my mom save the water the veggies were cooked in then I would drink it. Was I the only one who did this as a kid or am I just weird :shock:

I have sent an e-mail to Sara at her web site inquiring who the lady was, the date of the show and the name of her cookbook. When I get a response I will post it here. It would be nice to have this settled. I may be kicking my self in the back side cause I got rid of the nuker.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

GB said:
I use mine for certain things. The most use it gets is for reheating leftovers. I also find that is does a great job of melting butter and chocolate. I use it to heat, or boil water if it is just for a cup or two. Just this year I have started using it for popcorn too. I use Alton Browns brown paper bag method. It is the easiest, best way to have popcorn IMO.

I remember hearing that thing about microwave ovens killing 97% of their nutrients. It was on the news about a month or two ago. It was the last story on the 11:00 news. They did not get into any details or mention any study. I would love to find out if there really was one.

Right now I don't care what their study says. I use my microwave for the things listed above.

I bet in a few years, they will be saying that microwaving is healthier than any other cooking method!

Gee, no one ever seems to have a source for their facts. Anyone know anything about what nutrition is lost with which heat source? With attribution?

WE all say nuke to refer to microwave ovens, but there's no nuclear energy involved and we all know that, don't we?

A microwave oven is a great convenience, and most kitchens wouldn't do without one, even some commercial ones that claim they do.

I could not live without my Microwave. However I usually use it to thaw meats out and heat leftovers. I have cooked sausage and hamburgers in it. My Dad actually cooked a turkey in his and it came out pretty good.

I guess I opened a can of worms. So, I went to Google and entered Microwave Oven Dangers and got quite a response and scanned over the first 4 or 5. Then to be fair, I went back to Google and entered Microwave Hazards and Microwave Myths (sesparately) and scanned some of them. Another informative response. I guess we all will do what we will do. I do not plan to replace the microwave I tossed six months ago.

If anyone does this and reads both sides, did the articles change your opinion regarding microwave cooking?

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

When I first started this about a nuker, I quoted a chef who was on Sara's Secrets who compared the nutrients gained from eating vegetables raw, steamed, boiled and nuked. Some questioned the validity of the statement. I finally found who it was. The guest was Anna Thomas and her cookbook is The New Vegatarian Epicure. The show aired on August 19 and 26 and was named More Meatless Menus. It featured stuffed artichokes, polents with leeks and gorgonzola, and pink grapefruit sorbet. There was no record there of the conversations, just the menu and recipes. The book is avilable at Borders and amazon.com. I will look at the book when I am next in Borders. I am just following up as I said I would.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS = GET ARIZONA STATE :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom