What amount of spice to use instead of raw veg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
for instance in one recipe it calls for one fourth cup coriander. What amount of powdered coriander would I use instead of the raw veg? One fourth teaspoon? You get my point.

Coriander leaf and coriander seeds are totally different.
You cannot replace one with the other (without getting a totally different product).

You could change out coriander leaf for mint or thai basil.
It will be different, but OK

We call coriander leaf= cilantro. Fresh cilantro has a particular flavor some love and some hate. I use it when I have fresh growing.
Although there is dried cilantro leaf available I've never found it to have the fresh taste of cilantro. If I have a recipe calling for fresh cilantro and I don't have it on hand I chop fresh parsley and use that instead. (like when I make salsa)
If you are going to play around with dry ground cilantro, then start with a small amount, like a teaspoon at first, add it to your recipe and see how you like it, or if you want more of that flavor or not.

Then the seeds of cilantro, they can be used whole or ground. They have a lovely citrus-y flavor. It is kind of strong so start small when using it to see if you like it.

As others have mentioned, cilantro is the leaves of the coriander plant. The spice called coriander is the seeds. I hate cilantro, also called coriander greens. I really, really like ground coriander seeds.

As others have mentioned, cilantro is the leaves of the coriander plant. The spice called coriander is the seeds. I hate cilantro, also called coriander greens. I really, really like ground coriander seeds.
What i would like to know is if there is a formula of some sort that applies generally like half cup of onion is equal to a tablespoon of onion powder(example)

What i would like to know is if there is a formula of some sort that applies generally like half cup of onion is equal to a tablespoon of onion powder(example)
For herbs, and onions don't count as herbs, I'm pretty sure that the general rule is for every tablespoon of fresh herbs, use one teaspoon of dried. That would be three parts fresh to one part dried.

Last edited:
If you don't like cilantro because you're one of the 14% of the population who are cursed by it tasting like soap, try epizote instead. It doesn't taste like soap. It does taste kind of like jet fuel.

If you don't like cilantro because you're one of the 14% of the population who are cursed by it tasting like soap, try epizote instead. It doesn't taste like soap. It does taste kind of like jet fuel.
Raw coriander greens/cilantro does not taste like soap to me. It just tastes horrible. There are other kinds of horrible tastes other than soap.

I love coriander (what you'all call cilantro). You can replace with sawtooth herb as well.

Fresh vs dried
3 to 1 sounds about right, but remember some herbs dry well, some get tasteless.
Good (in my opinion): rosemary, oregano, sage, marjoram
Poor: chives, parsley

I love coriander (what you'all call cilantro). You can replace with sawtooth herb as well.

Fresh vs dried
3 to 1 sounds about right, but remember some herbs dry well, some get tasteless.
Good (in my opinion): rosemary, oregano, sage, marjoram
Poor: chives, parsley
As a general guide, woody herbs like rosemary and sage hold on to their flavorful essential oils after drying much better than tender herbs like parsley and chives.

For herbs, and onions don't count as herbs, I'm pretty sure that the general rule is for every tablespoon of fresh herbs, use one teaspoon of dried. That would be three parts fresh to one part dried.
weigh it....then halve it to account for the water if fresh leaves.

weigh it....then halve it to account for the water if fresh leaves.
I might try that out. I have a scale that is probably accurate to the gram. I doubt that I can get a very accurate weight on that scale for one tablespoon of most dried herbs.

The thing I always wondered about with that 3 to 1 rule of thumb is how much flavour do most dried herbs lose. I think it varies a fair amount. I have had some dried parsley. I tasted it. I didn't use it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom