How much to you worry about what you eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, nutrition is not very well understood, that for sure.

The big problem that most 1st world Countries are now experiencing is the proliferation of Ultra Processed Foods in the diet and a direct causation of the increases in non communicable diseases like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, obesity, fatty liver, now a serious problem with children, some cancers, metabolic disease and much of this associated with diet but also other lifestyle factors like lack of exercise, smoking, drinking etc.

Since we're talking about food then the mechanism of these non communicable diseases for the most part is inflammation due to impaired glucose tolerance which translates to a carbohydrate intolerance that is generated over the decades and eventually it catches up to most of us, me included. UPF's are the problem which for the most part are refined grains, sugar, seed oils, salt, corn, textured soy and for sure some meat and dairy products but most are plant based with over 50% of all UPF's with added sugars and 89% of UPF have mostly refined carbohydrates as their main source in them. So basically increasing fruit and vegetables are displacing some UPF's we're eating and feeling healthier, which is a good thing. Anytime we consume more whole foods we have healthier populations, generally speaking.

But we are omnivores and not herbivores and in my world nothing wrong with animal protein and in reality and scientifically it's the better choice and should be a macronutrient that gets the most attention considering what protein accomplishes within the body as opposed to our fuel sources which are carbohydrates and fats, and of course fats also have a few essential nutrients that the body can't manufacture itself.

Most people and authorities look at a diet's macronutrients on a percentage basis, they all do for the most part but that is not the best course of action with protein. Proteins are the building blocks and are required for some pretty important tasks like maintenance and growth, hormonal function, enzymatic reactions, immune response, structural support, pH and fluid balance and on and on. Basically protein intake should always represent a number in grams that reflects the lean mass of the individual and not total weight, fat doesn't require protein to exist. It's also well know within the circle of Protein researchers and scientists that the RDA is about half of what we should be consuming and becomes extremely more important as we age with sarcopenia a huge mortality problem with older people. :)

Last edited:
Well, had to look up 'sarcopenia'. Knew about the condition but did not know the name. Thank you picton - that is my problem and I'm trying to address it. Have been going to the Y and alternating between the machines and swimming, all the while trying not to aggravate torn shoulders, etc.
Diet is still a big problem though, not an easy change by any stretch of the imagination.
So I read labels all the time now - and it's a crap shoot if I follow the rules or not.

Well, had to look up 'sarcopenia'. Knew about the condition but did not know the name. Thank you picton - that is my problem and I'm trying to address it. Have been going to the Y and alternating between the machines and swimming, all the while trying not to aggravate torn shoulders, etc.
Diet is still a big problem though, not an easy change by any stretch of the imagination.
So I read labels all the time now - and it's a crap shoot if I follow the rules or not.
It's a really big problem for us old people and the main reason is it requires some pretty serious modifications to many peoples lifestyles that include not only what we eat but even the movements of our bodies to improve or minimize the situation and both are extremely difficult to modify mostly because of habit and the feeling of familiarity, it's comforting and lets face it, people don't like change or being told they have to.

As an example, and it's been a saying from as long as I can remember and that is "eat your fruits and vegetables" and people know it good for their health, or they've been told it's good for our health. Yet consumption of fruit and vegetables is pretty much stagnant except with a couple of small periods of an increase but for the most part no real increase in fruit and veg has happened in the last 50 years.

This fact is linked with the increase in UPF"s over that same time frame, in my opinion. I mean who is going to want to consume broccoli or asparagus when we have fries, cookies, cakes and fruity pebbles. :-p

Anyway, sarcopenia, yeah it's something that is very difficult to overcome for those reason and many many other personal reasons but there is something that can be done and it works.

Maintain a protein intake that is equal to at least 0.7 to 1.0 gram of protein per lb of lean mass, basically everything that isn't fat and if someones overweight or obese for example then adjust it to a goal or desired weight. Animal protein is preferred and used by the body far easier but if a person is vegetarian or vegan then that number will have to be increased by 1/3 at least and would be a good starting point imo.

Regular exercise is essential and more specifically weight bearing exercise in a situation where weights are increased to facilitate muscle growth and that's called progressive overload. Starting with a weight or resistance level that allows you to perform 8-12 repetitions with good form at least twice a week 3 is better with last rep challenging but doable. Gradually increase the resistance or weight as your strength improves then allow about 48 hours for a particular muscle group to repair and grow. Rinse and repeat. Anything is better than nothing or how little the weight is or when beginning, these will get better and so will a persons health. I mean literally the simply act of not being able to stop a fall with a simple stumble fwd is all it takes to change the rest of a persons life and when were 70 and up that generally means bed ridden from broken bones and an increase in sedentary behavior, the one thing that happens to facilitate sarcopenia in a big way. Do your best dragnlaw it does make a huge difference. :)

Last edited:
It's a really big problem for us old people and the main reason is it requires some pretty serious modifications to many peoples lifestyles that include not only what we eat but even the movements of our bodies to improve or minimize the situation and both are extremely difficult to modify mostly because of habit and the feeling of familiarity, it's comforting and lets face it, people don't like change or being told they have to.

As an example, and it's been a saying from as long as I can remember and that is "eat your fruits and vegetables" and people know it good for their health, or they've been told it's good for our health. Yet consumption of fruit and vegetables is pretty much stagnant except with a couple of small periods of an increase but for the most part no real increase in fruit and veg has happened in the last 50 years.

This fact is linked with the increase in UPF"s over that same time frame, in my opinion. I mean who is going to want to consume broccoli or asparagus when we have fries, cookies, cakes and fruity pebbles. :-p

Anyway, sarcopenia, yeah it's something that is very difficult to overcome for those reason and many many other personal reasons but there is something that can be done and it works.

Maintain a protein intake that is equal to at least 0.7 to 1.0 gram of protein per lb of lean mass, basically everything that isn't fat and if someones overweight or obese for example then adjust it to a goal or desired weight. Animal protein is preferred and used by the body far easier but if a person is vegetarian or vegan then that number will have to be increased by 1/3 at least and would be a good starting point imo.

Regular exercise is essential and more specifically weight bearing exercise in a situation where weights are increased to facilitate muscle growth and that's called progressive overload. Starting with a weight or resistance level that allows you to perform 8-12 repetitions with good form at least twice a week 3 is better with last rep challenging but doable. Gradually increase the resistance or weight as your strength improves then allow about 48 hours for a particular muscle group to repair and grow. Rinse and repeat. Anything is better than nothing or how little the weight is or when beginning, these will get better and so will a persons health. I mean literally the simply act of not being able to stop a fall with a simple stumble fwd is all it takes to change the rest of a persons life and when were 70 and up that generally means bed ridden from broken bones and an increase in sedentary behavior, the one thing that happens to facilitate sarcopenia in a big way. Do your best dragnlaw it does make a huge difference. :)
Thank you for reminding me. I already knew that, but theoretical knowledge won't make the changes without actually doing it. Now that the weather is pleasant, I really have to get started on a regular walking regime that can be increased as my strength increases.

I think I get enough protein, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to actually calculate that some time. I just still have so much danged practical stuff to do with becoming a widow last month.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss taxlady and yeah do what you can at the moment. Walking as an exercise is so undervalued and so basic to whom we are as a species and any is better than none or very little. Yeah almost everyone is not eating enough protein and I suspect if you check it won't be anywhere near 0.7-1.0 per lb of lean mass, i know I had to make adjustments way back when and I like to eat proteins. :)

Last edited:
So, the protein would be about 1.5 -2.2 grams per kg. I don't weigh myself in pounds. There's virtually no emotional baggage for me with kgs for body weight. ;)

Does anyone know a free app or website that will let me easily calculate the protein, minerals, etc. in food? I seem to remember that Ross (I can't remember how to spell his user name, Just Cooking or something like that) used to have something he used to calculate that stuff. Might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure someone here did.

On the farm it was starting to be a downhill trend, but once moved I just fell to the bottom of the cliff. So now it's a struggle to cliimb back up - the hardest part is doing it slow enough to not hurt or tear things already torn... LOL at 79 - believe me it's a big struggle with one of the hardest parts is will power!

So, the protein would be about 1.5 -2.2 grams per kg. I don't weigh myself in pounds. There's virtually no emotional baggage for me with kgs for body weight. ;)

Does anyone know a free app or website that will let me easily calculate the protein, minerals, etc. in food? I seem to remember that Ross (I can't remember how to spell his user name, Just Cooking or something like that) used to have something he used to calculate that stuff. Might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure someone here did.
That's pretty good then taxlady.

For example the RDA for protein for the average person is 0.8 and your getting double that. 1.4-2.0 intake supports a positive protein balance necessary for building and maintaining muscle mass and higher depending on the person and their lifestyle and why protein is vital for sarcopenia and older people need more protein anyway, so that's good and if the source of that protein is optimal as well.

Last edited:
What is impossible for a person, who is set in 79 years of routine and mathematically challenged, is when one reads " protein intake that is equal to at least 0.7 to 1.0 gram of protein per lb of lean mass"
So tell me, does that mean one hamburger or steak per pound of my body weight, if one could somehow subtract the bodies fat weight??

I seriously thought about getting up off the tummy cruncher machine at the Y and taping the mouths shut of 2 young kids crashing the weights on the machine next to me while they discussed how much they increased this and lowered that but knew the X would increase over the summer and were ready to change the WYX for 3 months and then do a GKL for 2 weeks but increase the TBPD for a month before.

Seriously???

I'm not trying to be deliberately facetious but truly that is what the gobbledy-gook sounds like to me.

Don't worry about it dragnlaw just do what you can. Like I said nutrition is complicated and if a person at 79 has no knowledge of nutrition and lets face it most people don't, the chances this makes sense or even doable is monumental. I would suggest that you try and eat more protein and be more active, however that translates to you. Of course you can always begin to do some research to become familiar with the basics and maybe that might answer a few questions for you. I can only hope I make it to 79, 8 more years to go. :)

LOL, picton, I've always been a true believer in eat moderately with lots of variety. I think I've eaten pretty well over the years. Gone thru many phases but never "dieted" and over the decades the lbs have come on little by little - till suddenly you say "oh sh**!" Always been active - just the last 5 years which is more than enough for muscle collapse to set in. Can I reverse it? Maybe, certainly won't be from lack of trying.

The only processed foods I eat regularly are potato chips.

We eat out of our garden all year long. Just finished up the peas and green beans from last summer.

We eat fish very often and beans of any sort make a meal for me.

But BUTTER! That makes my world go round. The Food Network show with Ludo baking in Paris with butter that’s on now makes me want to get on a plane!

That's pretty good then taxlady.

For example the RDA for protein for the average person is 0.8 and your getting double that. 1.4-2.0 intake supports a positive protein balance necessary for building and maintaining muscle mass and higher depending on the person and their lifestyle and why protein is vital for sarcopenia and older people need more protein anyway, so that's good and if the source of that protein is optimal as well.
No, no, no. That's not how much protein that I get. That was my calculation of how much per kg of lean body weight. Right now, I think I'm mostly lean body weight. I haven't weighed as little as I do now since I was in my early 20s. I need an easy way to calculate how much protein I'm getting. I wouldn't mind calculating the calcium at the same time.

No, no, no. That's not how much protein that I get. That was my calculation of how much per kg of lean body weight. Right now, I think I'm mostly lean body weight. I haven't weighed as little as I do now since I was in my early 20s. I need an easy way to calculate how much protein I'm getting. I wouldn't mind calculating the calcium at the same time.
I just checked the Health Canada site's reference charts. It seems to say that for a 70+ year old female, the RDA for protein is 0.8 grams of protein / kg /day.

Woohoo! I got more than that in just the meat, cream, and cheese part of my supper yesterday. There has to have been some more in the brown rice and sliced almonds.

So let me get this straight... if someone weighs say... 60 k. they would need 48 gr of protein per day. And someone 86 k would need (86 x .8=) 68.8 gr of protein per day. Right?
So that person could eat 3 chicken thighs at approx. 27 gr ea. and have almost their total requirement of protein - to keep their muscles in good health - if they are active. yeah?

further... extra carbs and calories are detrimental but are extra proteins?

jennyema, hmmmmm YEP! BUTTER! on popcorn, no other flavours pls and if the butter is salted - no need for extra! BUTTER on fresh bread. BUTTER on frying eggs. BUTTER on corn on the cob and any other vegie you can think of! BUTTER, BUTTER, BUTTER....

And this is why I shall become a "lipid-legger" if we ever have government-enforced health mandates.

"Yeah, I got it. Whole fat cheeses....er, what? Butter! Oh yes, I have butter. Salted, unsalted, organic, whipped, European-style, and....what? Plant-based.....or low...fat........erm....the Stuffer Shack sells both."

OGC.c8c5640344094210aaef936c005ebd50

Back
Top Bottom