How much to you worry about what you eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, nutrition is not very well understood, that for sure.

The big problem that most 1st world Countries are now experiencing is the proliferation of Ultra Processed Foods in the diet and a direct causation of the increases in non communicable diseases like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, obesity, fatty liver, now a serious problem with children, some cancers, metabolic disease and much of this associated with diet but also other lifestyle factors like lack of exercise, smoking, drinking etc.

Since we're talking about food then the mechanism of these non communicable diseases for the most part is inflammation due to impaired glucose tolerance which translates to a carbohydrate intolerance that is generated over the decades and eventually it catches up to most of us, me included. UPF's are the problem which for the most part are refined grains, sugar, seed oils, salt, corn, textured soy and for sure some meat and dairy products but most are plant based with over 50% of all UPF's with added sugars and 89% of UPF have mostly refined carbohydrates as their main source in them. So basically increasing fruit and vegetables are displacing some UPF's we're eating and feeling healthier, which is a good thing. Anytime we consume more whole foods we have healthier populations, generally speaking.

But we are omnivores and not herbivores and in my world nothing wrong with animal protein and in reality and scientifically it's the better choice and should be a macronutrient that gets the most attention considering what protein accomplishes within the body as opposed to our fuel sources which are carbohydrates and fats, and of course fats also have a few essential nutrients that the body can't manufacture itself.

Most people and authorities look at a diet's macronutrients on a percentage basis, they all do for the most part but that is not the best course of action with protein. Proteins are the building blocks and are required for some pretty important tasks like maintenance and growth, hormonal function, enzymatic reactions, immune response, structural support, pH and fluid balance and on and on. Basically protein intake should always represent a number in grams that reflects the lean mass of the individual and not total weight, fat doesn't require protein to exist. It's also well know within the circle of Protein researchers and scientists that the RDA is about half of what we should be consuming and becomes extremely more important as we age with sarcopenia a huge mortality problem with older people. :)

1717029019480.png

CD :ROFLMAO:

My preferred source for nutritional information comes from the American Dietetics Association, the folks responsible for monitoring the education and credentialing of Registered Dietitians.

Back when I was in school in the 1980's, most Americans took in more protein than their bodies needed. Don't remember the calculations now, but it was about 6 ounces of protein a day for an 1800 Kcal intake.

Thanks CD, I have found this thread very interesting!

So let me get this straight... if someone weighs say... 60 k. they would need 48 gr of protein per day. And someone 86 k would need (86 x .8=) 68.8 gr of protein per day. Right?
So that person could eat 3 chicken thighs at approx. 27 gr ea. and have almost their total requirement of protein - to keep their muscles in good health - if they are active. yeah?

further... extra carbs and calories are detrimental but are extra proteins?
Yes according to the RDA, but that specific value is aimed at preventing nutrient deficiency and is a minimal amount that is needed for healthy individuals to meet their daily requirements and they're only responsible for ensuring these minimal requirements for 97 to 98% of the population which is set by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Which leaves as much as 3% of the population nutritionally deficient which translates into just over 10 million people in the USA who are not meeting their nutritional needs in general and that includes their protein needs, that's not chicken scratch.

The vast majority of PhD scientists that specialize in protein and human biology will tell us that's too low and most literature shows that needs to be increased and most seem to agree that the 0.8 needs to be increased anywhere around 1.5g's for overall body requirements and to ensure muscle protein sythesis to stave off muscle atrophy and maintain or build muscle depending on the individual needs and lifestyle. These are general guidelines, and individual protein needs can vary based on factors such as age, sex, physical activity level, and overall health so there is a lot of nuance and it's not just cut and dry, but this is what I and many others believe is a decent course of action for older people, especially females who by default need more protein than men. :)

Last edited:
Funny what you find in a health and nutrition forum, although it does make some people's eyes roll back in their heads, lol.

I just get a chuckle about forum thread evolution, like when a thread starts with a simple question, and before long, it is a deep discussion that is inspired by the OP, but yet "off the rails."

Imagine a thread that starts with the question, "Do you ever lose your car keys?" Then, by page two, it is a deep discussion on dementia and Alzheimers. :ohmy:

That seems to be the nature of forum threads. ;)

CD

There two parts to that question for me.
First, I keep Kosher, so there goes 10. Everything must be kosher, cooked in not just a simply kosher home, but home that keeps Shabbat.
Second health. I am diabetic and supposed to watch what I eat, and I am ashamed to say, I do not. I am very picky eater and I have to have things/foods that I like, otherwise I will not eat. Unfortunately things I like are not healthy. Like right now, for example, I have a bottle of Mello Yello, sugar content 77g. Shame on me:glare:

First, I keep Kosher, so there goes 10. Everything must be kosher, cooked in not just a simply kosher home, but home that keeps Shabbat.

Well, you would go hungry in my home. Not because I wouldn't be happy to feed you, but...

CD

Last edited:
Well, you would go hungry in my home. Not because I wouldn't be happy to feed you, but...

CD
I'd never go hungry pretty much in any household today. Unless somebody purposely trays and makes point of Not buying something kosher. In todays market there is so much kosher stuff , people simple do not know, or do not pay attention. Nut I bet if you go to your pantry now, you'll find a bunch of different store bought products that are in fact kosher.

I'd never go hungry pretty much in any household today. Unless somebody purposely trays and makes point of Not buying something kosher. In todays market there is so much kosher stuff , people simple do not know, or do not pay attention. Nut I bet if you go to your pantry now, you'll find a bunch of different store bought products that are in fact kosher.
The food we eat is whole food plant based (nearly no pre-prepared foods from the store) and that is kosher but there are more complicated rules. It all goes over my head when it needs to be prepared with kosher pans/dishes, by a kosher preparer, or under kosher supervision. I wouldn't know. We've just never been exposed to the rules.

If I had someone over for supper who keeps kosher, I'd put the effort into making food they could eat. However, my kitchen would still not be kosher. My household does not keep the Shabbat, so even if I had kosher food in my pantry, you wouldn't be able to eat it.

CD

If I had someone over for supper who keeps kosher, I'd put the effort into making food they could eat. However, my kitchen would still not be kosher. My household does not keep the Shabbat, so even if I had kosher food in my pantry, you wouldn't be able to eat it.

CD
I believe there are some exceptions for when one is a guest.

I lived in a Jewish sorority (SDT) for 3 years in college, with a supposedly kosher kitchen. The food was terrific, but in hindsight, I doubt if it was truly kosher.

Diet food focuses on providing nutrition while promoting weight management or health improvement. These foods often have reduced calories, fats, or sugars and are rich in essential nutrients. They include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains, helping individuals achieve a balanced, healthy lifestyle.

I'm going to say a 5. Sometimes I'm careful about what I eat and sometimes not. I'm probably not as careful as I should be.
Food is a pleasure. Of course, you have to keep an eye on what you're eating from time to time, but you also need to give yourself permission to enjoy it.

Food is a pleasure. Of course, you have to keep an eye on what you're eating from time to time, but you also need to give yourself permission to enjoy it.
I completely agree. Everything in moderation. I don't eat many fried foods, for example, but sometimes I just gotta have deep fried fish and deep fried chicken livers, two of my favorites. Oh and, of course, fried chicken.

:winkiss:

Back
Top Bottom