I have Blackstone grill envy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
And I'm wondering what the pros and th cons are. To me, the idea of a Blackstone is similar to an indoor griddle or a good pan on the stove (both of which I have for pancakes, burgers, etc. and also a wok for stir fry) but as all my friends have one, I have fear of missing out and a small desire to have one just to have one. I already have a charcoal grill but am wondering what I could cook with a Blackstone if I decide to buy one? Is a Blackstone just better for larger quantities/ a crowd? Does it do anything better than a stove with cast iron or indoor tiny griddle can?

And I'm wondering what the pros and th cons are. To me, the idea of a Blackstone is similar to an indoor griddle or a good pan on the stove (both of which I have for pancakes, burgers, etc. and also a wok for stir fry) but as all my friends have one, I have fear of missing out and a small desire to have one just to have one. I already have a charcoal grill but am wondering what I could cook with a Blackstone if I decide to buy one? Is a Blackstone just better for larger quantities/ a crowd? Does it do anything better than a stove with cast iron or indoor tiny griddle can?

I have a Blackstone griddle.

Is there an advantage as far as flavor, versus something like a good cast iron skillet? No.

But, you definitely are right about a Blackstone being great when you are cooking for a bunch of people. The multiple burners also let you have hotter and cooler zones. That's great for things like fried rice, or cooking burgers and warming buns at the same time. Mine is one of the portable models, so I can also take it camping, and feed a bunch of my camping friends.

I always wanted one, but never wanted to pay a bunch of money for one. But, last winter, my local Walmart had the one I have on sale for a killer price. It seemed like a no-brainer.

The only thing to keep in mind is that they are for outdoor use only. You don't want to be using a propane cooking device inside. It's too dangerous. Also, like a good cast iron pan, you have to season it properly, and maintain that seasoning. There are some good YouTube videos about that, and I highly recommend that you use Blackstone seasoning products.

Anyway, if you have someplace to use it, and some money burning a hole in your wallet, go for it. I certainly have no regrets about buying mine.

CD

The things I would cook on a Blackstone I wouldn't typically cook for a group. I have a wok for fried rice and lo mein. A reversible CI griddle for smash burgers (I don't really like smash burgers but SO does.). Also a Griddler for pancakes.

That said, if you want and can afford one, go of it. You can always sell it later.

For me, it would be more work to clean, store, and maintain than it would be worth.

Better to buy one for the kids or grandkids and enjoy watching them use it. 😉🤭😂

I agree with @Andy M. and @caseydog, if you want it and can afford it, go for it.

Blackstone is typically used for frying, grilling, or making pancakes. Unlike a charcoal grill, it's difficult to create a smoky flavor on a Blackstone that many people enjoy when cooking over charcoal.

I totally agree, it does take some getting used to, just as it does even with your indoor flat top grills. But once seasoned and getting along on the learning curve, it is fun to even prepare breakfast on! It is also great for squishy and runny foods (tomatoes, peaches).

Also as Andy has said - you'll get a darn good price on a re-sale as they are popular items now.

I have a Big Green Egg and a gas grill. In the almost exclusively male BGE world, the perfect combo is an Egg and a Blackstone. Blackstones come in various sizes but usually better (and more controllable) surface area than an Egg.

Many pictures on the BGE Facebook page of huge breakfast feasts cooked entirely on a Blackstone.

My next door neighbor got one as a birthday present but he hasn’t used it in years.

You also have to consider just exactly how much do you really cook outside? It is a fad but it will have staying power like the BGE did, plus the resale value is good.
So again, really only think of just how much you will use it as in how much you use your current outside cooking gadgets.

Blackstone is typically used for frying, grilling, or making pancakes. Unlike a charcoal grill, it's difficult to create a smoky flavor on a Blackstone that many people enjoy when cooking over charcoal.

A Blackstone griddle was never intended to do what a charcoal grill does. It is like a flat-top "grill" you'd find in a diner, but for home use (outdoors). You can't get a smokey flavor from one, no matter how hard you try... and you can't cook pancakes on a Weber Kettle. The batter will fall through the grates. ;)

CD

Last edited:
A Blackstone griddle was never intended to do what a charcoal grill does. It is like a flat-top "grill" you'd find in a diner, but for home use (outdoors). You can't get a smokey flavor from one, no matter how hard you try... and you can't cook pancakes on a Weber Kettle. The batter will fall through the grates. ;)

CD
1716756769949.jpeg

15 Tips for your Blackstone Griddle

Hope this article gives you a few more tips on using. I especially recommend the get the Infrared Thermometer. They are not terribly expensive and you will be surprised at just how hot and how quickly the griddle can get.... hence the practice, practice, practice.

15 Tips for your Blackstone Griddle

Hope this article gives you a few more tips on using. I especially recommend the get the Infrared Thermometer. They are not terribly expensive and you will be surprised at just how hot and how quickly the griddle can get.... hence the practice, practice, practice.

I recently bought a new infrared thermometer. I had one years ago, but it died. I got mine at Lowe's. They probably cost more at a cooking store.

CD

I've seen them as low as $35.00 cdn. and over $100.00 cdn. Go t=for the low end ones. Not the bottom but mid-bottom (new word) they work fairly well. Higher priced ones are usually for industrial/professional use and are not necessary for your need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom