Is a nurse or a doctor on duty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's one reason why I love that my doctors are all professors at the medical school where I used to work. They all teach, do research and go to conferences to learn and present, so they're up to date.

Poo took a leave of absence so he could work and teach at Boston University. He wrote the program for teaching Physician Assistants. Once the program was written, he would lecture and teach on the wards at the Boston Medical Center. He also taught some of the higher up doctors from Harvard Medical School the program so they could take over when he left. At the time there was only one other school for PA training in Boston. And the number of students that are accepted are very low. So BU decided to have a program of their own.

I cut a tip of my thumb couple of weeks ago. Knife was pretty sharp and I was in too much of a hurry, well, the cut is pretty dip. It's healing of course, but it's weird. Looks like it's healing on the edges but inside the cut looks like there is pus. I hate to go to doctor, who probably is going to tell me to soak it or something. What say you?

I'm an eye doctor, so the best advice I can give you is to take off your glasses and you won't see it.

Some have questioned why I did not respond with more practical advice. Charlie asked for a nurse or doctor, since I am a nurse I am unable to respond as one. I am not licensed in Minnesota to practice nursing, which I would be doing.

Get a tetanus booster? You have to get one every 10 years. And sometimes right after a nasty cut (or is that only if you haven't had a booster?)

CVS has the Minute Clinic if you don't want to fart around with making an appointment with the family doc, taking a day off work, etc..

I was out helping my mom at her new house 2,500 miles away from our regular family doc. I went to the Minute Clinic (had ran out of my BP medicine). I put my info into the kiosk (took 2 minutes), then the beautiful nurse practitioner lady came out and took me right into her office for my exam. Then she sent over the script to the pharmacy side of CVS.

I was in/out fast, and the co-pay was only $20 (same as seeing the family doctor).

Charlie, Spike has had many cuts when he is working on any number of jobs of contracting over the years. His suggestion is:

Cut off a piece of your T shirt, wrap it tightly around your finger, cover with electrical tape. Black electrical tape. It will match the dirt on your already dirty T shirt.

I will never for the rest of my life and up to today understand that child.

Last edited:
I just got a wound center new patient report where the patient has a long-standing non-healing wound. A couple of things the doc suggested was using Dial antibacterial soap and a product called Medihoney. Looked it up, it's not cheap by any means, but there appear to be a lot of people that swear by it for wound healing.

Charlie, did you heal up okay?

I just got a wound center new patient report where the patient has a long-standing non-healing wound. A couple of things the doc suggested was using Dial antibacterial soap and a product called Medihoney. Looked it up, it's not cheap by any means, but there appear to be a lot of people that swear by it for wound healing.

Charlie, did you heal up okay?

I am not surprised. I need to look up Yankee Magazine. They have a small booklet with all the old fashion medicinal items that were used during the Colonial days. It seems that honey is used for so healing many things.

Yeah, actually I went to Miami, washed my hands in the ocean, healed almost right away, albeit it was close to be healing anyways.

Some have questioned why I did not respond with more practical advice. Charlie asked for a nurse or doctor, since I am a nurse I am unable to respond as one. I am not licensed in Minnesota to practice nursing, which I would be doing.

I get into contractor "contract" conversations with repliers from other states, states where you don't need a state license for ANY construction trade, except for plumbing and electricity. I have to bow out of some of those discussions, being a state licensed contractor.

Princess was right to respond in this manner.

I'm not up on my knowledge about nurses and their accreditation's.

Last edited:
I get into contractor "contract" conversations with repliers from other states, states where you don't need a state license for ANY construction trade, except for plumbing and electricity. I have to bow out of some of those discussions, being a state licensed contractor.

Princess was right to respond in this manner.

I'm not up on my knowledge about nurses and their accreditation's.

Caslon, nurse have to take so many Continuous Education classes a year and read about new changes in the nursing practices in order to keep their license. The same with lawyers, doctors, physicians assistants, etc. Even hairdressers in this state. Also some states like Hawaii, if you haven't updated your nursing education for a certain period of time, you cannot practice in that state. You have to take a complete refresher course in the laws and protocols of Hawaii.

So it differs state to state. Even for plumbers and electricians. It all depends on the building codes of the city and state.

I have one son who is a licensed contractor and one a licensed plumber.

Caslon, nurse have to take so many Continuous Education classes a year and read about new changes in the nursing practices in order to keep their license. The same with lawyers, doctors, physicians assistants, etc. Even hairdressers in this state. Also some states like Hawaii, if you haven't updated your nursing education for a certain period of time, you cannot practice in that state. You have to take a complete refresher course in the laws and protocols of Hawaii.

So it differs state to state. Even for plumbers and electricians. It all depends on the building codes of the city and state.

I have one son who is a licensed contractor and one a licensed plumber.

One thing in common among all states is dealing with the infrastructure. If you plumb or put in wiring, you're gonna need to be licensed. Past that, all other building trades differ from state to state. In California, a job costing more than $600 (painting, flooring, drywall,etc). has to be done by a state licensed contractor. States back east, no license needed at all for that type of work. It's no wonder there were so many "rovers" rip offs in those states.

I admire how nurses are mandated to keep themselves upgraded. Pilots too, hehe.

Last edited:
One thing in common among all states is dealing with the infrastructure. If you plumb or put in wiring, you're gonna need to be licensed. Past that, all other building trades differ from state to state. In California, a job costing more than $600 (painting, flooring, drywall,etc). has to be done by a state licensed contractor. States back east, no license needed at all for that type of work. It's no wonder there were so many "rovers" rip offs in those states.

I admire how nurses are mandated to keep themselves upgraded. Pilots too, hehe.

In Massachusetts, if you know your stuff, a lot of licensed plumbers and electricians will allow you to work under their license. Which means if they screw up, the license holder is held responsible. Same thing for contractors.

Sounds crazy I know, but the theory is that the person who did the job is still in training.

Now that this thread is going south I also would like to add. I just took the code of conduct test, it is absolutely crazy what is going on in regards of licensing and practicing your trade. The things that one can get sued is endless and unimaginable. I would not want any real nurses or doctors answering here to avoid getting themselves into trouble.

Now that this thread is going south I also would like to add. I just took the code of conduct test, it is absolutely crazy what is going on in regards of licensing and practicing your trade. The things that one can get sued is endless and unimaginable. I would not want any real nurses or doctors answering here to avoid getting themselves into trouble.
Yeah, they know better ;)

It's crazy in that... states towards the east coast, enforceable contracts are required only for plumbing and electrical, and maybe framing, and that's it. On the west coast, you're required to have a state license for painting, flooring, plastering, etc.
if the job is $600 or more. On the east coast, all bets are off with regards to needing a state license for other trades.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom