Is it cheaper to be a vegetarian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wan

Cook
I know health is important too, but I believe I could probably "cheat" once a week or so to get the nutrients I need. For now I wish to know if it's cheaper to eat fruits, veggies and nuts only. Trying to save money. I am constantly short of money, and there are people who struggle even more than I do. Anyway I don't want to get into too much of it, but suffice to say that I am considering vegetarianism to save money.

God bless you all.

As @dr morbius says, beans. We eat them daily, in desserts, sauces, main dishes, and salads.
We eat whole food plant based which doesn't include meat, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy, and oil while vegetarian might include some of those things. We also don't buy many, very few processed foods (soy sauce, worchestershire..). We save about 25% of our original food budget. We spend on more variety and volume of veggies and fruit than average shoppers.
If anyone doesn't eat meat, then start taking B12 but a similar % of meat eating people also suffer from B12 deficiency, so everyone might want to consider it anyways. 2000 micrograms once a week.
Different authorities say the savings for vegan and vegetarian is 16%-35%. If adding in faux milk, faux butter, faux mayonnaise, faux cheese, faux meat then that is as expensive as the original foods and there is no savings there.

edited to add: Imagine the money saved on health care when eating a healthy diet maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding chronic diseases.

Last edited:
Nothing is a bargain if you don’t enjoy it.

In the beginning stick with what you know and enjoy.

Gradually make a few swaps in your current diet.

Eliminate a few things that add little or no nutritional value.

Gradually add a few basic foods that you feel are a good value.

Eliminate waste.

Eventually you will come up with a list of inexpensive basic foods that you enjoy.

Nothing is a bargain if you don’t enjoy it.

In the beginning stick with what you know and enjoy.

Gradually make a few swaps in your current diet.

Eliminate a few things that add little or no nutritional value.

Gradually add a few basic foods that you feel are a good value.

Eliminate waste.

Eventually you will come up with a list of inexpensive basic foods that you enjoy.

This.

I agree that beans are a good way to reduce your food spending, and still get protein and other nutrients not found in most fruits and veggies. In a lot of places around the world, rice and beans are staple foods. You can still eat meat, but use half as much meat when you mix the meat with beans. Ham and white bean soup and chili with pinto beans are filling meals that don't cost a lot.

CD

You also have to take food waste into account. Cheap fruits and veggies aren't so cheap if you don't eat them fast enough, and have to throw half of them away. You have to plan ahead, and buy just what you need, when you need it if you are buying fresh produce. You can buy too much meat, and freeze what you don't use.

On that note, since I live alone, and cook mostly for myself, I buy frozen veggies, and some canned veggies, like tomatoes.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom