ISO Cheap and Easy Pizza Alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about an.open pie?
Store bought short crust pastry (or homemade. It's not difficult)
Line a bowl, can be individual bowls or bigger ones.
Blind bake is nice, but not necessary.
Filling: whatever veges fit the bill.
Fry onions & garlic, put a layer onions, then.maybe peppers, egg plant, onions again or something else.
Top with eggs, scrambled with cheese & italian herbs
Bake in oven.
They can be frozen.
If you want, add bacon, but that might bring it above budget
That sounds like a quiche.

Could be.
Just less egg & cheese. Plus more vegetables to what I consider a quiche
Kids that had them, called it a pizza, but with waaayyy more toppings
Love quiche lorraine, but I'm sure that would be over budget.

Yes, bacon is getting expensive. I like to make a quiche with leftover Thanksgiving turkey, roasted red peppers and Havarti cheese. Any vegetables and cheese could be used.

On that pie note, my Mom, and I also when I learned to cook, made meat pies. They were a simple, but tasty dinner, served with ketchup. A simple two crust pie filled with seasoned, and cooked ground beef, chopped onions, a little garlic, S&P, ,diced potato, and sometimes diced carrot, all cooked until the crust was golden brow. This is also great with gravy. It can be frozen, and just reheated in the microwave, or oven as needed.

If you want great pizza flavor, get your raw pizza dough for the crust (frozen bread dough from the grocers works well for this). Form into an 8 inch circle. Add sauce ant your favorite toppings. Leave an inch bare of sauce, and toppings all the way around. Brush the edges with egg wash. Fold the circles in half, rolling the edges inward a bit. Brush the tops with milk. Cut slits to allow steam to vent, Bake until golden brown. Because the fillings are encased in the crust, they remain moist, and full of flavor. Let the formed crust rise for 20 minutes before baking.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom