ISO help accommodating guest with dietary restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvs2Cook

Head Chef
Having guests over for a BBQ. One of the guests is on a very low fat, low saturated fat, low cholest. diet due to health issues. Any suggestions for dinner menus? Thanks! :chef:

Why don't you ask them what they might want?
Otherwise, how about fish or seafood for them?

grilled chicken burger? or grilled extra lean hamburger ? chicken or turkey hot dogs.

even when my daughter had to eat low chol for health reasons, she was allowed some broiled red meat.

My "go to" meal for people like this is boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I season with a salt free seasoning (Cavenders in the blue shaker or Mrs Dash are good ones). I either brush a nonstick skillet with a bit of olive oil or use a spray. I choose not to bake or broil them because it is just too darned easy to overcook them. Then a tossed salad with a choice of diet type dressings, some kind of green veggie. A half of a baked potato with some heart friendly margarine substitute or rice or couscous cooked in a healthy broth.

When I'm having several guests over and don't want to do the extreme healthy thing for everyone, I make sure that at least one side dish is good for them and that they can pretty much make a meal of it (I've cooked for diverticular, for vegan and vegetarian of other sorts, etc as part of a larger group. At some point you cannot cater to everyone's needs, just make sure to tell them what is in what dish. One of my funnier dinner moments was when a friend told me his daughter was a vegetarian. As usual, I made sure the sides would make for a good filling meal in and of themselves. She walked in and yelled "MEAT!! Yummy!" and chowed down. Several months later I entertained him with his OTHER daughter. It turned out he'd forgotten which of his gals was the vegetarian! They're both college girls and we all got a laugh out of it.

Assuming you know the person, I would just ask them what they would like to have instead of making a guess. Maybe go through a couple ideas if the first one is not practical for you to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom