I've been invited to a Bug Banquet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you or wouldn't you attend a gourmet dinner where insects were being served?

• YES! Creepy and crawly doesn't bug me one bit.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • NO WAY! Please pass the Raid.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • MAYBE, provided I don't actually see any legs or wings on the plate.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
A friend of mine, who is an adventurous eater, has invited me to a dinner featuring local celeb Andrew Zimmern, where they will be serving a four course meal consisting of insects. :ohmy:

Now I consider myself to be a relatively adventurous eater, but I'm actually feeling a little squeamish about this particular dinner. I will very likely go, however.

So... I'm just curious. Would you or wouldn't you attend something like this?

Last edited:
You may have my share, Steve. Though it would be interesting to see as a spectator.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well more power to you. I can't imagine myself doing that. Let us know how it went for you.

I've seen other people eat bugs...If ur an adventurous eater you should definitely go...It's the sight of the bugs that put people off...So close ur eyes and munch??

Would I go? No way Jose'! I can hardly stand to look at Andrew Zimmern, he actually reminds me of a bug and gives me the creeps.
Looking forward to your report though Steve.

I think we need to hire a DC bus for us to go watch Steve eat bugs.

I'm just curious what kind of wine one pairs with grasshoppers.

:LOL:
I didn't know what to vote, so I voted no way. I mean, I wouldn't mind attending as long as they had non-insect dishes as a side. :) I don't think I've ever seen any of Andrew Zimmern's shows, but if it's only insect meals I would have to pass. I like lobster and it's considered a 'bug' but much else beyond that exceeds my comfort zone. :ermm::)

I've had enough experience watching Josh Gates eat bugs on his TV show to know that ain't for me. May I politely say, "No, thank you."
eekout.gif

No, no...absolutely not. I may have to fumigate the thread, I've got the crawlies just thinking about it.

I'd be intrigued, and I want to think I'm that adventurous, but... I don't think I can eat bugs deliberately, especially big ones, and especially if they look anything like cockroaches. Ew ew ew :ermm:

[emoji38]
I didn't know what to vote, so I voted no way. I mean, I wouldn't mind attending as long as they had non-insect dishes as a side. [emoji2] I don't think I've ever seen any of Andrew Zimmern's shows, but if it's only insect meals I would have to pass. I like lobster and it's considered a 'bug' but much else beyond that exceeds my comfort zone. :ermm:[emoji2]

It's not just insects. Sometimes it's animal parts that most westerners don't think of as edible.

I remember one episode where he talked about eating tendons and other connective tissue in China. They enjoy the texture of it as opposed to the flavor. In most cases, in western cuisines, the emphasis is on developing flavors with browning and spices.

Back
Top Bottom