Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my reading aloud 'program', I just finished The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. I read this so many years ago it isn't funny to think about it. But the ladies I read to have a love of the tales of King Arthur in all their many forms (including one with a decidedly feminist bent), so asked if they'd be interested in the story told from Merlin's point of view.

In the "gap", while we decide what will be our next reading, we've picked up this and that. They'd like James Joyce's Ulysses (excuse spelling) next. Oh, dearie me.

One genre of novels that has surfaced in the past few years is novels written about female characters in the bible, who anyone will admit, often get short shrift. I just read Zipporah, wife of Moses by Marke Halter, but there are a few floating around now (The Red Tent is one). I enjoy these books, although I'm sure there are those who consider them sacriligious.

Sandyj -- sorry I haven't kept up with this thread. I've read both the novels you mentioned and loved both. One I picked up for a simple reason .... Roy is my maiden name. But I loved the book. For some reason I wasn't expecting to like "Interpreter..." but enjoyed it enormously. There are serveral Japanese authors I simply cannot get into. Most Indian ones I like. There is a Dutch murder mystery series that is great entertainment. But there are many novels that make me wonder why I'm even trying ... the translations might as well be in the original language when you have to read a line a half-dozen times to get the meaning. I thought the Umberto Eco thing was just me until a friend read a couple of his novels and agreed with me. Good stories, but difficult-to-impossible to wade through the words. Of course, maybe he's difficult to read in Italian, if you're Italian, and it isn't the translator's fault. Come to think of it, I know an Italian translator. Maybe I'll get an email address for her and ask if she's read ....

On Marmalady's recommendation I read Ruth Reichl's newest book Garlic and Sapphires. I liked it so much I just devoured her first two, too, Tender at the Bone and Comfort me with Apples. Those two should definitely be read in order (probably all 3 should be but reading the newest first didn't throw me off). They were all wonderful! I'm not a huge nonfiction/bio fan but these read like fiction. I recommended them to my mom, who isn't interested in cooking or food writing in the least, but she broke down and started reading Tender at the Bone and is hooked now too!

the ccna study guide.

my boss just told me about future plans for my dept.. there's about to be a huge shake up in my job in the next few years, and lots of people will be looking for new dept.'s, or maybe new jobs. so my boss suggested that people with certain training, expertise, and certifications will be the ones to survive. i ain't about to give up this juicy gig, so i'm starting off with cisco certification. wish me luck.

Raven said:
Right now I'm reading this thread. :LOL:Sorry, I couldn't resist :angel:
I have to echo Raven's words, I can't believe that I've missed this cool thread up until this exact minute!

At the moment I am reading the cookbook, simply entitled "Fish" by Sophie Grigson.

(Best of luck to you Bucky!)

While I was shopping for my grandchildren, I bought the complete set of "The Chronicles of Narnia". I will pass them on to one of them after I've read the set. I have only taken out the first book, but plan to read them all when reading time isn't so scarce. I don't remember reading them when I grew up.

I have been forever looking for an Italian version of ANY James Herriot book and finally found it some days ago. JUST ONE COPY of "Cat Stories". (it is really unbelievable, as famous and loved he is almost everywhere in the world, he seems to be utterly unknown in Italy!!) Since I could get only one copy, I have to make this a gift for one of our dearest friends, a cat lover, who would surely cherish this book. Now I am trying to read as much as possible of it ever so carefully not to make any dog ears or drop some stains from my tea or munchies(I was always curious how it would be translated, also it is a great learning tool to read something that I know by heart in Italian), before it has to be gift wrapped later today!!

urmaniac13 said:
I have been forever looking for an Italian version of ANY James Herriot book and finally found it some days ago. JUST ONE COPY of "Cat Stories". (it is really unbelievable, as famous and loved he is almost everywhere in the world, he seems to be utterly unknown in Italy!!) Since I could get only one copy, I have to make this a gift for one of our dearest friends, a cat lover, who would surely cherish this book. Now I am trying to read as much as possible of it ever so carefully not to make any dog ears or drop some stains from my tea or munchies(I was always curious how it would be translated, also it is a great learning tool to read something that I know by heart in Italian), before it has to be gift wrapped later today!!
That is very beautiful Licia, what a truly thoughtful gift, I'm sure your dear friend will be touched through and through by your wonderful present :)

Back
Top Bottom