Ketchup Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then I think you should post it for those that need to know. The recipes I posted would not work by substituting fresh tomatoes.

Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

Tomato Catsup

1 c. white vinegar
1-1/2 inches stick cinnamon, broken
1-1/2 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp celery seed
8 pounds tomatoes, about 24 medium
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 cup sugar
4 tsp salt

In saucepan bring first 4 ingredients to boil, (I suggest very good ventilation and an open window). Remove from heat and let stand.

Wash, core and quarter tomatoes. Drain in colander; discard liquid. Place tomatoes in large pan add onion and cayenne. Heat over med-high heat until bubbling. Cook 15 minutes, stirring often.

Put mixture through a food mill, discarding peels and seeds. Add sugar to tomato juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 - 2 hours or until reduced by half. Strain vinegar mixture into tomato, discard spices. Add salt, simmer 30 minutes or till desired consistency, stirring often.

Makes 2 pints.

Then you can Water bath can or freeze.

Thanks, PrincessFiona! There's a reason I wanted to see a recipe from scratch. For health reasons I need to start using less storebought canned goods, and I would like to try making some of my own condiments so I can get off of the mass produced brands and know every ingredient that goes into it.

Thanks, PrincessFiona! There's a reason I wanted to see a recipe from scratch. For health reasons I need to start using less storebought canned goods, and I would like to try making some of my own condiments so I can get off of the mass produced brands and know every ingredient that goes into it.

You are Welcome. The only thing boxed I still buy is cereal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom