Legsbig Hotsauce - Free Samples Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I bought an awesome Hattori 4" Petty, this knife as it is the perfect knife for my new hotsauce business in which i will be cutting thousands of habaneros and chipotles..which i will be offering free samples to members here in 2 weeks. I will be offering 5 free bottles of my delicious sauce...out of all the hotsauces ive tasted (probably 40-50) mine is the most delicious. my girlfriend even eats it and she HATES hotsauce. I gave a sample to my bro and he didnt believe I made it

Here are the non secret ingredients. ( i wont list my secrets )

Red Choice Hand Picked Habaneros
Real Chipotles (not purple ones)
Honey
Chile Pequin Flakes
Rice Vinegar
Tequila

Sea Salt
Lime
Coarse Cracked Tellicherry indian peppercorns
Roasted Garlic

img_320134_0_5167f5e381f2e608e4356dff32d2e9dc.jpg

I have this recipe down to 1/8ths of teaspoon proportions and have already sent out 4 sample bottles. Will have reviews on Sunday. This sauce is only 1 month mash my sauces i sell in my business will be 6 month mash.

Will ship Priority mail to 5 hot sauce lovers here, people who are familar with sauces and the ingredients listed and can help comment on any tweaks i can make.

(I have already been tweaking it for a month)

If you are a respected member here whom i've associated with and have a knowledge and pallette to enjoy and analyze a hot sauce, i will make you one of the 5.

I'd like to send some to Andy already, if he'll have it. Warning, this sauce is very hot, but slow burn hot, not chemical, and incredibly delicious.

Only thing i ask, is it cost 5 dollars to ship it priority mail with packaging, actually more like 6. I will print a receipt if you like and post it.

If you enjoy the sauce, i'd appreciate you send the postage to my paypal

But you are not required to

Last edited by a moderator:
I just would like to wish you TONS of luck on your new venture and I hope it is everything you want it to be!!!!!Love and energy, Vicki

Good luck!
I'd offer to help but... hot spice and I just don't get along too
well.

Let me know when you have a very mild version.

smiles, T

MLB,
I would like to try some. It would be good to send to people that could share with other DC members in their local region. You'd get more bang for the buck that way. I could share with TATTRAT, or vice versa if he is cool with that. I'm not as into hotsauce as I used to be, but still like it in chili and many other things.

If there's any left sign me up too! I love a hot sauce wtih that slow heat and lots of flavor! They are truly hard to find.

PM me when you need details.

Jenny, Vagriller, Kitchenelf, The Z, and Andy if he shows up. that's it sorry folks. already mailed out 5 other samples on another forum i hang out at.

hey - question, besides setting up a stand at my flea market in the valley

(hehe no rent, own the land, no overhead, as no air conditioning, and fiancee is going to sell)

what is the best way to sell this stuff on the internet? I understand i cannot shill here, is there any way i can pay for an ad here once i get established? or sell to members one on one through emails and private messages?

I really have something special on my hands. this stuff is no joke.

Not to put a damper on your parade.. I love hot sauce however...

There are many laws in the state of texas i spent a lot of time there.. Firstly in order to sell a food product you should really look at the licences you need. Im fairly certain you cant make stuff in your kitchen and sell it.

Also You will need insurance liability etc before you go shipping your stuff gosh forbid someone got sick.. maybe due to postal handling etc it will still come back to you!

anyway you may want to contact your local office to see what licencing you need. I know personal chefs etc need licences and things being sold for retail cant be made in your home kitchen

Chef Jen, i wont need any of that junk to sell some online to people right?

I mean before i open an actual business.

which of these will i need for my business?

RETAIL

Retail Food Operation - Childcare-School-Roadside Vendor-Mobile Food Vendor - Initial, Renewal, or Change of Ownership (including legal entity)

Retail Food Operation - Childcare-School-Roadside Vendor-Mobile Food Vendor - Minor Amendment Change (Name, Address)

Retail Food Operation - Food Establishment-Food Store - Initial, Renewal, or Change of Ownership (including legal entity

Retail Food Operation - Food Establishment-Food Store - Minor Amendment Change (Name, Address)

Retail Temporary Food Establishment - Single Event

Retail Temporary Food Establishment - Multiple Events

Mobile Food Vendor Checklist

Certified Food Manager - Certification

Certified Food Manager - Recertification

Certified Food Manager - Test-Site

I mean before i open an actual business.

I wouldn't sell anything to anybody without liability insurance.

i'd lose any profit i'd make. like 10 people die of botulism every year and no one has ever died of botulism from pepper mash as far as i know

how much does it cost? I have money..i will eat the medical bills if they get sick(they won't, im almost medically sterile)

Mylegsbig said:

Actually, you'll need even more because you'll be engaged in interstate commerce, which brings the feds down on you, and you'll need to comply with the laws of any state to which you ship the stuff. Just ask the folks in the wine business.

If you're serious about this, I very strongly suggest that you consult a lawyer who specializes in retail food production and sales. Once you go commercial, it ain't fun and games no more!

You got some "homework" to do bigleg....
(and lotza "footwork" if you are serious)

Peeps here cannot lay out a plan "for you"...
Chef_Jen gave you LOTZ of "good advice". start there.

Good Luck! your mash ingredients sound delicious.

BTW, have you run the numbers on this? I assume you have because you strike me as a pretty bright guy, but your enthusiasm may have caused you to overlook the reality of entering a very crowded market (see www.mohotta.com, for example).

If it costs you $1 to make a bottle, including the ingredients, energy, bottle, label, packaging, insurance, transportation, storage, postage (if you sell on the Internet), and other costs of production and promotion, and if you sell it for $6 a bottle, you make $5 on every sale. To make a very modest living of say $25K per year, you would have to sell 5,000 bottles, almost 100 per week.

How much time would it take to make that much? Include buying the ingredients, chopping the peppers, roasting, mixing, cooking, straining, bottling, labeling, packaging, transporting, selling, bookkeeping, etc. etc. You very well might be working for less than minimum wage.

Lastly, don't forget that your profits are taxable income, and tax evasion is a federal felony.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I hate to see people go into business with their eyes closed, only to discover too late that it takes more than a good product and high enthusiasm to make a go of it.

paying all of these lawyers and agencies and then permits and then normal people would have to lease land and then get a staff and pay other bills how in the **** are you suppsed to make money? If my sauce is REALLY GOOD,i mean REALLY GOOD, how many units you think i can move a week online? just through the reviews i get on this forum and another one, mma.tv, which has thousands of active members

FryBoy said:
BTW, have you run the numbers on this? I assume you have because you strike me as a pretty bright guy, but your enthusiasm may have caused you to overlook the reality of entering a very crowded market (see www.mohotta.com, for example).

If it costs you $1 to make a bottle, including the ingredients, energy, bottle, label, packaging, insurance, transportation, storage, postage (if you sell on the Internet), and other costs of production and promotion, and if you sell it for $6 a bottle, you make $5 on every sale. To make a very modest living of say $25K per year, you would have to sell 5,000 bottles, almost 100 per week.

How much time would it take to make that much? Include buying the ingredients, chopping the peppers, roasting, mixing, cooking, straining, bottling, labeling, packaging, transporting, selling, bookkeeping, etc. etc. You very well might be working for less than minimum wage.

Lastly, don't forget that your profits are taxable income, and tax evasion is a federal felony.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I hate to see people go into business with their eyes closed, only to discover too late that it takes more than a good product and high enthusiasm to make a go of it.

i think the flea market might be my best bet and just little deals here and there with people online. i shipped 5 bottles and get any permits or any feds involved or anything.

Any idea on how to make the flea market thing profitable? there are around 200-250 vendors there, on 17 acres. it's in mcallen tx on border of mexico.

I was thinking over there they wont pay no 6 dollars for a sauce, so i was thinking hiring one of our workers sons to do the brunt work, and just pump out TONS OF JARS of a chipotle sauce.

i was thinking this.

Chipotle Peppers(real ones)
dried Tepin peppers
Adobo Powder
Molasses
Lime Juice
Tequila
Sea Salt
Toasted Cumin Seed
Roasted Garlic
50%Sterilized chipotle liquid from reconstituting/50% Rice vinegar

would that be too hot to sell large volume?

selling it in bigger jars, because mexican familes tend to be large and it will go fast. Im thinking i could also sell it in plastic maybe? I found a company in europe that will sell me 5oz for 49 cents each glass.

Or how about hitting up clubs in mexico, and buying the corona bottles that are empty? i could easily scrape the corona label off with goo-gone and a knife.

Will plastic sell at all? even at a flea market? Weve owned the place for 20 years and most of our vendors have been there the whole time..world would get around quick that it is good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom