Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I just looked it up, and Star Trek: Discovery starts on Sept. 24th.

The first two episodes will be shown on CBS tv and on tbe CBS streaming service called CBS All Access, then the rest of the episodes will he available through streaming (for a fee).
It will be available on Netflix outside of the U.

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for another streaming service. I already pay for premium cable, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.

Plus, I should be able to see this one at work.

I might be the only person on the planet who has never watched G of T and Walking Dead...

Neither SO nor I have either.

I'm in that club, too. I like sci-fi, but am not into the fantasy/horror genres.

The first two episodes will be shown on CBS tv and on tbe CBS streaming service called CBS All Access, then the rest of the episodes will he available through streaming (for a fee).

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for another streaming service. I already pay for premium cable, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.
I don't have cable, so I rely on the streaming services, as well as an antenna to pick up local sports. I have Hulu and Amazon, but no Netflix.

I also signed up for the CBS service earlier this year, so I'm absolutely planning to watch the new Trek series. The Orville looks good, too. I should be able to watch that on Hulu, I would think, since they carry Fox shows.

Plus, I should be able to see this one at work.

Thanks for the correct info, Bucky. It's what I get for not paying attention to the TV ads and listening to Shrek.:wacko:

Star Trek the Next Generation was the successor to Star Trek the original series.

A few TNG episodes were ok. Only a few.

After Star Trek TNG...the spinoffs were laughable. Absolute Hollywood factory crap.

Here's hoping.

Last edited:
I'm in that club, too. I like sci-fi, but am not into the fantasy/horror genres.

I don't have cable, so I rely on the streaming services, as well as an antenna to pick up local sports. I have Hulu and Amazon, but no Netflix.

I also signed up for the CBS service earlier this year, so I'm absolutely planning to watch the new Trek series. The Orville looks good, too. I should be able to watch that on Hulu, I would think, since they carry Fox shows.

According to this, The Orville will definitely be on Hulu. I'll have to wait for the new Star Trek. Can't bring myself to pay for CBS All Access. I do love the networks that stream last few episodes of their current shows for free. Really hope CBS continues to do so. I'm counting on buckytom to pass that on to Leslie Moonves next time they have lunch.

But that's not why I dropped by.

Stumbled on this homage to Diana Rigg:Diana Rigg Simply Irresistible
The Avengers were on TV from 1961 through 1969. I was only able to watch the first few seasons, but in the words of the song, she gave me, and a lot of boys my age, "feelings that we never felt before."
Only found one full episode of The Avengers on YouTube but all of seasons 2 and 4, 1962 and 1965, are streaming free on DailyMotion.com. I'm going to take time out to remember my pubescent youth by watching them there.

Last edited:
Check with your library system, skilletlicker. Our library sharing system had about five different listings for the old 1960's series. You might have more luck at the library than at Youtube.

Just finished watching season premier of Outlander. I don't understand why they went back again.
And one thing I really do not like is when these shows start dabbling into politics.

Star Trek the Next Generation was the successor to Star Trek the original series.

A few TNG episodes were ok. Only a few.

After Star Trek TNG...the spinoffs were laughable. Absolute Hollywood factory crap.

Here's hoping.

I'm sorry, but allow me to disagree. New Generation was great, and as it went on it got better and better. As the matter of fact, by far better than the original. Deep Space 9 was ok, the rest I have to agree with you.

I was looking around Netflix last night and found a strangely funny series called Norsemen.

It's really dry, oddball humor about Vikings (with some unnecessary vulgar jokes mixed in) along the lines of movies from the comedy troupe that made Best in Show, Spinal Tap, and A Mighty Wind.

It seems stupid at first, but it grows on you. Plus, I love the Scandinavian accents.

Current shows that I am following are:
The Guest Book
Humans
Designated Survivor
Orange is the New Black
The Last Man on Earth
Better Call Saul
Big Bang Theory
3rd Rock from the Sun
Once Upon a Time

Great classics that I could watch over and over again include:
M*A*S*H
Night Court
Cheers
That 70's Show
How I Met Your Mother
Everybody Loves Raymond

I was extremely disappointed last night!
Back in the day, I really liked Will & Grace on NBC.
When I saw that that they were reviving the show,
I marked my calendar and found the correct channel
feed and time to watch while we were out of town.
DH and I watched maybe 5 minutes of it,
and then turned the television off in disgust.
Very sad, very sad.
Maybe that's why I don't watch the "ABC" networks anymore.
Having been without cable/satellite TV for so long and
learning about streaming shows that really want to watch,
we just might cancel our account with our provider.
The majority of the channels that are offered in
the various packages offered, we don't watch.

Its a dilemma.. We have a 2nd tier package with our provider, only because I have to do so in order to pick up 2 racing channels not offered on the smaller package..

I know it can't be done and I know why it can't be done but, I would so like a cable provider which allows choosing a few stations to watch.. We have, probably 150 channels of which I have only 27 bookmarked in my favorites list.. Of the 27 we only watch about 10 with any frequency..
It would be so great if we could opt for, something like 5 channels for 25 or 30 dollars... I know I could pare down my list, with little problem..

Ross

I was extremely disappointed last night!
Back in the day, I really liked Will & Grace on NBC.
When I saw that that they were reviving the show,
I marked my calendar and found the correct channel
feed and time to watch while we were out of town.
DH and I watched maybe 5 minutes of it,
and then turned the television off in disgust.
Very sad, very sad.
Maybe that's why I don't watch the "ABC" networks anymore.
I sympathize with you. Awful to look forward to something so much and be so disappointed. Personally, I was a little letdown but maybe not for the same reasons. Seemed to me the new show was exactly the same as the old one.
Except:
  1. First, the characters were 25 years older but hadn't matured at all. What's funny or endearing for 20-somethings is often just sad for adults in their mid-50s.
  2. Second, our societal acceptance of openly gay people has changed completely since the show originally aired. In 1998 the subject matter was still slightly taboo. That was the underlying comedic device of the show and the reason why a dozen or more homosexual double entendres in a 20-minute episode, week after week, didn't seem so annoyingly repetitive. The repetition of that theme was the shtick. In 2017 most people have little or no reservations about the subject and for that reason, it just isn't as funny anymore.
The Amos 'n' Andy TV show ended in 1955. I enjoyed the reruns in the late 50s. By the mid-60s it wasn't as funny to nearly as many people and was becoming offensive to an increasing number. Sadly, since Will & Grace seems determined to keep the same attitudes despite changes in the broader culture, I suspect it might be on a similar arc.

Having been without cable/satellite TV for so long and learning about streaming shows that really want to watch,
we just might cancel our account with our provider.
I don't have a cable or satellite package. Instead, for the moment, I rely on broadcast TV supplemented by free streams from the networks, and subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Netflix.
I do feel nostalgia for the days when "everybody" watched Disney on Sunday and Gunsmoke on Tuesday but I think there are a lot more good shows nowadays.

Its a dilemma.. We have a 2nd tier package with our provider, only because I have to do so in order to pick up 2 racing channels not offered on the smaller package..

I know it can't be done and I know why it can't be done but, I would so like a cable provider which allows choosing a few stations to watch.. We have, probably 150 channels of which I have only 27 bookmarked in my favorites list.. Of the 27 we only watch about 10 with any frequency..
It would be so great if we could opt for, something like 5 channels for 25 or 30 dollars... I know I could pare down my list, with little problem..

Ross

This, unfortunately will not happen in our lifetimes.
Having worked in the industry for some time, bundling is the norm and will not change. It easier and more profitable for the prover.

I sympathize with you. Awful to look forward to something so much and be so disappointed. Personally, I was a little letdown but maybe not for the same reasons. Seemed to me the new show was exactly the same as the old one.
Except:
  1. First, the characters were 25 years older but hadn't matured at all. What's funny or endearing for 20-somethings is often just sad for adults in their mid-50s.
  2. Second, our societal acceptance of openly gay people has changed completely since the show originally aired. In 1998 the subject matter was still slightly taboo. That was the underlying comedic device of the show and the reason why a dozen or more homosexual double entendres in a 20-minute episode, week after week, didn't seem so annoyingly repetitive. The repetition of that theme was the shtick. In 2017 most people have little or no reservations about the subject and for that reason, it just isn't as funny anymore.
The Amos 'n' Andy TV show ended in 1955. I enjoyed the reruns in the late 50s. By the mid-60s it wasn't as funny to nearly as many people and was becoming offensive to an increasing number. Sadly, since Will & Grace seems determined to keep the same attitudes despite changes in the broader culture, I suspect it might be on a similar arc.

I don't have a cable or satellite package. Instead, for the moment, I rely on broadcast TV supplemented by free streams from the networks, and subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Netflix.
I do feel nostalgia for the days when "everybody" watched Disney on Sunday and Gunsmoke on Tuesday but I think there are a lot more good shows nowadays.

Yeah, we started doing the same thing little more than a year ago. Streaming is the new norm and I can see cable and satellite going by the way side.
And I agree with you about feeling nostalgic, I loved Lawrence Welk too ;)

Except:
  2. Second, our societal acceptance of openly gay people has changed completely since the show originally aired. In 1998 the subject matter was still slightly taboo. That was the underlying comedic device of the show and the reason why a dozen or more homosexual double entendres in a 20-minute episode, week after week, didn't seem so annoyingly repetitive. The repetition of that theme was the shtick. In 2017 most people have little or no reservations about the subject and for that reason, it just isn't as funny anymore..
Well said. Actually, I think the opposite might be funny today. Something like a show about a humble, conservative, mid-western family living in a flamboyantly gay neighborhood in NYC or San Fran.

Btw, if anyone's interested, I believe I can get a 20% discount to CBS All Access for them. I got a free membership (with limited commercials), and they extended it to include a discount to "friends and family".

Star Trek is sure a disappointment. I am not paying more money to watch yet another show when I am already paying for cable and Netflix.

Star Trek Discovery? Hollywood factory crap.

Right. Based on what you've said earlier in the thread, I highly doubt you've watched it past the first setup episode that aired on regular CBS. If you even watched that one. :rolleyes:

I've watched it all the way up to episode 3 now. There are a lot of things I like about it (and a few things I don't). Hopefully it will continue to get more interesting as time goes on.

On the like list:

• Unlike other Star Trek series, Discovery (so far) has a story line that continues from episode to episode.
  • The main character is a flawed former first officer, rather than the perfect captain types of the past.
  • They've finally introduced some more interesting alien species. The Saru character is one that we haven't seen on any of the previous series. And he's played believably by an actor named Doug Jones, who also did a great job in "Hellboy" and "Pan's Labyrinth."
  • Episode 3 is where things start to get kind of interesting. That's all I'll say.

Things I don't like:

• I'm a little miffed they decided to give Klingons a makeover.
  • Considering the timeline of the show is supposedly before the original series, it seems weird that the technology feels more advance than in those episodes. For example, they can do site-to-site transports and have long-range holographic communication capability. Kirk had none of that stuff. Neither did Picard, for that matter.

I'll keep watching for a while. Hopefully they don't take it way over the top - the downfall of too many series I've started to watch and then lost interest in.

Last edited:
Can somebody please explain to me what is going on Outlander? I can’t understand. It is as if second season did not exist

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom