List the ingredients of your favorite smoothie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
here is my potential list when I get my blender:
1 tomatoes
carrot
Yogurt
1/2 apple
Milk
Celery
Oats?
Protein powder?
(Will accept suggestions)

Come summertime, when I'm getting all those tomatoes, the gazpacho is my favorite "smoothie", with the tomatoes, bell or other mild peppers (I'll add some heat sometimes, but usually leave it mild, in case I have visitors), cucumbers, a small shallot, a clove of garlic, some olive oil, and some sherry vinegar. And something that I add to this, to keep the water from separating, is some chia seeds, or a small amount of xantham gum. For fruit smoothies, I frequently use those very ripe bananas, some pineapple cubes, maybe some other fruits I have around - apples, oranges, or tangerines - and a little yogurt, blend it briefly with a tb of chia seeds, then let them sit 5 min or so and gel. Then blend on high, and I usually remove about half and refrigerate that, for a later use, and add ice to what's left, and blend until smooth. I often add a few drops of coconut flavor to these, as this is delicious with the banana and pineapple.

usually my smoothies go one of two ways. Either berry flavored ( blueberry, raspberry, strawberry usually with banana, pineapple and some kind of coconut. If the fruit sent frozen I'll toss in some ice cubes to give it that slushiness. I'll also use some kind of fruit juice as a base to control the consistency. The other way usually has more of a tropical influence. I still may toss in some berries, but a lot of times strawberries ( and bananas) can hijack the flavor, so ill minimalize it, and substitute a more tropical fruit like Passion fruit, guava...( Goya sells their frozen pulp).

Come summertime, when I'm getting all those tomatoes, the gazpacho is my favorite "smoothie", with the tomatoes, bell or other mild peppers (I'll add some heat sometimes, but usually leave it mild, in case I have visitors), cucumbers, a small shallot, a clove of garlic, some olive oil, and some sherry vinegar. And something that I add to this, to keep the water from separating, is some chia seeds, or a small amount of xantham gum. For fruit smoothies, I frequently use those very ripe bananas, some pineapple cubes, maybe some other fruits I have around - apples, oranges, or tangerines - and a little yogurt, blend it briefly with a tb of chia seeds, then let them sit 5 min or so and gel. Then blend on high, and I usually remove about half and refrigerate that, for a later use, and add ice to what's left, and blend until smooth. I often add a few drops of coconut flavor to these, as this is delicious with the banana and pineapple.
Thanks for the tips

I have one or two of these at work throughout the week as it's easier to consume while working. I will also add other fruit we have around. Especially if they are reaching their over ripe stage..
Banana
Mixed frozen berries
Peanut butter( I love the stuff and find it helps balance out the sweetness of a fruit smoothie)
Almond milk or skim milk
Glutamine or Whey protien
Powdered psyllium or ground flax seed or wheat germ for fibre..

1 cup of crushed ice
1 cup of some kind of frozen fruit
1 scoop of whey protein powder
1/2 cup of plain whole milk yogurt
1 cup of whole milk or half & half

Plus some add-ins, depending on the fruit. For example, with apples I will add caramel syrup or cinnamon and brown sugar. With cherries I add a couple of squirts of chocolate syrup for chocolate covered cherry protein shake, or a shot of raspberry syrup in the peach shake for peach melba. Mixed berries for a razzleberry shake or coconut in a mixed tropical fruit shake. I just let my imagination run away with the blender.

One thing I don't like with smoothies is one that is between red and green. They are attractive looking if they are red, or if they are green, but look like mud in between the two.

For a green smoothie, especially on days when I know I won't get a salad in, I like spinach or kale.
First the apple w/peel, a banana, some water, puree of a light colored fruit, like peach or nectarine, then as many leaves of spinach or kale I can stuff in and it gets smooth.

I used to call these 'kermit smoothies' and I wasn't a fan of greens. I was determined to learn to like them and after a few months I started craving them from the energy boost I got from them. I also felt some calm and well-being from the smoothies.

If I'm making a red smoothie, I start with banana and apple and water, and then add things that are light colored and orange, pink, red, and purple, including grapes, blackberry puree, strawberries and melon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom