Looking for a Refried Bean Recipe that you have tried and liked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I made refried beans today. I used a recipe from Bon Appetite which wasn't bad, but I had to do a lot of tweaking ( which I dont mind). The end result wasn't bad, but just curious which is your go-to refried bean recipe. Don't worry about the vegetarian thing, I'll figure that part of it out, just looking for liked recipes.

Thanks

My very favorite recipe for "refried beans" isn't refried at all. Here's the link: Fat-Free Refried Beans

They are made in the crock pot. I usually double the recipe and pack them in 1-cup vacuum seal bags for the freezer. Sometimes I make them exactly the way the recipe says, sometimes I add all sorts of spices...

Add, when mashing:
• 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
• ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
• ½ teaspoon powdered garlic
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon Gebhart Chili powder
• ½ teaspoon Ground Mexican Oregano
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 tablespoon white vinegar

Sometimes I use just pinto beans, sometimes just mayocoba beans, sometimes 50/50.

If you try them, let me know what you think.

OOOPS - Edited to add link.

I really like the way Craig makes them. He just wings it. Starts with some chopped onion and green bell pepper, about half of a medium with equal onion, sauteed with a little oil, a large Roma tomato chopped and a couple big cloves of minced garlic added, then some ground cumin to taste, a bit of salt and black pepper, then the small size can of black beans, probably around 14 oz (we have 3 sizes of cans here) added with a good splash of chicken broth. Cooked for 15 to 20 minutes at a simmer. Mash beans with a potato masher. Heat a skillet over medium to medium high heat with a good spoonful of lard. Add the beans and fry for a few minutes, stirring very frequently, and turning down heat as needed. Lower heat to medium low and add some grated Mexican melting cheese like Oaxaca or Chihuahua or queso Blanco, or munster if no Mexican cheese is available. Let cheese melt and you're done.

I have refried beans on the menu next week if you want me to watch to get better measurements.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom