Mystery plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I ordered mustard greens with my produce basket. I got them. In among the mustard greens, there were some very different looking leaves. Does anyone have any idea what they are? Here are three different views of the mystery leaves.

Edited to add: The mystery leaves are about an inch in diameter.

I'm not asking about the frilly or lacy looking leaves. Those are the mustard leaves.

mystery leaves with mustard greens 1.jpg
mystery leaves with mustard greens 2.jpg
mystery leaves with mustard greens 3.jpg

Last edited:
Those leaves remind me most of the leaves on creeping Charlie, about the same size too. The stems are round, so not in the mint family, which includes basil. It mostly smells "green". It doesn't smell like a herb at all. No discernable smell came off on my fingers from touching it, as happens with a lot of herbs. I'm looking at you basil.

BTW, the mustard greens are growing in a large pot near my patio door. When I get it from Lufa Farms (produce basket place), it comes with a root plug, so I plant it when I get it. It is grown hydroponically in a greenhouse. That sort of narrows down the list of the kinds of plant that are likely to get in with my mustard greens.

Well, the 2nd picture clearly shows a 7 leaf clover. St. Paddy must have been drinking too much green tea a couple of weeks ago, that's for sure!.

Did you try your phone? With the pictures you've posted it is too difficult to separate out the mustard greens.

My phone came up with Tatsoi

Last edited:
Taste it to see if the frilly leaves taste like mustard or something else.
I have already tasted the lacy looking leaves and used them in salads. It's the little, dark green ones, the one emphasized in the picture with my hand, that I want a guess on. I have not tasted the smaller, dark green leaves.
Did you try your phone? With the pictures you've posted it is too difficult to separate out the mustard greens.

My phone came up with Tatsoi
I might take some more photos later today. Tatsoi? hahahaha. It looks nothing like any tatsoi I have ever seen, but at least that is something they might be intentionally growing in that greenhouse.

It seems unlikely, but Google Lens identifies it as "Alchemilla vulgaris, common name Lady's mantle, is an herbaceous perennial plant in Europe and Greenland.[1] These perennial wildflowers, members of the rose family, are sometimes grown in gardens - mainly for their leaves, which collect sparkling water droplets."

SO has an app that identifies plants and offers care instructions. I took 4 photos if the leaves in question and got 4 different answers:

he first photo is of the clover shaped leaf and the others are from the spinach/basil like leaf.

1. Dove's-foot crane's-bill
2. Chinese mustard. (I suspect it picked up the background.)
3. Shining cranesbill
4. Basil

I think Cranesbill is your most likely culprit. And Lady's Mantle, I seem to remember my mom mentioning that, but obviously not if only in Greenland and/or Europe. Unless Lufta has an employee just home from the Scandinavian countries.

Let it grow and see if it should get pretty little flowers.

Those leaves are very large for phlox although that would have been one of my guesses.

SO has an app that identifies plants and offers care instructions. I took 4 photos if the leaves in question and got 4 different answers:

he first photo is of the clover shaped leaf and the others are from the spinach/basil like leaf.

3. Shining cranesbill
4. Basil
I copied the image to my image editing app and cropped it to just the leaf in question. It still seems to be a mystery, though.

It seems unlikely, but Google Lens identifies it as "Alchemilla vulgaris, common name Lady's mantle, is an herbaceous perennial plant in Europe and Greenland.[1] These perennial wildflowers, members of the rose family, are sometimes grown in gardens - mainly for their leaves, which collect sparkling water droplets."
My mystery plant is several leaves. This is one large leaf. But, it did sound a lot like it.
3. Shining cranesbill
4. Basil
I only checked on #1 and #3. Those are both hairy. The ones I have are not at all hairy.

Thanks to both of you for finding possibilities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom