New range - double or single oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbreit

Cook
My wife and I are in the market for a new oven/stove range, all gas. She wants a double oven and I am very hesitant about it.

- Heat bleed between ovens
- Lack of space could make baking more challenging due to lack of flexibility of rack position
- Feels like an all year compromise with once a year upside

I love baking so something that will complicate baking will be a tough sell for me. What is your experience with counter height double ovens?

While I have no direct experience, the one issue I've noticed is that neither oven is "full-sized". Not sure if it's an issue for you but a smaller double oven may not be able to fit a Thanksgiving turkey on a rack in a roasting pan.

We just bought a new stove and looked at the double ovens. Some of them are convertible to a full size oven. But each oven has limitations because of that. Also, you have to have a place for the divider when not in use. We ended up just getting a single oven, but we also have a decent sized countertop oven as well if we happen to need a second oven.

My father in law's kitchen has a double oven - a short one on top and a full-size one below. The one on top is nice for baking a tray of cookies or rolls, or broiling meat. The other holds a whole turkey easily, but you have to lean way down to put things in and take them out, so that might be an issue.

Each can be set to a different temperature; I never noticed any bleed-through of the temperatures. Ovens these days are very well insulated.

Have a GE dual oven electric stove. Glass top. Smaller top oven full size bottom over. No problem to put a 25 Lb turkey in the lower oven. Like the five burner top. Two front burners have a large or small setting for the pot diameter. Had it about 12 years now. We were just talking that it is so handy we would never go back to a single oven even if the price was much higher.

I put in a Jen Air double oven, electric. This thing had to be dead level, way beyond any level could measure. He is a pastry chef.

So I used the shallow plate method. I got it peerect but not after the cabinet broke under the weight. I had to rebuild the bottom.

So if two guys come and install the oven, figurre $300.

Even if it is a little more, I would go to the local union hall.

You need the wiring already in the wall, you ran it and actually in a situation like this I don't try to hide it. On that job I left like a whip, flexible conduit with all needed wires. They come from the basement where I put them in, metal conduit all the way.

This was a show kitchen, it could have been on TV.

The guy was Colin Powell's personal chef. He had pictures, one with the whole staff I think Clinton and all that. Then don't ask don't tell made him want out.

But his oven was level no matter what.

T

Back
Top Bottom