New Year's eve, 12/31/202, dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Since I made gumbo z'herbes for later this week today, I decided on a simple meal. Nathan's jumbo dinner all beef flanks plus sautéed cabbage and onions, plus fried potato pieces all mixed together. Not photogenic, but pretty tasty. Craig added mustard to his.

I spatchcocked a large chicken, dry brined it with salt and baking powder (recommend by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt) in hopes of a crispy skin, but it didn't make the skin crispy. I put the spatchcocked bird in a large Pyrex lasagna pan on top of a bunch of root veggies. Everything got seasoned with a marinade of EVOO, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary (and I forgot the thyme), garlic, and minced jalapeno. I also smeared some of the chicken with Kenji's recommendation of herb mayo. I'm not sure I will bother with the herb mayo another time, but I might try it again. In any case, it turned out tender, moist, and tasty. The veg were: carrots, sunroots (AKA fartichokes or Jerusalem artichokes), a couple of potatoes, onions, garlic, celeriac, and a bit of rutabugger. It was all delicious. We had it with a Spanish cava that we will definitely buy again, Freixenet Elyssia Gran Cuvée Brut. Vanilla ice cream with fudge sauce and sliced almonds for dessert.
Henkell Trocken Sparkling wine to ring in the New Year.

Edited for typos. ("fartichokes" and "rutabuggers" were intentional misspellings)

Spatchcocked chicken and Spanish Cava, Freixenet Elyssia Gran Cuvée Brut.jpg
Veggies roasted under the chicken and du jus.jpg

Last edited:
The Olive Melts I had mentioned on the n.y.e, menu thread. Hit the spot. I must remember to keep a goodly supply in the freezer and not just during the holidays.
Does that mean you buy them ready made and don't have a recipe for them?

Oh my, no taxy, have never seen them in the store. This is a recipe from, at a guess, the 50's or 60's. So easy. Never done a 'search' for them, are they even out there? will have to check it out.

Edit:
So, yup, there are recipes out there and all are almost identical. Black and green olives vary. I use only black (canned). Have done them with a mix of black and green but didn't like them. I stick to the black olives. I will post mine if you'd like. If you follow a recipe from out there, my advice is to NOT add the salt they usually call for. Between the olives and the cheese they are plenty salty enough.
Mix, spread, quarter, freeze. 10 min at 400 (frozen or not) - great snack. Might even have some more tonight. I often package them up in sandwich baggies so I only need to take out a certain amount at a time.

Last edited:
Oh my, no taxy, have never seen them in the store. This is a recipe from, at a guess, the 50's or 60's. So easy. Never done a 'search' for them, are they even out there? will have to check it out.
So, if you make them, please share your recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom